View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So during the game you completely ignore the scorers' table? How's that going for you?
You asked, "Concerning last minute of the period/game, is there some signal the timer can use to communicate to the floor officials "last minute"?"

I don't need you or any other timer to signal to me that there's less than 1 minute on the clock.

Quote:
So you disregard 2-1-2?
The scorer and the timer assist me in the following ways. I expect both to pay attention to officials. I expect the scorer to communicate foul situations to me and nofity me when there's a discrepancy. I expect the timer to start/stop the clock appropriately, keep the correct score on the scoreboard, and sound the horn at the appropriate times.

I do not need you interjecting yourself into the game beyond those responsibilities.

Quote:
what I am meaning is that (at least around here) it's the signal from the timer that gets the floor officials attention if there is an error/discrepancy.
We weren't discussing errors or disrepancies, were we? You asked what signal the timer should use to notify the officials when there's one minute left.

Quote:
What happens if the visual scoreboard malfunctions & in order to keep time a stopwatch has to be used?
I believe I'll probably notice if the scoreboard stops working. We'll handle that if needed.

Quote:
It's the scorers' table that usually alerts the coaches & floor officials of a player's 5th foul & periodically 7/10 team fouls.
No, it's the scorer that notifies us concerning foul situations and the timer hits the horn after a DQ. No signal from you is needed.

Quote:
Depending on the gym design, it's the scorers' table that alerts the floor officials of shot clock violations (for those that have shot clock).
No, the shot clock buzzer sounds when that happens. We don't use a shot clock here.

Quote:
During varsity games, the PA Announcer usually announces 1 minute remaining in the period/game.
Not mandated by the rules, nor does every game have a PA announcer, nor does it have anything to do with your responsibilities.

You need to focus on the things the rule book requires you to do and stop worrying about these other things. Otherwise, you become a nightmare for the officials working the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith