The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Haha...I was more wondering who jeffpea would have take the call in the play. Is this one of the plays that the C shouldn't call as it is a drive to the basket? It is a secondary defender, but it was in the C's primary.

For what it's worth, I would have a player control foul as well and would have the C take the call though I see nothing wrong with a double whistle from the lead.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 11:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just wanted to note that this play happened before the rule change for secondary defenders attempting to take a charge.
Gotcha. I was wondering if that was it because I couldn't see anything else that would make this a block.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Between the lead and the point of contact were two other players who were uninvolved in the collision. He was triple stacked. I don't think he even had a look at the play....he was guessing (and got it wrong). But, it was a secondary defender so, the lead must have been right since it was his primary (or coming towards him).

Yes, i know, the defender was actually still outside the paint (certainly not under the basket) when the contact occurred and had actually come from further outside, which means the L didn't even have coverage of that player at any time from his position across the paint.

Plus, the offensive player was not airborne, so the under-the-basket rule, if it had been in effect, would have not even mattered....its purpose is not relevant to a dribbler curling through the lane and not shooting.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 12:39pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The defender for VA Tech established LGP and slid to his right to maintain it and took the hit in the torso from the offensive player who was not airborne. PC all the way.
+1 -- putting away my plumber's kit now ...
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Between the lead and the point of contact were two other players who were uninvolved in the collision. He was triple stacked. I don't think he even had a look at the play....he was guessing (and got it wrong). But, it was a secondary defender so, the lead must have been right since it was his primary (or coming towards him).
Yes, i know, the defender was actually still outside the paint (certainly not under the basket) when the contact occurred and had actually come from further outside, which means the L didn't even have coverage of that player at any time from his position across the paint.

Plus, the offensive player was not airborne, so the under-the-basket rule, if it had been in effect, would have not even mattered....its purpose is not relevant to a dribble curling through the lane and not shooting.
+1 on all accounts.

And there is a fundamental issue of "calling what you see." There is NO WAY the L "saw" this play. He guessed and got it wrong.

I recently had a play very similar to this as the C and had a PC. The L had nothing b/c he didn't "have a good look." The coach was screaming..........

at his player, "where the hell were you going."
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Respectfully disagree...PC all the way
You're not one of those "He was moving" kind of guys, so what convinces you to call a block?
I've called plenty of PC fouls when the defensive player was moving. IMO Washington never established LGP on the offensive player and the collision occurred when Washington was moving laterally into A1 path.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assuming No Airborne Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The collision occurred when Washington was moving laterally into A1 path.
And there is something illegal about this?

We've been told that (assuming a non-calculus background) there are eight directions that the defender can move in a situation like this (again, assuming no airborne shooter): forward, backward, right, left, forward right, forward left, backward right, and backward left. Only three of these movements are illegal, and would result in a defensive blocking foul. The other five movements by the defensive player would result in a player control foul.

Now please don't make me take out my protractor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 06:37pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And there is something illegal about this?

We've been told that (assuming a non-calculus background) there are eight directions that the defender can move in a situation like this (again, assuming no airborne shooter): forward, backward, right, left, forward right, forward left, backward right, and backward left. Only three of these movements are illegal, and would result in a defensive blocking foul. The other five movements by the defensive player would result in a player control foul.

Now please don't make me take out my protractor.
Billy, please quote my entire post and then ask the question.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is "Half-Quoted" A Word ???

Quote:
Billy, please quote my entire post and then ask the question.
If you were commenting on the defensive player never originally having legal guarding position, then I'm sorry that I half-quoted you. Now I won't have to whip out my protractor. I left it back at the lab in my lab coat pocket protector anyway. I was just trying to scare you. Mention a protractor to most people and they run away. Thanks for not calling my bluff.,
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 07:59pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I've called plenty of PC fouls when the defensive player was moving. IMO Washington never established LGP on the offensive player and the collision occurred when Washington was moving laterally into A1 path.
I'm curious: which of the requirements of 4-23-2 haven't been met?
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really?

B5 (just to give him a normal label) was directly in the line of A1's established line of travel when A1 was jut stepping past the 3-point line. A1 came nearly straight down the outside of the right lane line directly at B5. As A1 veered slightly towards the lane, B5 shifted to stay in that line. This one is not even close. B5 was in LGP for several steps. In fact, he had about as much LGP is possible.

Even the body language of lead, after the player was called, tells you he thinks he got it wrong. He's tugging on his pants and waiving for his partners to get the ball in. He just want's to get the ball back in play to get everyone to forget about it.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 09:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really?

Even the body language of lead, after the player was called, tells you he thinks he got it wrong. He's tugging on his pants and waiving for his partners to get the ball in. He just want's to get the ball back in play to get everyone to forget about it.
I'm sure he's waving to get the ball back in play b/c they had a Blarge and he didn't want to linger on the situation. As far as pulling on his pants, well maybe that something he used to do all the time anyway.

As far as A1's path, we just don't see it the same. His angle was toward the basket as soon as he got past the primary defender. B5 would have been in his path had A1 been driving directly towards the endline.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 09:24pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure he's waving to get the ball back in play b/c they had a Blarge and he didn't want to linger on the situation. As far as pulling on his pants, well maybe that something he used to do all the time anyway.

As far as A1's path, we just don't see it the same. His angle was toward the basket as soon as he got past the primary defender. B5 would have been in his path had A1 been driving directly towards the endline.
To establish LGP you have to have two feet on the floor facing the player with the ball. The rule doesn't say you have to be 100 percent squared up with him at all times during the play. I don't see how this play could be a block.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
To establish LGP you have to have two feet on the floor facing the player with the ball. The rule doesn't say you have to be 100 percent squared up with him at all times during the play. I don't see how this play could be a block in NFHS or NCAA.
Fixed it for ya.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I got the game video and had another official review the call that is in question. I had another official review the game video. He agreed that the play in question originated from the C's PCA and the C had the best view of the play. There was no secondary defender. Blue 11 was the primary defender and was plowed over. The 'L' was on the opposite side of the key and had 6 players in front of him. His take on the play is that 'L' should not have had anything since he was out of position and 'C' had the best look.

The video of the game does vindicate me as the 'C' and calling the charge. The video official said that his question is why was 'L' looking over in 'C' PCA when he had 5-6 other players to watch in his own PCA. The 'L' was ball watching.