The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Time out

A1 has ball ; B1 grabs ball (held) can either coach ask for a time out (Ref has not made a call yet).
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 03:17pm
Official & Member

Sure. Either coach can request a time out. The issue is whether it should be granted. Is there player control at this point? That would be the key to the answer to your question.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 03:20pm.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Opinion: Held Ball ...

Sounds like both A1 and B1 have player control. Does that mean that either coach, or a player on either team, can request and be granted a timeout? Or does it mean that the official should call a held ball, even if opponents do not have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

4-25-1 A held ball occurs when opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness

No control, no TO.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
A1 has ball ; B1 grabs ball (held) can either coach ask for a time out (Ref has not made a call yet).
A1 has the ball, so Team A has team control.

Until the held ball is whistled, Team A can request a timeout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Sure. Either coach can request a time out.
Actually, both can't. Team A has team control. Team control doesn't end until the ball is dead, there's a shot or Team B gains player/team control. In this play, there's never player/team control by Team B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
4-25-1 A held ball occurs when opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness

No control, no TO.
The rule is addressing control of the ball, not team or player control.

Team A has player/team control and can request a timeout prior to a held ball being declared.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, both can't. Team A has team control. Team control doesn't end until the ball is dead, there's a shot or Team B gains player/team control. In this play, there's never player/team control by Team B
Are you sure about that? Isn't the underlying point of a held ball that team A and team B both have control? The player from team B IS holding the ball....which fits the requirements for establishing team control...yet team A hasn't lost control since they're still holding it. If that were not the case, we'd never have a held ball.
Old Mon Dec 27, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are you sure about that? Isn't the underlying point of a held ball that team A and team B both have control? The player from team B IS holding the ball....which fits the requirements for establishing team control...yet team A hasn't lost control since they're still holding it. If that were not the case, we'd never have a held ball.
Here's my point. We can't have it both ways.

If it's held ball, then there should be a whistle.

If there's not a whistle, then there's no held ball and Team A still has team control. You can't deny them a timeout.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, but until a held ball is whistled team A is the ONLY team with team control.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yes, but until a held ball is whistled team A is the ONLY team with team control.
What makes team control...having a player holding the ball. Is player B holding the ball? If so, they've met the definition for team control.

A held ball is called, in a sense, because both teams have control.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What makes team control...having a player holding the ball. Is player B holding the ball? If so, they've met the definition for team control.

A held ball is called, in a sense, because both teams have control.
Yes but when both ARE holding the ball...

----

Quote:

No control, no TO.

Team A has player/team control and can request a timeout prior to a held ball being declared.

----

So team a has team and player control BUT B does not.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Yes but when both ARE holding the ball...

----

Quote:

No control, no TO.

----

So team a has team and player control BUT B does not.
Once both teams get there hands on the ball, it can only be either dual player/team control or no player control for either (although team control may persist). A timeout is either no longer an option for either team or a timeout is an option for both.

(Now that I've thought about this a bit more, I'm going to flip on my reasoning but the result is the same.)

I believe neither player has control. Perhaps team control doesn't end (this doesn't really matter), but player control does end.

The rule you cited doesn't refer to which team/player is which in referring to not being able to obtain control but refers to them as opponents. It is saying that NEITHER player has control when both are holding the ball. It establishes the concept that player control exists only when a player is holding the ball alone. If you think about it, the whole point of player control is that the player is in control of the ball and is free to do what they wish with the ball (dribble, shoot, pass). And that is something they can not do if someone else is also holding it.

Once B gets their hands on the ball, player A (not necessarily team A) has lost player control and the option of a timeout is gone.

The only things that can happen next is that someone gains player control by pulling the ball free or a held ball is called.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 05:14am.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 09:15am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Once both teams get there hands on the ball, it can only be either dual player/team control or no player control for either (although team control may persist). A timeout is either no longer an option for either team or a timeout is an option for both.

(Now that I've thought about this a bit more, I'm going to flip on my reasoning but the result is the same.)

I believe neither player has control. Perhaps team control doesn't end (this doesn't really matter), but player control does end.

The rule you cited doesn't refer to which team/player is which in referring to not being able to obtain control but refers to them as opponents. It is saying that NEITHER player has control when both are holding the ball. It establishes the concept that player control exists only when a player is holding the ball alone. If you think about it, the whole point of player control is that the player is in control of the ball and is free to do what they wish with the ball (dribble, shoot, pass). And that is something they can not do if someone else is also holding it.

Once B gets their hands on the ball, player A (not necessarily team A) has lost player control and the option of a timeout is gone.

The only things that can happen next is that someone gains player control by pulling the ball free or a held ball is called.
And then a time out request may be granted to either team. Though it probably will not be wanted in most cases.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The rules do not support dual team or player control. Also, the rule referred to above does not address player control. The rule refers to physically controlling the ball, not team or player control.

Maybe it's semantics, if both players are holding the ball AND the official hits the whistle, THEN it becomes a held ball. Until the held ball is whistled, Team A still has player and team control.

As a matter of practice, I always see the timeout granted if it's whistled before the held ball is whistled.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 09:57am.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

OK, another question related to this.

Suppose the given scenario does indeed occur and you have a double whistle. The L is calling a jump ball and the T is calling for a time out by Team B. Do you then grant the TO and put the ball in play by AP rules (would be my thought) or.......?

Robby
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
OK, another question related to this.

Suppose the given scenario does indeed occur and you have a double whistle. The L is calling a jump ball and the T is calling for a time out by Team B. Do you then grant the TO and put the ball in play by AP rules (would be my thought) or.......?
Since I'm pretty admant that Team B can't call timout in this situation, I think you know my answer.