The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I may have been too close to the play, but as they were fighting for the rebound in that quick tip second, i was looking up top to see who tipped it last. This is where my partner said B1 was 'over the back' of A1, causing A1 to touch it last. Said he was hoping i'd give the ball back to A1, to 'save B1 a foul'.
Your partner needs to put air in his whistle if the foul is that obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Exactly. I'm tracking with you, vbz. Which is the reason I'm not telling everyone in pre-game that I might "miss" some contact.

No way do I say it that way. Rather, I say something similar to this, "my partners and I will be working as a team to catch as much illegal contact as possible.".
Just based on that, I say your coaches meetings are to lengthy.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rather, I say something similar to this, "my partners and I will be working as a team to catch as much illegal contact as possible.".
Do you also tell them that you will be crediting a team with 2 points per basket unless the shot is made with 2 feet behind the 3 point line, in which case you will award 3 points?

My point ... don't say stuff like this. Of course you're out there to enforce the rules... they know this. Say the CYA stuff, and anything the assignor wants reinforced for whatever reason.

One of my pet peeves is an umpire in baseball/softball (strangely I almost never come across this in football, basketball, or volleyball) who uses the plate conference to either teach a rule or explain that we will be calling by the rules, or (with, perhaps, the exception of the 1st week of a season) "the infield fly rule is in effect" or "Dropped 3rd strike is in effect." Again ... Say the CYA, check the lineups, point out potential field problems or odd ground rules if any ... and go.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 04:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
One of my pet peeves is an umpire in baseball/softball (strangely I almost never come across this in football, basketball, or volleyball) who uses the plate conference to either teach a rule or explain that we will be calling by the rules, or (with, perhaps, the exception of the 1st week of a season) "the infield fly rule is in effect" or "Dropped 3rd strike is in effect." Again ... Say the CYA, check the lineups, point out potential field problems or odd ground rules if any ... and go.
I've seen it in basketball; correctable error rule. Same guy also gives the "black line all the way around" speech to the players. But, he was a great partner once the ball went up.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 05:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Make Up Calls ???

Quote:
If there was a push on the play by player B, and the ball goes OOB, the resulting OOB violation on player B is perfectly acceptable in most game situations I've seen.
I'm assuming that in the quote above that the ball actually went off player A, but the official chose to give the ball to Team A rather than call a foul against player B. If this is actually a close out of bounds call, and the possible foul is a close call as well, I've seen veteran officials make such a call. In fact, in the past, I've made this call myself several times. However, in this modern era, when every single play, in every single game, is videotaped by a coach, or a parent, in some cases with a cell phone, I am now hesitant to make such a call. Now, as the lead, I simply try as hard as I can to make the correct call, it's either out of bounds off player A, or it's a foul on Player B. If my partner, at the trail, wants of offer me some help, I'm more than glad to listen to the advice, but I try not to make up "make up calls" anymore.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 07:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm assuming that in the quote above that the ball actually went off player A, but the official chose to give the ball to Team A rather than call a foul against player B. If this is actually a close out of bounds call, and the possible foul is a close call as well, I've seen veteran officials make such a call. In fact, in the past, I've made this call myself several times. However, in this modern era, when every single play, in every single game, is videotaped by a coach, or a parent, in some cases with a cell phone, I am now hesitant to make such a call. Now, as the lead, I simply try as hard as I can to make the correct call, it's either out of bounds off player A, or it's a foul on Player B. If my partner, at the trail, wants of offer me some help, I'm more than glad to listen to the advice, but I try not to make up "make up calls" anymore.
It's still the expected call in some areas, BillyMac.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Do you also tell them that you will be crediting a team with 2 points per basket unless the shot is made with 2 feet behind the 3 point line, in which case you will award 3 points?

My point ... don't say stuff like this. Of course you're out there to enforce the rules... they know this. Say the CYA stuff, and anything the assignor wants reinforced for whatever reason.

Read pg 4 of this thread for context.