Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Putting Time on the Clock for Requested Time Out

5.0 Seconds remain in the game.

Score is Team A 60 Team B 59.

A1 misses a free throw which is rebounded by B5. B5 quickly outlets a pass to B1. As the Center opposite the benches, you think you hear a timeout request from Team B bench area (you note the clock at 4.0 seconds). Just to be sure, you hold your whistle and to confirm that it was, indeed the HC for Team B requesting the timeout. Once confirmed, as the Center you sound your whistle (at the 1.9 second mark). The timer stops the clock at the 1.7 second mark.

Based on the above information, I believe that I can have the clock set to 4.0 seconds since that is when I originally heard the request (with definite knowledge). A counter to my position says that only 1.9 seconds can be put back onto the clock since that was the time when the whistle sounded/hand went up to stop the clock. This position stated that only timing ERRORS can be corrected. Since the whistle did not actually sound until the 1.9 second mark, the additional 1.1 seconds was not actually a timing ERROR, but rather a delay on the part of the official.

In this case, in this situation, I want to make ABSOLUTE CERTAIN that I am only granting the timeout to the HEAD COACH. I believe that a slow whistle here could save major problems. BUT, I was unable to find a specific case describing the first situation (delay in calling the timeout to be sure it was being legally called).

Now, I think that I could easily argue that it took 1.1 seconds of delay from the time my hand initially starting being raised until the time the whistle sounded, but is there any Case support for going to 4.0 seconds as opposed to 1.9 seconds?

Of course, I am going to put the ball in play where it was at the 4.0 seconds mark.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Mar 01, 2009 at 09:51am.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

The clock is to stop at the whistle. You might have an argument to put 1.9 on the clock, but not 4, though I would not do so.

The NFHS guidance that officials should check that the head coach is requesting time-out is not a reason for adding time to the clock.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

4.0 - 1.9 = 2.1, not 1.1

2.1s is a significant amount of time!

No, I do not believe that you can revert the clock to 4.0s. Sucks, but Team B must live with the 1.9s.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The clock is to stop at the whistle. You might have an argument to put 1.9 on the clock, but not 4, though I would not do so.

The NFHS guidance that officials should check that the head coach is requesting time-out is not a reason for adding time to the clock.
Not to be picky, but isn't the timer actually supposed to start and stop the clock on the officials hand movement (isn't that the "signal" used by the official)? I realize that the whistle is what draws the attention to the official and, hence, the hand. But, technically, isn't the signal to stop the clock made with the hand as opposed to with the whistle.

When I am observing the clock for definite knowledge on a timeout, I am not looking at the clock as I am sounding my whistle, I am looking at the clock at the time I recognized the time out request. There can be some lag, here -- more than .2 seconds.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
5.0 Seconds remain in the game.

As the Center opposite the benches, you think you hear a timeout request from Team B bench area (you note the clock at 4.0 seconds). Just to be sure, you hold your whistle and to confirm that it was, indeed the HC for Team B requesting the timeout. Once confirmed, as the Center you sound your whistle (at the 1.9 second mark). The timer stops the clock at the 1.7 second mark.
The timeout request was made at the 4.0 second mark. The timeout request was not granted at that time. The timeout request was granted at the 1.9 second mark. The clock was stopped at the 1.7 second mark.

The clock was stopped properly under rule 5-8-3. If the official was looking at the clock when he granted the timeout request, under rule 5-10-1 he can put back up the exact time that he saw on the clock when he granted the request.

By following the rules, you put 1.9 seconds back on the clock.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Employees and their families are not eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
The timeout request was made at the 4.0 second mark. The timeout request was not granted at that time. The timeout request was granted at the 1.9 second mark. The clock was stopped at the 1.7 second mark. The clock was stopped properly under rule 5-8-3. If the official was looking at the clock when he granted the timeout request, under rule 5-10-1 he can put back up the exact time that he saw on the clock when he granted the request. By following the rules, you put 1.9 seconds back on the clock.
I had some questions in my mind before this post, but now I'm certain, this is a new Old School. I think that I'm going to like this Old School.

Old_School: Welcome to the jungle, I mean, to the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just an observation, as an official, knowing the game situation and all, shouldn't you be anticipating some kind of TO request by the losing team. Especially being that you are facing the table. I think its just a matter of being aware so that extra time doesn't run off.

With that being said, the coach should have been more aware of the officials that are closer to him. The coach should have been requesting the timeout as the new lead is running by. The coach should have made it more well known what his wishes were. I have in many situations told the official if there is a make/miss situation that I will want a TO. Many times they tell me that they are aware, but I will have to repeat my request once the play occurs. All in all, the coach knows what he wants and didn't make it 100% clear until more time ran off the clock.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Given the language of 5-8-3, its reasonable to spend 1-2 seconds to verify the timeout is being requested properly. I'm usually against putting ANY time on the clock in ANY situation, but will when the rules make it clear that I should or the clock operator clearly messed up.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
shouldn't you be anticipating some kind of TO request by the losing team
Absolutely. HOWEVER, first priority is to officiate the play on the floor. If there's a press and/or attempts to foul to stop the clock, you have to concentrate on that.

This is an area to pregame. What I like to do is tell my guys, if possible, try to get the C opposite the table in late game close score situations. This benefits us in more ways than one.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Just an observation, as an official, knowing the game situation and all, shouldn't you be anticipating some kind of TO request by the losing team. Especially being that you are facing the table. I think its just a matter of being aware so that extra time doesn't run off.

With that being said, the coach should have been more aware of the officials that are closer to him. The coach should have been requesting the timeout as the new lead is running by. The coach should have made it more well known what his wishes were. I have in many situations told the official if there is a make/miss situation that I will want a TO. Many times they tell me that they are aware, but I will have to repeat my request once the play occurs. All in all, the coach knows what he wants and didn't make it 100% clear until more time ran off the clock.
Actually, the coach was trying to clearly articulate the timeout in this case. The official just wanted to make sure that he had the correct team (and person requesting it).

In this real game situation (not involving yours truly), apparently the calling official put 4.3 seconds back on the clock. An "observer" (do NOT read as official observer, but rather an individual watching the game) indicated that the following took place:
1. The clock started properly on the missed shot,
2. The team brought the ball up court,
3. The official signaled his for the timeout by raising an open hand and sounding his whistle,
4. The clock operator properly stopped the clock instantly at 1.7 seconds,
5. The officials conferenced and put 4.3 seconds back onto the clock.

The only explanation that I could come up with to describe what happened is that one of the officials (calling official) likely observed the clock when calling the timeout. It took some amount of time from recognition of the official blowing his whistle and the stopping of the clock. The official deemed that he had seen the clock at 4.3 seconds when he first recognized the request for the timeout. It took a second or so to call the timeout and another second or so to recognize the request.

My question back to the observer was "where was the ball put back into play?" If the official was in the process of recognizing the timeout at 4.3 seconds, obviously the ball should have been put in play back significantly further into the backcourt (.7 seconds worth of time to pass/dribble) than the ball was at the 1.7 second mark.

There could have been all kinds of explanations as to what really happened -- a second official MAY have actually raised his hand to recognize the timeout, the official MAY have actually recognized the timeout at the 4.3 second mark, etc.

I was merely trying to guess as to WHY the officials may have done something that did not seem to make sense to a potentially-biased observer.

I try to quickly glance in these situations at the coaches (generally a quick look "through the players" from C or T will capture both benches -- following a missed FT the C would have been opposite the table and should have been able to see both benches/coaches). I have no idea why 1 - 2 SECONDS would have passed between the time the timeout was formally recognized by the officials AND the time the timer actually stopped the clock. If a coach asks for a timeout, it should not take more than a 1/2 second or so to glance to confirm it is the HC and make the call. 2.6 seconds tells me that SOMETHING else likely happened differently than the reporting "observer" was describing.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue using.

NFHS 6-7: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 1 . A goal, as in 5-1, is made.
ART. 2 . It is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a:
a. Free throw which is to be followed by another free throw.
b. Free throw which is to be followed by a throw-in.
ART. 3 . A held ball occurs, or the ball lodges between the backboard and
ring or comes to rest on the flange.
ART. 4 . A player-control or team-control foul occurs.
ART. 5 . An official’s whistle is blown.
ART. 6 . Time expires for a quarter or extra period.
ART. 7 . A foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs.
ART. 8 . A free-throw violation by the throwing team, as in 9-1, occurs.
ART. 9 . A violation, as in 9-2 through 13, occurs.

Nothing here about requesting, or granting, a timeout. The clock stops when the whistle is blown granting the timeout, certainly not when the timeout is requested.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)