The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

What is that league teaching its officials?

Watch the third clip from the top and explain to me how this is a blocking foul, even by NBE standards.

Video Rule Book - Home

"To get into a legal position, the defender needs to establish himself in the path of the offensive player before contact is made and before he starts his upward shooting motion"

Sure looks like he meet those two requirements to me, yet the official position of the league office is that this is a blocking foul.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

In an attempt to discern what the heck the league is trying to get from its officials, I went and viewed all of the video clips under blocking/charging.

What I discovered is that the charging foul clips are so blatant that Stevie Wonder could call them, while some of those labeled as blocking fouls are debatable. I even believe that one of them is outright incorrect and that is the one I mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the league is telling it's officials that if the play isn't so clearly a charge that it is laughable, then a block is the desired call. That seems to fit nicely with what I've always thought about the NBE--FAVOR THE OFFENSE!
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 08:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks for posting the link Nevada. As someone who hasn't reached the level of breaking down tape, there's certainly some very interesting and entertaining film here worthy of review and discussion (traveling, jump stops, etc.) at all levels.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That seems to fit nicely with what I've always thought about the NBE--FAVOR THE OFFENSE!
In other news, the sky is blue.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
In other news, the sky is blue.
The sky is just kidding?
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Thanks for posting the link Nevada. As someone who hasn't reached the level of breaking down tape, there's certainly some very interesting and entertaining film here worthy of review and discussion (traveling, jump stops, etc.) at all levels.
It is a good resource for some video clips of plays, but an NFHS or NCAA official can't go by the conclusion that the NBA level assigns to them. One has to remember to evaluate the plays using NFHS or NCAA rules and come to a proper conclusion. As we've pointed out numerous times the criteria for judging plays is different at the various levels.

I certainly think that there is benefit to be gained from watching those videos, if done with the proper mindset.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I certainly think that there is benefit to be gained from watching those videos, if done with the proper mindset.
Agreed. I think it would be excellent training for my Association (or any one for that matter) to eliminate the NBE verbiage to the right of the film and just watch the plays develop and discuss them using their level (NFHS, FIBA, NCAA) rules.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Really Nevada? I just don't see that the defender was ever in the path of the offensive player in this one. He was still moving trying to get into the path but didn't quite get there before the contact. It wasn't like he was in the path and moving to maintain position.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The sky is just kidding?
What do you mean by "sky"? I know that usually after midnight the sky is black. When the clouds come over it is usually an off white or grey.... Heck I'm just glad you are getting in the BLUE FONT spirit. Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks

I watched the video before I read any of the commentary about the play. I would have gone with a block as well. It appeared to me, especially from the endline angle, that the defender leaned into the ball handler. On the non official terminology scale, the defender didn't "take it in the chest" which some consider the #1 determinate of a block/charge. It further could be argued, that the defender was out side his vertical plane when you see the way he leans sideways.
As to the explaination, the fact that the NBA would favor the offense is a no brainer. Too bad it really doesn't work!
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Al Sleet, The Hippy Dippy Weatherman ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
What do you mean by "sky"? I know that usually after midnight the sky is black. When the clouds come over it is usually an off white or grey.
YouTube - George Carlin 'The Hippy Dippy Weatherman'

(Note: R rated. Make sure the kiddies, or your Mom, are in another room.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 23, 2010 at 12:41pm.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really Nevada? I just don't see that the defender was ever in the path of the offensive player in this one. He was still moving trying to get into the path but didn't quite get there before the contact. It wasn't like he was in the path and moving to maintain position.
I agree with this. Especially after seeing the replay from the baseline camera, I had no problem with the blocking call. I didn't think the defender "beat him" to the spot.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 03:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
[COLOR="blue"]On the non official terminology scale, the defender didn't "take it in the chest" which some consider the #1 determinate of a block/charge.
Fixed it for you. What, you weren't joking?
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I said SOME not I!!! Plus, since it was a rules thing, JR wants me to use a different color BLUE font and I just cant settle on one.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I said SOME not I!!! Plus, since it was a rules thing, JR wants me to use a different color BLUE font and I just cant settle on one.
Just wondering why you threw it into a rules discussion, as it's completely irrelevant.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I've got a block.