The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Foul on last second shot

End of the third quarter and the ball is passed in to A1. A1 turns to shoot and the ball is blocked and never leaves his hand. B1 fouls the airborne shooter after time expires on the horn. What procedure must we follow? Do we ignore the foul since it was after the horn? Do we still have a foul since the shooter is airborne? Thanks for the help.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 09:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
End of the third quarter and the ball is passed in to A1. A1 turns to shoot and the ball is blocked and never leaves his hand. B1 fouls the airborne shooter after time expires on the horn. What procedure must we follow? Do we ignore the foul since it was after the horn? Do we still have a foul since the shooter is airborne? Thanks for the help.
shoot the shots. A foul on or by an airborne shooter, even when the ball is dead, is still a personal foul.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 10:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
So, B1 stuffed A1? I have a held ball or nothing. You would have to describe in more detail what B1 did. And when.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
So, B1 stuffed A1? I have a held ball or nothing. You would have to describe in more detail what B1 did. And when.
He said A1 had his shot blocked, but he didn't say it was B1.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2011, 10:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He said A1 had his shot blocked, but he didn't say it was B1.
He will have to describe the play in greater detail then.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

from what is described here unless the contact it pretty severe it sounds like a no call.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
shoot the shots. A foul on or by an airborne shooter, even when the ball is dead, is still a personal foul.
However, there is no airborne shooter in this play by definition, so unless the foul is deemed to be intentional or flagrant the contact is to be ignored by rule.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Doh! Good point.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry everyone. I should have been a bit more specific. What I am wanting to know is can there be a foul after the horn for the end of a quarter or game?

Is the contact ignored if you have an airborne shooter and the foul occurs after the horn?

I am looking for a rule or case that supports this.

Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry everyone. I should have been a bit more specific. What I am wanting to know is can there be a foul after the horn for the end of a quarter or game?

Is the contact ignored if you have an airborne shooter and the foul occurs after the horn?

Thanks for the help.
If he is indeed an airborne shooter (he has to have released the shot), then yes, you can have a foul after the horn.
4-19-1 is your rule reference.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Is there a B2 in your play?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Does the horn end the period? See 6-1-2 Excp
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he is indeed an airborne shooter (he has to have released the shot), then yes, you can have a foul after the horn.
4-19-1 is your rule reference.
So...you're saying A1 cannot be an airborne shooter if he never releases the ball? Ever? Really?

Hmmm, I would have thought that beginning the habitual throwing movement would be enough to designate A1 as a shooter. I would also have thought that it is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

Or was what you were getting at that when airborne A1 was prevented from releasing the try it resulted in a held ball, the ball becoming dead, thus ending the try? Thus any contact would be ignored unless it was intentional or flagrant.

Yeah, that had to be it.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
So...you're saying A1 cannot be an airborne shooter if he never releases the ball? Ever? Really?

Hmmm, I would have thought that beginning the habitual throwing movement would be enough to designate A1 as a shooter. I would also have thought that it is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.

Or was what you were getting at that when airborne A1 was prevented from releasing the try it resulted in a held ball, the ball becoming dead, thus ending the try? Thus any contact would be ignored unless it was intentional or flagrant.

Yeah, that had to be it.
Snaqs is saying that because NFHS rule 4-1 states that "An airborne shooter is a player who has RELEASED the ball on a try for a goal......", A1 cannot be an airborne shooter if he never releases the ball. Never! Really!

Yeah, that had to be it.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2011, 08:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

Yeah, that had to be it.
As Jurassic stated.....

Additionally, for the purposes of determining if it's a personal foul for contact during a dead ball, it matters whether the player is an "airborne shooter" by definition. If he doesn't release the ball before the horn sounds, the ball is dead and he is not an airborne shooter; therefore if he's contacted after the horn, it's either a T or nothing.