The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:01am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So if it was a try, it only counts as 2; but if it's a pass, it's 3? Either way it's a ball thrown from behind the arc.
It sure seems that way. If there's clearly a try for three, and it falls below the rim, then the try for three is done, hence the two points.

However, if there never was a try for three, then it can't end, and any defensive deflection of a offense's ball from beyond the arc will still count as three.

I tend to think it would cut both ways, though. If A-1 is in the lane, and attempts a pass to A-2 in the corner, but it's blocked hard into the basket by B-3, who is next to A-2 and outside the arc, I would say that's a two-pointer. Again, it's where the offense releases the ball, right?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if it was a try, it only counts as 2; but if it's a pass, it's 3? Either way it's a ball thrown from behind the arc.

On the 2nd one, it never hits A2's hands.
If it's a try, the try is over when it's apparent it won't score. So it's NOT a try. It's just a B player that knocked the ball into A's basket.

And yes, I missed that it didn't hit the hands and changed that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:55am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

However, if there never was a try for three, then it can't end, and any defensive deflection of a offense's ball from beyond the arc will still count as three.
not true

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It sure seems that way. If there's clearly a try for three, and it falls below the rim, then the try for three is done, hence the two points.

I tend to think it would cut both ways, though. If A-1 is in the lane, and attempts a pass to A-2 in the corner, but it's blocked hard into the basket by B-3, who is next to A-2 and outside the arc, I would say that's a two-pointer. Again, it's where the offense releases the ball, right?

The only way to reconcile the two cases is to accept that it is based not on the intent of the original throw but on the trajectory of the ball as it leaves the original thrower's hands. If it leaves the thrower's hand on a path towards the basket, count it for 3 if it goes in. Once it is not heading towards the basket, it can no longer be a 3.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 07:22am
In Memoriam

What Camron said.

If it's got a chance to go in, treat it as a try. If it doesn't have a chance to go in or if the try has ended under NFHS R4-41-4, treat it as a loose ball. Rule accordingly in both cases.

And quit thinking so damn much.....
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 07:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I just don't know what to do with BktBallRef and Jurassic Referee disagreeing? My head might explode.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I just don't know what to do with BktBallRef and Jurassic Referee disagreeing? My head might explode.
Where did we disagree?

He said a try is over if when it's apparent that it won't score. That's what 4-41-4 says also.

Methinks BktBallRef, Camron and myself are saying the same thing but maybe with different semantics.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 08:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Where did we disagree?

He said a try is over if when it's apparent that it won't score. That's what 4-41-4 says also.

Methinks BktBallRef, Camron and myself are saying the same thing but maybe with different semantics.
When he suggested this play:
Quote:
Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.
is a three. Maybe I didn't describe it well, but that pass never had a chance to go in.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 08:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
When he suggested this play:
is a three. Maybe I didn't describe it well, but that pass never had a chance to go in.
Ah...

I didn't even read that one. Agree. That ain't a 3 by rule as per the reason cited above by you.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
3. No different than the case play.

Nope. 3. No different than the case play. Both interpreters are wrong.

2. As Jurassic stated, once it's fallen below the basket, it's a 2.
I can't see the logic in this, TH. You're giving conflicting statements above imo. As in highlighted in red #2 above, the ball has fallen below the basket in both cases where you say they should be 3's. In both of those cases the ball did not have a chance to go in either before the touching below the ring. That's why they both should be ruled 2's.

Disagree.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 08:48am.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I can't see the logic in this, TH. You're giving conflicting statements above imo. As in highlighted in red #2 above, the ball has fallen below the basket in both cases where you say they should be 3's. In both of those cases the ball did not have a chance to go in either before the touching below the ring. That's why they both should be ruled 2's.

Disagree.
Here's Snaq's play.

Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.

There is no logic and no difference in the case play. And according to the case play, it's a 3.

5.2.1 SITUATION C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. RULING: In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line. In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.

While it's nice to think trajectory has something to do with it, the rule and case play don't support it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Here's Snaq's play.

There is no logic and no difference in the case play. And according to the case play, it's a 3.

5.2.1 SITUATION C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. RULING: In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line. In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.

While it's nice to think trajectory has something to do with it, the rule and case play don't support it.
Then how do they support the understanding that try is somehow different? 4.41.4B has no rule justification; it's still a thrown ball. But we're supposed to give the offense 3 points if it's a pass but 2 if it's a try?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

New sitch:
A1, standing in the three point area at the wing, attempts a bounce pass to A2 at the top of the key. Just as he releases the pass, B2 comes running down the court between A1 and A2 (he was late) and the ball hits his knee before hitting the floor, and flies into the hoop.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:56pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
New sitch:
A1, standing in the three point area at the wing, attempts a bounce pass to A2 at the top of the key. Just as he releases the pass, B2 comes running down the court between A1 and A2 (he was late) and the ball hits his knee before hitting the floor, and flies into the hoop.
Reach for the sky.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories Of The Way We Were ...

Quote:
It used to a long time ago. If we thought it was a pass, rather than a shot, from behind the three point line, and the ball went in the hoop, then only two points were scored. We were really good mind readers back then.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)