The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball + Technical

Team B's ball on the next alternating possession.

These are NFHS rules

We have a scrum on the floor call the jump ball and a partner and myself are right there with the players. As they are getting up a kid from team A wants to get up a little quicker than others and pushes and drops the f bomb on someone resulting in a technical foul.

What do we do with the arrow? We left pointing with team B and did not switch the arrow back to team A after the ball being legally touched on the inbounds because of the technical foul. It was kind of one of those things what makes more sense and we said why would we give team A the arrow and penalize team B on the next jump ball for Team A's technical.

Anyone have a rule reference for this?
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my books with me, but it sounds like you got it right. The arrow only switches after an AP throw in. The throw in you had was as a result of the technical; it was not an AP throw in, thus arrow does not move.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

6-4-4
The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends.

Because of the technical foul, you didn't administer an AP throw-in, so the arrow is not reversed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

The throw-in following the technical is not an alternating possesion throw-in so the arrow does not change. Rule 10-3 Penalty.

Had this twice last year, first time resulted in another T on the coach because he wouldnt shut up after having it explained twice.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Had a situation last night where during rebounding action, I called a foul on W11, had had gotten tangled up with B3. I called the foul from L and started to come out to report the foul. B3 then gave W11 a shove. Whack! Black's coach wanted to know why his team didn't get the ball back after White's free throws at the point of interruption.

I told him words to effect that's the next level coach. Don't think he still believes me.

Last edited by centkyref; Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 12:59pm.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
Had a situation last night where during rebounding action, I called a foul on W11, had had gotten tangled up with B3. I called the foul from L and started to come out to report the foul. B3 then gave B11 a shove. Whack! Black's coach wanted to know why his team didn't get the ball back after White's free throws at the point of interruption.

I told him words to effect that's the next level coach. Don't think he still believes me.
I'd say that would be a safe bet...speaking of bets the second time I had that last year, the coach that complained about not getting the arrow owes my dad a steak dinner but I doubt that will happen.(Offhand bet he made while they were explaining the rule to him).
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ummm....NY strip medium rare, baked potato, tossed salad...STOP!!! Now I'm hungry.
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
Had a situation last night where during rebounding action, I called a foul on W11, had had gotten tangled up with B3. I called the foul from L and started to come out to report the foul. B3 then gave B11 a shove. Whack! Black's coach wanted to know why his team didn't get the ball back after White's free throws at the point of interruption.
Friendly horseplay between teammates?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 11, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Friendly horseplay between teammates?
Good catch. Fixed it.