Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 08:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
But you already knew that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Oh I do, trust me learned the difficult way years ago.

And by inflating needle you mean............
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think they call that ball watching Sadly that is fairly common at the lower levels with rookie officials. I tell younger officials during the pre-game that if they call something in my area typically that means they aren't taking care of their area.

Robby
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I actually did it twice last week. I had just left my sons wrestling tournament and he was probably wrestling at the same time I was officiating. So needless to say my mind was were it shouldn't have been. I even had my hand up and counting as the lead while administering a foul shot lol.

I had to explain to my partner so he didn't think I was a total tool haha.

This even happened one day after I did my first three man game and was complimented by a lot of people. Guess that was Gods way of keeping me humbled lol.

But yeah your partner may not know better. If you are a crew and he (like a lot of ppl I work with) isn't studying he won't learn unless you let him know.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say I "hate" this but it does really bother me: Partners who believe that the other nine players have to be behind the division line when we are shooting foul shots for a technical or intentional foul. I have had half a dozen partners either mention this supposed rule or enforce it already this season, including one who told a first year official that "You can't let the team with the bench in the backcourt talk to their coach in front of their bench because the team on the end where we're shooting can't cross half court to talk to their coach".
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

1 on 1 fast break - you beat the play down court and are in great position, offensive player makes the layup in close proximity to defender, but no contact.......Tweet! - your partner calls a foul on the play from 65+ feet away.....
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Another thing that bugs me

How about the guy that wants to sound a whistle while adm a throw in, after every routine OOB play? I'm hightailin it to get in position as a L, with my back turned 3/4 away from inbounds spot and I hear a whistle. Gets my attention for sure. I've also had to pitch in and work the clock a time or two (now there's something I really hate--much rather be on the court) and when this guy hits his whistle like that while I'm trying to figure out how to get the team or ind fouls totals correct on board...that freaks me.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
How about the guy that wants to sound a whistle while adm a throw in, after every routine OOB play? I'm hightailin it to get in position as a L, with my back turned 3/4 away from inbounds spot and I hear a whistle. Gets my attention for sure. I've also had to pitch in and work the clock a time or two (now there's something I really hate--much rather be on the court) and when this guy hits his whistle like that while I'm trying to figure out how to get the team or ind fouls totals correct on board...that freaks me.
Turn your head, run with your attention focused over your shoulder, keeping your eyes on players at all times.

Something that bugs me? Partners that run while focused on the wall behind the end line not keeping a eye on the players they are responsible for.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I wouldn't say I "hate" this but it does really bother me: Partners who believe that the other nine players have to be behind the division line when we are shooting foul shots for a technical or intentional foul. I have had half a dozen partners either mention this supposed rule or enforce it already this season, including one who told a first year official that "You can't let the team with the bench in the backcourt talk to their coach in front of their bench because the team on the end where we're shooting can't cross half court to talk to their coach".
Was the part in red ever a rule? I find it odd that so many long time referees believe/perpetuate this myth.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Was the part in red ever a rule? I find it odd that so many long time referees believe/perpetuate this myth.
What makes you think this is a myth because of officials? When I tell players to not be on the lane line, they go where they go.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What makes you think this is a myth because of officials? When I tell players to not be on the lane line, they go where they go.

Peace
Because I ask fellow officials, when assigned with them the 1st time, "where are the other 9 player allowed to be when a TF is shot". ~30-35% of "long time" referees state, "behind the division line". We have ~300 members, I am assigned with the same partner on average less than twice per year. I have a lot of personal exposure to officials believing this myth.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Was the part in red ever a rule?
Not in the last 50 years that I'm aware of. Before the 3-point arc came in, they had to be behind the free throw line extended.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Not in the last 50 years that I'm aware of. Before the 3-point arc came in, they had to be behind the free throw line extended.
Thanks JR, I was hoping there was a logical explanation instead of ignorance.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Because I ask fellow officials, when assigned with them the 1st time, "where are the other 9 player allowed to be when a TF is shot". ~30-35% of "long time" referees state, "behind the division line". We have ~300 members, I am assigned with the same partner on average less than twice per year. I have a lot of personal exposure to officials believing this myth.
Maybe that is an area issue and you are not training your officials properly. I see players go places all the time and we tell them nothing about where to stand. Actually I pay very little attention to where players stand other than to not be on the lane. I have seen players go talk to their coach by their bench and they are not behind or even near the division line. And I have a lot of personal exposure to people of all levels of experience and it is usually the very new guys that make this a requirement as they have not been around long enough. I do not know about you, but we have trainings and camps and other things our associations do. If that is a myth that officials in your area are adhering to, that sounds like a training problem in your area.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And I Bet That Mark Padgett Does The Same Thing ...

Quote:
Partners that run while focused on the wall behind the end line.
Not me. I take this opportunity to scan the crowd behind the endline for hot, single, moms.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 14, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I've been to two college games in the last three days and both had Ts. I'm guessing the one at the very beginning of the game was a book and tonight's was on our (home) coach. Both times all players were behind the division line. I esp. thought the Wed. game's crew would know the correct rule, cuz one of the Us does the local clinics before the season starts for the southern region guys.