The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 01:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Awful, awful basketball

- More travels than I've seen in entire seasons.

- Six players jumping up on every rebound.

- Once the rebound is secured, 2 defenders doing everything possible to get the ball from the rebounder. This usually involved us calling fouls.

-Coach yelling at me that I missed 2 line calls on the other side of the court in the corner. Any kind of response would've been like acknowledging his presence. Surreal. His players traveled four consecutive trips down the floor and he thinks I missed a tip in the far corner, in a spot he has no hope of seeing. He yells at me. I'd acknowledge him or whack him, but that would require me to act like he existed.

-Later he's screaming across the court (working 2-person) that I called a foul on the wrong person. #3 swings at a shot and clips the arm of the shooter. Another player actually has good verticality (pretty easy, I guess, when you don't jump) and the coach wanted the foul on that player cause the "swiper" already had 3.

-Bonus by the end of the third quarter. Both teams. Both teams double bonus by early fourth quarter. At least 90% of the fouls were avoidable if the teams didn't think grabbing players and knocking them over was sound defensive strategy.

-Other coach telling me that he can't believe that we missed so many "over the back" fouls. Coach, they are tall and jumping. Your players are shorter and not leaving their feet.

The final was something like 48-30. Losing team 1-6. I'm amazed they've won the 1.

This makes three terrible games in a row. I should've stayed home and watched Boston Legal. Denny Crane.

Please, oh please let me have a better one Thursday.

I didn't mention the gender or level on purpose. It was a varsity game, BTW.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 01:38am.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Games like that are TOUGH. I HATE hearing cries for the infamous "over the back" call. I had a guy just out jump a shorter player while tipping the ball backwards...never touched the guy and the coach asks how that could NOT be over the back. I wanted to tell him that he sure was over his back...and that's legal if you don't push the other player!
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 02:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
- More travels than I've seen in entire seasons.

- Six players jumping up on every rebound.
Were you at my game tonight? If so, you left out somebody jumping to try and block every shot. Called 27 fouls in the second half, 14 on one team, 13 on the other. After his fourth or fifth guy fouled out in the last minute, visitor's coach said, "I'd just as soon finish with two out there, if we could just get this over." I informed him that if a sub was available, I needed him on the floor. I'm not sure if this guy was even that upset about calls, or just pondering the fact that he opened the game up 11-2, then went on to lose by 25.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Conference commissioner was at my game. Said we did a good job. He missed the second half, which was (quite honestly) brutally played. They always know just when to leave.

He worked the JV game where the players pretty much stood around for 32 minutes. First time where I can honestly look back and say the JV game was far better to watch and work than the V game.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should've stayed home and watched Boston Legal. Denny Crane.
I have it on my DVR if you need me to send you a copy.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Games like that are TOUGH. I HATE hearing cries for the infamous "over the back" call. I had a guy just out jump a shorter player while tipping the ball backwards...never touched the guy and the coach asks how that could NOT be over the back. I wanted to tell him that he sure was over his back...and that's legal if you don't push the other player!
Great response....Over the back is not a foul, ON the back IS...
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 05:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I have it on my DVR if you need me to send you a copy.
Thanks for reminding me. I have it on mine, too. Shatner in HD. Ooooh.

"Denny Crane, my poop doesn't smell. It comes out in pretty colors. Denny Crane."

I've worked with a guy reminds me of that character. He'd confuse the coaches and then get away from them before they knew what happened.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 05:35pm.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
- Coach yelling at me that I missed 2 line calls on the other side of the court in the corner.

Later he's screaming across the court (working 2-person) that I called a foul on the wrong person.
10-4-1a
10-4-1b
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
10-4-1a
10-4-1b
Nah. I got him back on the bench pretty quickly without tossing a grenade across the court.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Nah. I got him back on the bench pretty quickly without tossing a grenade across the court.
heh

I have been known to simply tell a coach to calm the **** down instead of giving a T. But I prefer to think of T's as sniper shots, not grenades.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
heh

I have been known to simply tell a coach to calm the **** down instead of giving a T. But I prefer to think of T's as sniper shots, not grenades.
The worst example I ever made (of myself) was during a high school baseball playoff game where an assistant coach was yelling at me from the third base dugout. I was the base umpire.

I yelled out, "Hey, knock it off with the long distance stuff." Talk about "Pot. Kettle. Black." Of course he got ejected the next half-inning arguing a pickoff move where he wanted a balk and I didn't oblige.