Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I didn't say it needed to be a try.

Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.

Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A

2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.

Y'all giving three for both of these?

Reading the rule, I don't know how you could award anything else.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Arms up, Snaq. That's a three.

Had the ball hit a teammate or official in the paint (despite really bad positioning by stripes), then it would be a two. (See 5.2.1 C)
We've been round and round on this before and there is a difference of opinion.

Many (perhaps most) feel the "thrown ball" rule is written with the assumption that the ball is thrown toward the area of the basket....and that a deflection that redirects the ball to the basket is no longer a "thrown ball"....particularly a deflection on a ball that is not going above the rim or is on its way down. The purpose of this rule is NOT to turn a wild deflection into 3 points but to take the judgement out of the case where a ball, as released, may or may not have been a try but goes directly into the basket....and that a brush (not a redirection) by a defender doesn't change the status of the thrown ball.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Many (perhaps most) feel the "thrown ball" rule is written with the assumption that the ball is thrown toward the area of the basket....and that a deflection that redirects the ball to the basket is no longer a "thrown ball"....particularly a deflection on a ball that is not going above the rim or is on its way down. The purpose of this rule is NOT to turn a wild deflection into 3 points but to take the judgement out of the case where a ball, as released, may or may not have been a try but goes directly into the basket....and that a brush (not a redirection) by a defender doesn't change the status of the thrown ball.
Well said, Camron, thanks.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
5-2-1:

"A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."
Quote:

That is a lot to read in to rule 5-2-1.

I agree the rule was written to take the judgement out. Taking the position above is adding a lot of judgement back in.

IMO, 5-2-1 and 5.2.1C(b) in the case book gives us only one choice. Count it as 3.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
That is a lot to read in to rule 5-2-1.

I agree the rule was written to take the judgement out. Taking the position above is adding a lot of judgement back in.

IMO, 5-2-1 and 5.2.1C(b) in the case book gives us only one choice. Count it as 3.
If you go back to when it was changed and the reason it was changed, it is not so hard to come to that conclusion.

There is another case play (someone else can look it up) that has a thrown ball (try) that bounces off a defender's head and into the basket. The ball was thrown from behind the 3-point arc. The ruling in that case play is that it counts for 2 points. Why? At the point in time where the "try" is over (certain it will not be successful, below the rim, hits the floor, etc.) the thrown ball can no longer score for 3 points....any subsequent deflection is a NEW action. So, a thrown ball that can not possibly go in as released is not subject to being 3-points.

The judgement removed is in the intent of the thrower, not whether the "try" has ended or not. The former requires the reading of a mind. The latter only requires the observation of physical facts.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you go back to when it was changed and the reason it was changed, it is not so hard to come to that conclusion.

There is another case play (someone else can look it up) that has a thrown ball (try) that bounces off a defender's head and into the basket. The ball was thrown from behind the 3-point arc. The ruling in that case play is that it counts for 2 points. Why? At the point in time where the "try" is over (certain it will not be successful, below the rim, hits the floor, etc.) the thrown ball can no longer score for 3 points....any subsequent deflection is a NEW action. So, a thrown ball that can not possibly go in as released is not subject to being 3-points.

The judgement removed is in the intent of the thrower, not whether the "try" has ended or not. The former requires the reading of a mind. The latter only requires the observation of physical facts.
Agree. The difference is that the thrown ball is deflected up by the defender. If it comes down through the basket, it's considered as a 3-point try. If the same deflected pass comes down short though, as soon as it falls below the rim it is no longer considered as being a try. Hence the confusion. The original question in the OP was referring to the start of the play. Snaqs was talking about a possible end of that play instead.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Agree. The difference is that the thrown ball is deflected up by the defender. If it comes down through the basket, it's considered as a 3-point try. If the same deflected pass comes down short though, as soon as it falls below the rim it is no longer considered as being a try. Hence the confusion. The original question in the OP was referring to the start of the play. Snaqs was talking about a possible end of that play instead.
The difference is that, prior to the deflection, the ball had NO chance of going in. The direction of the deflection doesn't matter. In fact, I'd bet that all deflections where this could even be considered would be deflections in the upward direction.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 10:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The difference is that, prior to the deflection, the ball had NO chance of going in. The direction of the deflection doesn't matter.
Agreed. A1 throws an alley oop pass from outside the arc. If untouched, the ball would have hit the board just above and two feet to the left of the rim. Before A2 can get to it, the ball, while on its downward flight, is deflected by B1 into the basket.

2 points

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 10:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

I get what you guys are saying and it makes sense to me logically but it definitely doesn't jive with the rule (not the first time for sure). I'll look for that Case Play that Camron references. If one of you comes across it, please post it here.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I get what you guys are saying and it makes sense to me logically but it definitely doesn't jive with the rule (not the first time for sure). I'll look for that Case Play that Camron references. If one of you comes across it, please post it here.
The case play is 4.41.4 Situation B.

A1's three-point try is short and bleow ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a)A2; or (b)B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket. Ruling: the three-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 11:47pm.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: A1 (standing at the top-right of the key in the 3 pt area) passes towards A2, cutting through the lane on the opposite side. Just as A2, standing in the paint, is about to catch the ball, B1 runs in and it hits him in the head and goes into the basket.
3. No different than the case play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
If it is deemed to be a try, then it is 3 points. If it is definitely not a try, then it is 2 points. My play had a pass parallel to the floor into the post that got deflected, changed direction dramatically and went into the basket. The OP sounds similar to my play. My interpreter and my former interpreter both indicated that 2 points was correct in this case. One is Fed & the other is IAABO.
Nope. 3. No different than the case play. Both interpreters are wrong.

Quote:
I didn't say it needed to be a try.
26 year gap did.

Quote:
Sitch 2: A1 shoots a three point shot, but it falls short and is an air ball. A2 and B2 attempt to get the rebound, but B2 outjumps A2 and is able to tip it and it goes in.
2. The try ended when it was apparent it wouldn't score.

Quote:
Sitch 3: A1, from the corner (3 pt area), passes an alley oop pass towards A2. However, the pass sails over A2's hands and the basket. After going over the basket it hits B2 in the a) hands or b) head and bounces into the basket.
2. As Jurassic stated, once it's fallen below the basket, it's a 2.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Dec 22, 2010 at 12:15am.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The case play is 4-41-4 Situation B.
Now I am conflicted! I hate when this happens.

This case play showed up somewhere between 03-04 and 07-08. 5.2.1C was in the books in 2003. This leads me to believe the Fed wanted to make a point as described by Snaqs/Camron and anyone else who supported that thought. Why else would they add it after 5.2.1C already existed?

Similar to what my "chops bustin'" friend has been known to say, I guess ol' Scratch is full of shiz nit. I am re-thinking this one!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The case play is 4-41-4 Situation B.

The case play is 4.41.4 Situation B.

Rules = dashes, case plays = dots.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, caught that right after I posted, edited shortly after <_<
Old Wed Dec 22, 2010, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
2. The try ended when it was apparent it wouldn't score.

2. When the ball touched A2's hands, it's no longer possible for a 3 to be scored.
So if it was a try, it only counts as 2; but if it's a pass, it's 3? Either way it's a ball thrown from behind the arc.

On the 2nd one, it never hits A2's hands.