The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Pass that goes in.

A a non basketball official buddy of mine called and asked me about this play. Happened in a varsity game the other night.

Kid is at the top of the key and is going to pass the ball to the left wing. The offensive player is behind the 3 point line. The offensive player attempts to pass the ball to the wing and its deflected by the defense who is in front of the 3 points line. Ball goes into the basket off the deflection.

Is it a 2 or 3?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 01:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It is a case play, I believe. I had a similar play last season.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

5.2.1C(b)

A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point arc. The ball is legally touched by B1 who is in the two-point area and then it goes directly through A's basket. Ruling; three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line.

Score 3!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I guess they ruled it a 2. I thought it would be a 3, but thats not a play we see everyday!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
A a non basketball official buddy of mine called and asked me about this play. Happened in a varsity game the other night.

Kid is at the top of the key and is going to pass the ball to the left wing. The offensive player is behind the 3 point line. The offensive player attempts to pass the ball to the wing and its deflected by the defense who is in front of the 3 points line. Ball goes into the basket off the deflection.

Is it a 2 or 3?
FED or NCAA (or other)?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know we've had this discussion here before, and I'm not convinced this rule is meant to apply to all cases.

Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED or NCAA (or other)?
High School
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I know we've had this discussion here before, and I'm not convinced this rule is meant to apply to all cases.
I wish that it wouldn't, but I think that it does.

I think the NCAA rule is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
High School
Then you've been given the correct answer (assuming your HS plays by FED rules)
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If it is deemed to be a try, then it is 3 points. If it is definitely not a try, then it is 2 points. My play had a pass parallel to the floor into the post that got deflected, changed direction dramatically and went into the basket. The OP sounds similar to my play. My interpreter and my former interpreter both indicated that 2 points was correct in this case. One is Fed & the other is IAABO.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:46pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.
Arms up, Snaq. That's a three.

Had the ball hit a teammate or official in the paint (despite really bad positioning by stripes), then it would be a two. (See 5.2.1 C)
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Does not need to be a try in order to count 3. Assuming the antecedent of "him" above is B1, your play is a 3-point bucket, since it is not ruled out by the exclusions under 5-2-1.

5-2-1:

"A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Does not need to be a try in order to count 3. Assuming the antecedent of "him" above is B1, your play is a 3-point bucket, since it is not ruled out by the exclusions under 5-2-1.

5-2-1:

is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."
This is why I love this forum.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

5-2-1:

I didn't say it needed to be a try.

Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.

Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A

2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.

Y'all giving three for both of these?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say it needed to be a try.

Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.

Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A

2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.

Y'all giving three for both of these?
As I understand the rule, Yes. But I hope it never comes up and I don't have to.

Wasn't it just a few years ago that an interp was around that it required a try to count as three? Of course that would have been before the more recent case play.

Last edited by Scratch85; Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 03:21pm.