The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Ahh....thats where floor evaluation come in as well. Trust me, if you dont know the rules it will show in one way or the other. Simply cheating on the test will catch up with whomever!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Because some assignors look at test scores to help rank their officials.

And if you don't know the rule and then misapply a rule, you've just brought your entire crew down.
I agree with that as well.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And if you don't know the rule and then misapply a rule, you've just brought your entire crew down.
Yessirrrr!! My +1 was regarding, "then shame on that person."

At the same time, passing a written test HARDLY means you can officiate!
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You did miss it; he specifically stated it would be an advantage for those who have a limited time to take the test.
My question was really rhetorical. I realize that some people have a timed test. But that is not everyone and certainly not the majority of people around the country. So to jump off the deep end because someone asked what would benefit them to study the exam, I think just goes too far. And if I ask for the test and the answers anyone that is in Illinois can confirm we take no such test anymore.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have yet to work any level and someone to ask what my test score is in any sport.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:07am
We don't rent pigs

I don't know how many would cheat to get it, but around here the main reason for wanting a higher test score is simple. $$$ Above 90%, certified, is one pay level. Above 80%, approved, is a few dollars per game less. Above 70%, registered, is a few dollars less than that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I dunno. You work volleyball?
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
True - but flunking a written test means you probably can't officiate. Of course, then you could be a coach.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't know how many would cheat to get it, but around here the main reason for wanting a higher test score is simple. $$$ Above 90%, certified, is one pay level. Above 80%, approved, is a few dollars per game less. Above 70%, registered, is a few dollars less than that.
Sounds like this is a bigger problem than if someone gets a score. Going to camps means much more in my state. And it is understood that an open book test is going to have people working together.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have yet to work any level and someone to ask what my test score is in any sport.

Peace
It's not asked for, it's supplied automatically every Monday by the state to every association's commissioner.

You're system is not the same as our system. And, in fact, our by-laws do make some references to test scores. Our test is on-line and open book with at a 4 week period to finish it, so having the questions early is really a moot point around here. But it shows that it can come into play depending on what system you're involved in.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's not asked for, it's supplied automatically every Monday by the state to every association's commissioner.

You're system is not the same as our system. And, in fact, our by-laws do make some references to test scores. Our test is on-line and open book with at a 4 week period to finish it, so having the questions early is really a moot point around here. But it shows that it can come into play depending on what system you're involved in.
I understand we have a different system. But you cannot expect that I am going to care what you do when it does not affect me. Just like I cannot care if one teacher in school gives tests one way and the teacher teaching the same subject next door has a different standard. This is why people in college will take one teacher over another because of their standards they might use.

People are asking for the test in many cases (not all of course) are asking legitimately for what will help them without cheating. But we have people that jump off the deep end because they simply asked and are unaware of what others do across the country. And if I did not know that before, I really know that as the NF test does nothing for me other than to use as a study tool. And even that will be limited. Almost all my state's test questions are not going to be asked in that format. I will have to know more about the rules and knowing what the specific length of a channel on a basketball is.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I understand we have a different system. But you cannot expect that I am going to care what you do when it does not affect me. Just like I cannot care if one teacher in school gives tests one way and the teacher teaching the same subject next door has a different standard. This is why people in college will take one teacher over another because of their standards they might use.

People are asking for the test in many cases (not all of course) are asking legitimately for what will help them without cheating. But we have people that jump off the deep end because they simply asked and are unaware of what others do across the country. And if I did not know that before, I really know that as the NF test does nothing for me other than to use as a study tool. And even that will be limited. Almost all my state's test questions are not going to be asked in that format. I will have to know more about the rules and knowing what the specific length of a channel on a basketball is.

Peace

I didn't ask if you cared or if anyone else did. You made a statement about people never asking for your test score. To me that's irrelevant.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, wear the shoes you already have and let someone else try on the shoe.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 02:34pm.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
People are asking for the test in many cases (not all of course) are asking legitimately for what will help them without cheating. But we have people that jump off the deep end because they simply asked and are unaware of what others do across the country.
I'm well aware of what others do across the country. And I'm also well aware of the fact that some people(not all, of course) will cheat to gain an advantage if the exam or answers are posted here before they are slated to write it.

Maybe you need to get your blinkers off and look outside the borders of Illinois, Jeff. Just because something isn't a problem in your area doesn't mean that it couldn't be a huge problem in another area. Just Another Ref gave you a prime example where an early copy of the test could be invaluable to someone who doesn't know the rules that well and also doesn't want to put in the time to learn them. His area isn't the only area.

How about we do this? If anyone comes here asking for an early copy of the exam or answers to be posted, I'll tell 'em to screw off and you PM them and send them a copy. That should keep both of us happy.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 04:02pm.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 07:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That should keep both of us happy.
We've never actually seen you happy.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Again, let me apologize for my lack of awareness of how things are done in other states. I am sorry. Now I know.

FWIW, I was on a 48 hour shift and wanted to work on the test that I had left at home. I did finally get to work on the test this week. I choose not to participate in the "group meetings" where one could be a fly on the wall. I worked through the test myself as a way to study the rules. I looked up every questions then cross references the case book. I learn something new every year by doing this. It took me 8 hours. If anyone has the open format like we do, I would encourage them to work through the test and look up EVERYTHING, even if you think you know it. It's a great way to refresh on the rules for the upcoming season.