View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Cobra, what I am meaning is that (at least around here) it's the signal from the timer that gets the floor officials attention if there is an error/discrepancy.

What happens if the visual scoreboard malfunctions & in order to keep time a stopwatch has to be used?

It's the scorers' table that usually alerts the coaches & floor officials of a player's 5th foul & periodically 7/10 team fouls.

Depending on the gym design, it's the scorers' table that alerts the floor officials of shot clock violations (for those that have shot clock).

During varsity games, the PA Announcer usually announces 1 minute remaining in the period/game.
My point being in "Instructions To and Duties of Scorers and Timers for Basketball Games" under Scorer's Equipment it states:
"Scorebook, pencils, possession arrow and signaling device with sound different from that of the timer. The scorebook must be available for inspection at the table from 10 minutes prior to game time until the referee has approved the final score."

How can the scorer have a different signaling device when none is EVER available?

Concerning having to use stopwatches in lieu of working scoreboards, I've had to do it before 2 years ago during 4A Regionals. In that case we had to have some form of communication to let the floor officials know about shot clock violations & game time left using both hand & audio signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Nothing, the timer does it. In the timer's duties it says he shall have a clock to time the game.

Once again scorer's duties and scorer's duties.

What is your point with all of this stuff which the rule book says the timer and scorer shall do? It has nothing to do with the timer notifying the officials that there is 1 minute left.
I was just asking a question in case the floor officials wanted the table to notify them of 1 minute remaining.

Some floor officials welcome any help the scorers' table gives them, others don't (you seem to be of the latter).

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Nov 14, 2010 at 10:14pm.