The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

in-game signals between officials

Thanks Bisonpitcher for the idea.

What hand signals (other than the standard clock start/clock stop) should officials use to communicate with one another?

Concerning last minute of the period/game, is there some signal the timer can use to communicate to the floor officials "last minute"?
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics ...

Official taps his, or her, chest to indicate, "I've got the last second shot".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 14, 2010 at 05:47pm.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Sure It's In The Manual ...

Nonadministering official to partner: Open hand up in the air means, "Don't put the ball into play yet. I'm not sure that we have ten players on the court".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nonadministering official to partner: Open hand up in the air means, "Don't put the ball into play yet. I'm not sure that we have ten players on the court".
BillyMac, I'm meaning non-standard signals that are not listed in the appendix of the rules book, for clarification.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Six Or Seven ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
When I worked games after the sixth foul I like to signal that we're in the bonus.
I don't like to wait until after the sixth foul. I want to know, or I want my partner to know, that we're at six and that we'll be shooting on the next foul. This way either of us, as the noncalling official, will be more likely to identify the shooter and get everyone lined up to shoot free throws.

Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 07:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

One I use is to move my pointer finger extended slowly across my throat. This indicates to my partner not to put the ball in play because I'm about to toss a coach.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning last minute of the period/game, is there some signal the timer can use to communicate to the floor officials "last minute"?
During play, we'll look at the clock, not you. All we need you to do is pay attention and operate the clock.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Run the Endline

My partner today gave a little hand movement, subtle back and forth, so that we were in synch on ability to run the endline after a timeout granted after a made hoop.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I don't like to wait until after the sixth foul. I want to know, or I want my partner to know, that we're at six and that we'll be shooting on the next foul.
So you want you or your partner to know that you are at six fouls before the sixth foul. Most people would just call that five fouls.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
During play, we'll look at the clock, not you. All we need you to do is pay attention and operate the clock.
So during the game you completely ignore the scorers' table? How's that going for you?

So you disregard 2-1-2?
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So during the game you completely ignore the scorers' table? How's that going for you
Yeah because that is exactly what he said...

Quote:
So you disregard 2-1-2?
I guess you ignore 2-1-12. I don't see anything in the timer's duties which says he is to notify the officials when there is 1 minute left.

It wouldn't surprise me if you said that sometimes you disable the scoreboard horn just so that you can run on the court and notify the referee that the period has ended.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Cobra, what I am meaning is that (at least around here) it's the signal from the timer that gets the floor officials attention if there is an error/discrepancy.

I have never tampered with the Auto Horn button, unless I noticed it is off (which has never happened).

What happens if the visual scoreboard malfunctions & in order to keep time a stopwatch has to be used?

It's the scorers' table that usually alerts the coaches & floor officials of a player's 5th foul & periodically 7/10 team fouls.

Depending on the gym design, it's the scorers' table that alerts the floor officials of shot clock violations (for those that have shot clock).

During varsity games, the PA Announcer usually announces 1 minute remaining in the period/game.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cobra, what I am meaning is that (at least around here) it's the signal from the timer that gets the floor officials attention if there is an error/discrepancy.
A discrepancy in the score/timeouts/fouls and such? In the list of scorer's duties it says he is to notify the referee of a discrepancy.

Quote:
What happens if the visual scoreboard malfunctions & in order to keep time a stopwatch has to be used?
Nothing, the timer does it. In the timer's duties it says he shall have a clock to time the game.

Quote:
It's the scorers' table that usually alerts the coaches & floor officials of a player's 5th foul & periodically 7/10 team fouls.
Once again scorer's duties and scorer's duties.

What is your point with all of this stuff which the rule book says the timer and scorer shall do? It has nothing to do with the timer notifying the officials that there is 1 minute left.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Depending on the gym design, it's the scorers' table that alerts the floor officials of shot clock violations (for those that have shot clock).

During varsity games, the PA Announcer usually announces 1 minute remaining in the period/game.
My point being in "Instructions To and Duties of Scorers and Timers for Basketball Games" under Scorer's Equipment it states:
"Scorebook, pencils, possession arrow and signaling device with sound different from that of the timer. The scorebook must be available for inspection at the table from 10 minutes prior to game time until the referee has approved the final score."

How can the scorer have a different signaling device when none is EVER available?

Concerning having to use stopwatches in lieu of working scoreboards, I've had to do it before 2 years ago during 4A Regionals. In that case we had to have some form of communication to let the floor officials know about shot clock violations & game time left using both hand & audio signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Nothing, the timer does it. In the timer's duties it says he shall have a clock to time the game.

Once again scorer's duties and scorer's duties.

What is your point with all of this stuff which the rule book says the timer and scorer shall do? It has nothing to do with the timer notifying the officials that there is 1 minute left.
I was just asking a question in case the floor officials wanted the table to notify them of 1 minute remaining.

Some floor officials welcome any help the scorers' table gives them, others don't (you seem to be of the latter).

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Nov 14, 2010 at 10:14pm.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So during the game you completely ignore the scorers' table? How's that going for you?
You asked, "Concerning last minute of the period/game, is there some signal the timer can use to communicate to the floor officials "last minute"?"

I don't need you or any other timer to signal to me that there's less than 1 minute on the clock.

Quote:
So you disregard 2-1-2?
The scorer and the timer assist me in the following ways. I expect both to pay attention to officials. I expect the scorer to communicate foul situations to me and nofity me when there's a discrepancy. I expect the timer to start/stop the clock appropriately, keep the correct score on the scoreboard, and sound the horn at the appropriate times.

I do not need you interjecting yourself into the game beyond those responsibilities.

Quote:
what I am meaning is that (at least around here) it's the signal from the timer that gets the floor officials attention if there is an error/discrepancy.
We weren't discussing errors or disrepancies, were we? You asked what signal the timer should use to notify the officials when there's one minute left.

Quote:
I believe I'll probably notice if the scoreboard stops working. We'll handle that if needed.

Quote:
No, it's the scorer that notifies us concerning foul situations and the timer hits the horn after a DQ. No signal from you is needed.

Quote:
No, the shot clock buzzer sounds when that happens. We don't use a shot clock here.

Quote:
Not mandated by the rules, nor does every game have a PA announcer, nor does it have anything to do with your responsibilities.

You need to focus on the things the rule book requires you to do and stop worrying about these other things. Otherwise, you become a nightmare for the officials working the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith