The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I hate Changes!

I talked to an AD the other night and he said since the people that set up the whole title IX crap is almost done with the college ranks they will be forcing their way into the high school ranks next year. In PA, for the most part Girls play Monday and Thursday and Boys Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday and Saturday are either. He said that part of the changes will force the girls and boys to rotate the days they play. Which means you could have a girls or boys game any day of the week. NO "set" schedule. I for one am getting sick of all this crap.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
I talked to an AD the other night and he said since the people that set up the whole title IX crap is almost done with the college ranks they will be forcing their way into the high school ranks next year. In PA, for the most part Girls play Monday and Thursday and Boys Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday and Saturday are either. He said that part of the changes will force the girls and boys to rotate the days they play. Which means you could have a girls or boys game any day of the week. NO "set" schedule. I for one am getting sick of all this crap.
Honestly, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

What part of PA?

Here in District 3 girls have always played the same as the boys Tues/Fri. For the most part Boys JV/V at home Girls JV/V away versus the same school.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Why is this a problem in your mind? Where I live it is very common for different nights to be for different levels and genders. This has been the case since I was in HS and I am not sure if Title IX had anything to do with it.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobref1
Here in District 3 girls have always played the same as the boys Tues/Fri. For the most part Boys JV/V at home Girls JV/V away versus the same school.
We do it the same here in our section. The only difference is the conferences change what nights they play,I think, on a yearly basis. The advantage is you can see good hoops,girls or boys, 5/6 nights a week.....
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:43am
Esteemed Participant

Around here they flip-flop the schedules and have for a number of years...first half of season, Girls play Tuesday/Friday and boys on Monday/Thursday...second half of season they switch...it's random from year to year who starts the season with the "prime" Friday night slots...really isn't a problem.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
which crap are you referring to? If it's the schedule change thing, I sympathize. But if what you're really sick of is making allowances for other human beings to have a better schedule than they had before, even though it messes with your little program, well, don't get me started...
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

We go with all high school ball on Tu/Fri, and MS ball on M/Th.

High school is generally both JV games at 5:00 in different gyms, with V G/B after that, sometimes with additional sub-varsity/freshman games in the 2nd gym after the first JV game.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Not needed

The major problem that I see is I don't like un-needed changes. The teams schools around here like the routine of games. The only reason that they are changing it is because of Title IX. Why should Tilte IX care which day girls or boys play. I just seeing it as un-needed. I also think it will be more difficult for assignors to cover the games. Our chapter is all ready low on officials. Thats my beef!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

and if a high school AD said it, it must be true!!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Could be worse. Around here you have to work girl/boy double headers most nights. In addition, we have separate athletic unions so we have to join both. Pay dues for both, take different tests for both. It kind of sucks, but that's the way it goes.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:20pm

I think the the legal eagles may have been in places already. We've always done it with girl/boy doubleheaders mainly on Tuesdays and Fridays. For some reason they changed about 4 years ago so that the boys would play first followed by the girls. It backfired and they have been back to girls first ever since. Fortunately I think the girls games are getting more popular as time goes on as the players are getting better and better what with all the youth leagues and tournaments they can play in. I'm at the school of the defending 5A girls champions tonight. They pull in pretty good crowds. These were a group of girls that grew up playing in tournaments and games as kids all over and it paid off for them. And the crowds follow.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't see the big deal. Even though the scheduling may switch around the total number of games is still the same, so I don't see how it could have a significant effect on availability of officials.

It doesn't matter to me whether I work boys or girls games. Overall I work a fairly evenly split mix, but it varies from week to week. For example, this week I have 5 boys & 1 girls game on my schedule, but next week I have 4 girls and 2 boys games. Our association covers both boys & girls games at all levels for our area. We have 300+ members and cover over 7000 games each season - all handled by one assignor.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

What I think you will see is more specialization of refs. Certain refs will be boys refs and others will be girls refs. In my area we have two different assignors for boys and another for girls (and another for JV and below, another for rec league, another for christian schools and yet another for catholic schools - talk about confusion!).
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
What I think you will see is more specialization of refs. Certain refs will be boys refs and others will be girls refs. In my area we have two different assignors for boys and another for girls (and another for JV and below, another for rec league, another for christian schools and yet another for catholic schools - talk about confusion!).
Well, if Title IX really gets steamrolling, will that be allowed? If it's already dictating (at least to some degree) schedules and facilities, will there come a time when they begin to mandate that the girls must have the same officials too?