The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pass that goes in. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60220-pass-goes.html)

youngref33 Tue Dec 21, 2010 01:23pm

Pass that goes in.

A a non basketball official buddy of mine called and asked me about this play. Happened in a varsity game the other night.

Kid is at the top of the key and is going to pass the ball to the left wing. The offensive player is behind the 3 point line. The offensive player attempts to pass the ball to the wing and its deflected by the defense who is in front of the 3 points line. Ball goes into the basket off the deflection.

Is it a 2 or 3?

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 01:24pm

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 21, 2010 01:27pm

It is a case play, I believe. I had a similar play last season.

Scratch85 Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:09pm

5.2.1C(b)

A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point arc. The ball is legally touched by B1 who is in the two-point area and then it goes directly through A's basket. Ruling; three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line.

Score 3!

youngref33 Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:20pm

Thanks. I guess they ruled it a 2. I thought it would be a 3, but thats not a play we see everyday!

bob jenkins Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngref33 (Post 709002)
A a non basketball official buddy of mine called and asked me about this play. Happened in a varsity game the other night.

Kid is at the top of the key and is going to pass the ball to the left wing. The offensive player is behind the 3 point line. The offensive player attempts to pass the ball to the wing and its deflected by the defense who is in front of the 3 points line. Ball goes into the basket off the deflection.

Is it a 2 or 3?

FED or NCAA (or other)?

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:25pm

I know we've had this discussion here before, and I'm not convinced this rule is meant to apply to all cases.

Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.

youngref33 Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 709017)
FED or NCAA (or other)?

High School

bob jenkins Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709019)
I know we've had this discussion here before, and I'm not convinced this rule is meant to apply to all cases.

I wish that it wouldn't, but I think that it does.

I think the NCAA rule is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngref33 (Post 709023)
High School

Then you've been given the correct answer (assuming your HS plays by FED rules)

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:45pm

If it is deemed to be a try, then it is 3 points. If it is definitely not a try, then it is 2 points. My play had a pass parallel to the floor into the post that got deflected, changed direction dramatically and went into the basket. The OP sounds similar to my play. My interpreter and my former interpreter both indicated that 2 points was correct in this case. One is Fed & the other is IAABO.

bainsey Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:46pm

Quote:

Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.

Arms up, Snaq. That's a three.

Had the ball hit a teammate or official in the paint (despite really bad positioning by stripes), then it would be a two. (See 5.2.1 C)

mbyron Tue Dec 21, 2010 02:57pm

Quote:

Does not need to be a try in order to count 3. Assuming the antecedent of "him" above is B1, your play is a 3-point bucket, since it is not ruled out by the exclusions under 5-2-1.

5-2-1:

"A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."

DLH17 Tue Dec 21, 2010 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 709034)
Does not need to be a try in order to count 3. Assuming the antecedent of "him" above is B1, your play is a 3-point bucket, since it is not ruled out by the exclusions under 5-2-1.

5-2-1:

is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."

This is why I love this forum.:)

Adam Tue Dec 21, 2010 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 709034)

5-2-1:

I didn't say it needed to be a try.

Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.

Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A

2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.

Y'all giving three for both of these?

Scratch85 Tue Dec 21, 2010 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 709037)
I didn't say it needed to be a try.

Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.

Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A

2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.

Y'all giving three for both of these?

As I understand the rule, Yes. But I hope it never comes up and I don't have to. :D

Wasn't it just a few years ago that an interp was around that it required a try to count as three? Of course that would have been before the more recent case play.