Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
As a new official, this kinda cheers me up. I need a ton of work on learning how to watch multiple things at once and how to discern what should be called and what shouldn't, but I'm not THAT bad.
+ 1 ! I wasn't sure for a while ,but now relieved to know i'm not the worst either .
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Perhaps you could. The very few solo games I've worked have not been very good experiences. Honestly, working solo is a skill that I do not want to get good at.
With 3 games under my belt, I had to call a mens rec league game by myself last Friday. They were all middle age, Ex William and Mary alumni . They did a lot of hollering who's ball it should be etc, and I let some mild cursing slide ( not at me ) but it wasn't a total disaster , just a partial !
Our assignor certainly makes allowances for what he calls "greenhorns" but absolutely wont tolerate unprofessional conduct or dress. We've had good training and mentoring I believe . My girls JV partner tonight just assigned himself to be my mentor effective immediately ! It also helped that he knew some of the fans that were giving me the business!
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

My first game last year I had the fans all up in a frenzy. But I had a partner that was patient (most guys in our association are good guys and would've been the same). He would talk with me during time-outs, dead balls, between quarters. I know he saw the slight panic from time to time. I also was lucky that the school's AD was an official. So the coaches knew I was "a little wet behind the ears". Once the coaches (never the fans....fans don't ever let up, rookie or 20-30 yrs. vet.) saw that I was being receptive to my partner, talking/discussing and taking small direction from the AD when he could slip in it there, they backed off.
All I would ask(ed) {on the DL..herniated disc } of someone calling with me is to realize I'm trying my hardest, talk with me...not to me, and be receptive of something I might need to ask/clarify.
Now the appearance is just not ok, even in my book. I knew I would need to put out money, and thats what I did. If you look good doing it, you won't stick out as much (hopefully).
Old Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Interesting thread--very good points by everyone here. I am a 5th year official with a lot of experience in Middle School games.

This week I was assigned a Boys MS game with a partner who is an excellent Boys HS Varsity player (may be going to the next level). Because he had practice prior to the game, he arrived several minutes before tip-off. I was unaware, until his arrival, that it was his first game----had limited pre-game with him. His appearance was OK, but had the signs of 1st time---weak whistle, zero mechanics, etc. Fortunately, the game was a blow-out.

I will be working a Boys MS game with him again this week---may have limited pre-game because of his practice schedule. However, this game will be very competitive between rival Private Schools. Fortunately, I have worked many games with these schools & have "respect" of the coaches---probably why the assigner matched us up.

"Back In The Saddle", you provided many useful points---Thanks for your input.