The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
jeffpea, what are your views on this play?

if the "outside" official, the C, simply let's the L make the call, you don't have a blarge. it is exponentially easier to referee a play that is coming towards you, rather than a play that is going away from you.

Because of several plays like this that happened in a short time frame at major D1 conferences, the mechanic was changed to simply having the L call these plays.

The C (who had the same angle as the announcers - Dave Pasch & Len Elmore) could not see the defender move to his right to try and take the charge. The defender didn't fully get there. Did you happen to notice where the contact occurred? (defender was standing on the lane line). This is L's call....

Therefore, I would have said block (but only if I was at the L). If at C, I would have said: " ".
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
if the "outside" official, the C, simply let's the L make the call, you don't have a blarge. it is exponentially easier to referee a play that is coming towards you, rather than a play that is going away from you.
Obviously not in this case since the Lead got it wrong. 99% of replies on here have agreed that this is a PC foul.

Quote:
Because of several plays like this that happened in a short time frame at major D1 conferences, the mechanic was changed to simply having the L call these plays.
This is simply not true, and I don't know where you get this from. I have watched numerous D1 games in person this year and have seen the C and Trail call block/charge plays where the dribbler starts a drive from their primary. Do they double up and sometimes let the Lead take it? Yes, but this play is the C's all the way.

Quote:
The C (who had the same angle as the announcers - Dave Pasch & Len Elmore) could not see the defender move to his right to try and take the charge. The defender didn't fully get there. Did you happen to notice where the contact occurred? (defender was standing on the lane line). This is L's call....
Holy balls. How long have you officiated for? The defender didn't fully get there? He doesn't have to! The offensive player is not airborne and the defender obtained LGP. Sure the defender may be standing on the lane line, but 1. This is the C's call because the drive started in his area, 2. The defender is across the lane from the Lead, and 3. (As jdw said) This play is in the C's primary. Who told you this stuff?

Quote:
Therefore, I would have said block (but only if I was at the L). If at C, I would have said: " ".
And as Lead you would have been wrong. And as C, if you were being evaluated around here, you would have received an *** chewing in addition to getting dinged on your evaluation.

Last edited by zm1283; Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 03:17pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the screenshot from the play. The Lead has two players between he and the players involved in the block/charge. How in the heck did he even see this? If you think it's a block from the C, I guess that is possible. But to say the Lead has a better look at this play and should always call it make absolutely no sense.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if the "outside" official, the C, simply let's the L make the call, you don't have a blarge.
This is pretty much the only statement I agree with. And it doesn't necessarily make it right. It's just true.

Quote:
it is exponentially easier to referee a play that is coming towards you, rather than a play that is going away from you.
If both officials have good angles on the relevant action and have seen the whole play, this may be true. In this case, for any number of reasons it absolutely is not.

Quote:
The C (who had the same angle as the announcers - Dave Pasch & Len Elmore) could not see the defender move to his right to try and take the charge.
Why would you say this? There's no reason C couldn't see the defender's movements the entire time. He certainly had a better view than the L who had to look through two other players and out of his primary to see the defender.

Quote:
Did you happen to notice where the contact occurred? (defender was standing on the lane line). This is L's call....
You do know that a player standing even fully in the half of the lane opposite the L, let alone on the lane line on that side, is not in the L's primary, and is in fact in the C's PCA, don't you?

I agree with most posters here that this is a clear PC foul - I'm willing to listen to an argument that LGP hadn't been established, but I think that's a tough one to make. Regardless, the L had no look at this play.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Here is the screenshot from the play. The Lead has two players between he and the players involved in the block/charge. How in the heck did he even see this? If you think it's a block from the C, I guess that is possible. But to say the Lead has a better look at this play and should always call it make absolutely no sense.

And that screen shot is actually just AFTER the contact occurred.

Additionally, the defender is knocked directly backwards relative to where the dribbler is...that is a pretty good indicator that he made it into the path.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 04:09pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 04:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

This is simply not true, and I don't know where you get this from. I have watched numerous D1 games in person this year and have seen the C and Trail call block/charge plays where the dribbler starts a drive from their primary. Do they double up and sometimes let the Lead take it? Yes, but this play is the C's all the way.
For NCAA-M a crash with a secondary defender in the paint is the Lead's primary no matter where the play originated. So you must have seen plays involving the primary defender or crashes outside the paint.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
For NCAA-M a crash with a secondary defender in the paint is the Lead's primary no matter where the play originated. So you must have seen plays involving the primary defender or crashes outside the paint.
That is assuming the secondary defender came from the Lead's primary and the lead was covering that secondary defender. In this case, the secondary defender came from the C's primary and was in the C's primary when contact began.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree if the secondary defender came from the Lead's primary, but like Cameron said, he didn't in this place.

As far as the ones I have seen....yes you are probably right. I still say that the C should get the first crack at the play in this thread.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 11:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... In this case, the secondary defender came from the C's primary and was in the C's primary when contact began.
I wasn't talking about this case. If you go back you will see where I said the play occurred entirely in the C's primary. I am referring to zm's comment on other plays he has seen in D1 ball games.

Quote:
...That is assuming the secondary defender came from the Lead's primary and the lead was covering that secondary defender...
I would hope the Lead would be cognizant of any potential secondary defender's in his primary when there is an impending drive to the basket, no matter where that secondary defender began his movements.