The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Awful ref in USA-Slovenia game

OK, I admit to being fanboy in this sport, and not an official... and I also know not to listen to announcers.

But it sure did seem the Soccer referee had it in for the Americans in this match - topped off by the phantom unexplained call nullifying the winning goal. What a drag that such a good game was marred by his presence.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
OK, I admit to being fanboy in this sport, and not an official... and I also know not to listen to announcers.

But it sure did seem the Soccer referee had it in for the Americans in this match - topped off by the phantom unexplained call nullifying the winning goal. What a drag that such a good game was marred by his presence.
I don't think he had it in for anyone. I just think he was in over his head, like some of the replacement umpires in the MiLB strike. Just using what I know as an umpire he looked like he was too close to the action to see all of it and thus missed a couple fouls on Slovenia during that free kick.

Also, a caution for being hit in the face with the ball is a new rule to me.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2010, 11:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

I just saw on the ESPN ticker that a FIFA source told Yahoo! Sports that this referee was unlikely to be assigned any further matches in the tournament.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

So if FIFA thinks so strongly about this, why not reverse the call and give them the goal. Every other sport is using instant replay and reversing calls...
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Also, a caution for being hit in the face with the ball is a new rule to me.
This is the one that nobody is talking about because of the phantom foul at the end of the game. Findley has to sit now against Algeria for his second yellow card of the tournament. I know they can't go back and award the goal, but certainly they can administratively rescind a yellow card that was obviously not a foul.

Of course, the US may not care. Findley hasn't been playing very well anyways.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 07:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It's not just in the US game......seems to be FIFA is having big problems all over.

In the Germany/Serbia game the other day, every foul was a CARD - the number of yellow and/or red cards was amazing. It was bizarre.