The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post

Know who's who in your neck of the woods! Pissing off the wrong person could land you in F/JV circuit for good.

Unfortunately, that's a very accurate statement in my experience. It's a real world out there. You have to know your local dynamics. And unfortunately you also have to adjust to those local dynamics.

It's up to the local officials collectively to change those dynamics. One person ain't gonna do it. And if you're that one person, you might end up doing games down at Podunk MS for years.

Note that I'm just as much against crappy local local politics as any of you. I just don't believe in them. But in your own area, you might not have a choice. As I said, there's a real world out there.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic, you make some valid points, but how did we let it get to where it is today?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Jurassic, you make some valid points, but how did we let it get to where it is today?
Human nature. It really is that simple.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We have to make sure we pregrame this and if you are the R on the game make sure you make your crew confortable with coming in and giving information.
This wasn't a "coming in and giving information" play. It was a play where the Lead was apparently straight-lined and the C and L passed on a foul Then they come in at halftime criticizing the Lead's OOB call.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Then it would have only taken 5 seconds if they would have called the obvious foul that both of them had.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This wasn't a "coming in and giving information" play. It was a play where the Lead was apparently straight-lined and the C and L passed on a foul Then they come in at halftime criticizing the Lead's OOB call.
He wasn't straight-lined because the lead shouldn't be getting rebound fouls of this nature...the center and trail have good lucks...blow your whistle.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
He wasn't straight-lined because the lead shouldn't be getting rebound fouls of this nature...the center and trail have good lucks...blow your whistle.
The Lead shouldn't get a shove in the back that's right in front of him? I get 'em all the time.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Completely agree.

A push from behind on rebounding action is almost always more easily seen from the C and T. One of them should have called the foul. Since they didn't, forget it. Happens more often than it should.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

As a general rule (not hard and fast) most rebounds fouls should come from the two outside officials. The lead will get some obvious shoves right in front of them.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Completely agree.

A push from behind on rebounding action is almost always more easily seen from the C and T. One of them should have called the foul. Since they didn't, forget it. Happens more often than it should.
If there was a push on the play by player B, and the ball goes OOB, the resulting OOB violation on player B is perfectly acceptable in most game mgmt situations I've seen.

If the ball doesn't go OOB and team B recovers the rebound, then the C and/or T probably shouldn't pass on that call using a patient whistle.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I think part of the problem was the fact that I was too close to the play (mid-point on end line as L) and didn't back up far enough to the wide position when I saw the two trees moving towards me to jump for the rebound, and I was too focused on looking at their hands up to to see who was going to touch it last...
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Completely agree.

Quote:
As a general rule (not hard and fast) most rebounds fouls should come from the two outside officials. The lead will get some obvious shoves right in front of them.
I would say your classic "over-the-back" calls should come from the outside. But shoves in the back usually occur when one or both players are still on the ground. The Lead should be working for the angle to see between the 2 players.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would say your classic "over-the-back" calls should come from the outside. But shoves in the back usually occur when one or both players are still on the ground. The Lead should be working for the angle to see between the 2 players.
I would totally agree with you on this.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
If there was a push on the play by player B, and the ball goes OOB, the resulting OOB violation on player B is perfectly acceptable in most game mgmt situations I've seen.

If the ball doesn't go OOB and team B recovers the rebound, then the C and/or T probably shouldn't pass on that call using a patient whistle.
You have to be careful, if there is a foul on team B and then the Lead gives the ball to team B you are going to come in with a very late whistle and get the foul?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have to be careful, if there is a foul on team B and then the Lead gives the ball to team B you are going to come in with a very late whistle and get the foul?
Who said anything about a "late" whistle?

Point taken. But, seriously, just pausing for that extra half sec or so can make a big difference in how that situation plays out.