The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe misunderstood the op.

B1 touches the ball in B1's front court (A Backcourt) tipping it into B's back court into the hands of B2 in B's backcourt.

I think the issue that hanging me up here is whether the ball has established team control for B in B's front court. I understand that holding or dribbling may not have occurred but as I'm envisioning it would now totally depend on timing, intent and actually seeing the play. I may be splitting hairs but in a world of tip passing, knock down dribbles, one hand passes, drop passes and players being allowed to tip the ball up the length of the floor to themselves without dribbling what constitutes a pass, dribble, deflection, tip, or pass gets grey. If I player can tip the ball to himself or a teammate I would say his team is in control despite it not being a hold or dribble.

Now if he just deflected a pass and it ended up being picked up by a teammate in the ensuing scramble to back court thats one thing, if he's popping the ball out into the hands of waiting teammate that smacks of pass. I can see situations where I would call backcourt and not call it having re-read the op. I think of changing language of picks up/goes to, deflection, one hand slap, etc ,etc I may not be envisioning this the same way as others.

To sum up if it is just a deflection or stray ball that happens to be picked up by a teammate then no. If they player is "tipping" or slapping the ball away to a teammate I'm calling backcourt.

I just worked through a lot of stuff there in my head and writing it out. I'll shut up now.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 07:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Maybe misunderstood the op.

B1 touches the ball in B1's front court (A Backcourt) tipping it into B's back court into the hands of B2 in B's backcourt.

I think the issue that hanging me up here is whether the ball has established team control for B in B's front court. I understand that holding or dribbling may not have occurred but as I'm envisioning it would now totally depend on timing, intent and actually seeing the play. I may be splitting hairs but in a world of tip passing, knock down dribbles, one hand passes, drop passes and players being allowed to tip the ball up the length of the floor to themselves without dribbling what constitutes a pass, dribble, deflection, tip, or pass gets grey. If I player can tip the ball to himself or a teammate I would say his team is in control despite it not being a hold or dribble.

Now if he just deflected a pass and it ended up being picked up by a teammate in the ensuing scramble to back court thats one thing, if he's popping the ball out into the hands of waiting teammate that smacks of pass. I can see situations where I would call backcourt and not call it having re-read the op. I think of changing language of picks up/goes to, deflection, one hand slap, etc ,etc I may not be envisioning this the same way as others.

To sum up if it is just a deflection or stray ball that happens to be picked up by a teammate then no. If they player is "tipping" or slapping the ball away to a teammate I'm calling backcourt.

I just worked through a lot of stuff there in my head and writing it out. I'll shut up now.
You can call it a backcourt, but unless he holds it or dribbles it, player control has not been established by rule. Now, if the ball rests in his hand during the process, I'd say it's control, but it would have to be obvious that he held it.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You can call it a backcourt, but unless he holds it or dribbles it, player control has not been established by rule. Now, if the ball rests in his hand during the process, I'd say it's control, but it would have to be obvious that he held it.
So if a player can catch and shoot it .4 seconds but only redirect or tip to score with less .39 of a sec or less. How long would the ball have to be in contact with his hand for us to deem he "held" a ball.

I'm half joking here since it now sounds like I"m being a jerk.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if a player can catch and shoot it .4 seconds but only redirect or tip to score with less .39 of a sec or less. How long would the ball have to be in contact with his hand for us to deem he "held" a ball.

As been pointed out before, a rule of thumb is if you would grant a timeout, then you have player control and thus team control. It's a judgment call, and that's why we get paid the BIG bucks!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

You're going to down the right track; but the fact is it's a judgment call. The way I see it, it has to be an obvious "hold" to consider it a violation. Just as in an end of game scenario, it would have to be obvious before I'd wave off a shot taken before the horn sounded.

Not a jerk at all; unless you have a guilty conscience.