The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

My Dog Ate It

This year, in both Football and Basketball, Washington State has begun using a 50 question test that is more situational than definitional. In order to properly answer the situational questions you must understand the definitions and then properly apply the rules; a better test in my opinion.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Is that something you could e'mail to people not from Washington? Sounds like a great tool for practice with situations and rules.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

We typically get a paper copy from the Association - I'll check with them and if okay then I could scan that in and email it to you if you send me your email address, debit card and pin (Mark P. would want me to ask) via pm. Our first meeting is on Nov. 3
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Some have open-book tests on a certain date but also only allow a certain amount of time to complete it. Having the test early obviously is a great advantage there also.

As I said, they're only cheating themselves.

Signed: Pissy Ol' JR
I must have missed something in your argument. How in the heck is it an advantage to take an open book test and get that test early? We used to take this test and I never saw an advantage by having the test early. It was not a secret?

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I must have missed something in your argument. How in the heck is it an advantage to take an open book test and get that test early?
The advantage, obviously, would be that one could look up the answers in advance before taking the actual test.

Having said that, I find it disturbing to think that any official with the most basic rules knowledge would think it necessary to look for an extra advantage to pass an open book test.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 01:21am.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The advantage, obviously, would be that one could look up the answers in advance before taking the actual test.
No, it is not obvious. Getting the test in "advance" did not do anything for us. And when you say getting the test in advance, I am not sure what the heck we would be getting the test in advance of? We basically had two months to take the exam and that time was based on when you got the mail.

Quote:

Having said that, I find it disturbing to think that any official with the most basic rules knowledge would think it necessary to look for an extra advantage to pass an open book test.
I just took a University exam that was open book. The class was a graduate course and me and two others took the exam together. We had to answer 4 questions based on our readings. The teacher told us we could take the exam together if we liked.

I will never understand why people believe the NF test is a testing of rules knowledge. Sorry, but I know what a basketball looks like and I do not need to know the exact circumference of the basketball as I have never measured it personally before a game. If our basketball test is the same as our football one was, then that is a much better test of rules knowledge. Multiple choice (or guess ) and not only must we know what to call, but we must know what we are going to do after the call. I have seen people not even know how to apply a Team Control Foul or a Double Foul because all the so-called test does is test them know what the wording is, but they have no idea how to apply it to the game when called.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 01:41am.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
No, it is not obvious. Getting the test in "advance" did not do anything for us. And when you say getting the test in advance, I am not sure what the heck we would be getting the test in advance of? We basically had two months to take the exam and that time was based on when you got the mail.

Peace
In this case, I agree, not an advantage. A more conventional format, perhaps, would be like the one in our state. You log in, click start, and you have one hour to answer the 60 questions on the test. A person who felt the need to verify almost every question in the books could obviously benefit tremendously from having the questions in advance of the start of this one hour allotted time period.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In this case, I agree, not an advantage. A more conventional format, perhaps, would be like the one in our state. You log in, click start, and you have one hour to answer the 60 questions on the test. A person who felt the need to verify almost every question in the books could obviously benefit tremendously from having the questions in advance of the start of this one hour allotted time period.
I do not know if that is more conventional. From what I understand the majority of the country took the test in a similar fashion as we used to. We took the paper copy and took the test and submitted our answers over a period of time. The NF test is 100 questions, not 60 and we had to answer them all. Now if your state decided to come up with another method that is fine. But I do not believe that was similar to others across the country. And many states that did not take the NF test, created their own. My point is not everyone asking for a copy (like I would) has a nefarious reason to want a copy. I want a copy just to see what they are asking. Our state created their own and is not in a T/F format. So that test will do me no good except to learn what is being asked by the NF.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 06:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
A more conventional format, perhaps, would be like the one in our state. You log in, click start, and you have one hour to answer the 60 questions on the test. A person who felt the need to verify almost every question in the books could obviously benefit tremendously from having the questions in advance of the start of this one hour allotted time period.
And that's exactly why I made my previous statements. All states are NOT the same. What may not be an advantage in one state may be a huge advantage in another state. And the test results may be fairly meaningless in one state, while they might have playoff assignment implications in another.

That's why posting a full standard NFHS exam early on this forum that can be copied by anyone in any state might not be an advantage in any way for one area but might be a perfect opportunity for cheating in another area. And since there's no real advantage gained by discussing the odd individual exam question early here anyway, what real need is there for a complete test to be posted. And posting a full copy of the answers is similarly ridiculous, but even more-so.

And as I've said repeatedly, if you can't answer average rules questions without the aid of the rule book, you shouldn't be out on the court in a good game anyway imo. You don't have time out there to go find a book and look up what you're supposed to call. You're only cheating yourself if you depend on looking up answers.

JMO.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 06:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
My point is not everyone asking for a copy (like I would) has a nefarious reason to want a copy.
I agree that not everyone asking for a copy has a nefarious reason. But I'm also sure that SOME of the people coming here for exam copies sureashell do have a nefarious reason. And if you post the exam, they WILL cheat and benefit from it.

I know of a few areas that have a closed-book, proctored and timed exam. Imagine the advantage that some of the people in those areas will have if they can get their cheating mitts on an early copy.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I must have missed something in your argument. How in the heck is it an advantage to take an open book test and get that test early? We used to take this test and I never saw an advantage by having the test early. It was not a secret?

Peace
You did miss it; he specifically stated it would be an advantage for those who have a limited time to take the test.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I agree that not everyone asking for a copy has a nefarious reason. But I'm also sure that SOME of the people coming here for exam copies sureashell do have a nefarious reason. And if you post the exam, they WILL cheat and benefit from it.

I know of a few areas that have a closed-book, proctored and timed exam. Imagine the advantage that some of the people in those areas will have if they can get their cheating mitts on an early copy.
As far as getting an advantage from cheating, how can this help you in a game? If you dont know the rules, cheat on the exam and then get in a game and misapply a rule, then shame on that person. Just my 2 cents.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefu2 View Post
as far as getting an advantage from cheating, how can this help you in a game? If you dont know the rules, cheat on the exam and then get in a game and misapply a rule, then shame on that person. Just my 2 cents.
+1
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
As far as getting an advantage from cheating, how can this help you in a game? If you dont know the rules, cheat on the exam and then get in a game and misapply a rule, then shame on that person. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
+1
Because some assignors look at test scores to help rank their officials.

And if you don't know the rule and then misapply a rule, you've just brought your entire crew down.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 09:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Agree, and that's exactly why I've been iterating and iterating that people that cheat on those tests are only cheating themselves. Or maybe cheating their partners or their association.

However, in some areas the test score is also used to assign classifications and/or help determine eligibity for state playoffs. Getting a higher test score could possible get you into a better classification or into the playoffs. Whether your actions will keep you there is a whole 'nother matter.

In my opinion, the idea of having these exams should be for us to improve ourselves as officials. The results should point out areas of the rules that we might be weak in, areas we can work on to get better. And I'm not talking about the crappy questions about logos or ball circumferences either. I'm talking about the nuts and bolts questions about situations we could actually run into.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 09:22am.