The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
How do the switches differ, if you don't mind breaking it down. Thanks.
In NFHS, report the foul and remain table-side as trail.

In NCAAM, report the foul and go opposite as center.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Fed seems more efficient....wonder why NCAAM do what they do?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

for me I thought i was a little bored and didn't have as much to do since my piece of the pie just got smaller in 3 crew, but I soon realized it was just the opposite. You need to work harder and can concetrate on your area more in 3 crew. You have another official to work with and figure out. you are covering many different parts of the floor durring one posession.( due to rotations) I have to keep talking to myself about my PCA and what is giong on there. self talk has helped me alot to keep my focus so I dont' get lost. As has been mentioned, don't forget to call the game. the rest will come with time. BTW camp is the place to mess up. that is what you are there for. Our clinicians told us exactly that. don't try to be perfect, just call ball.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Leave the positions out since you can easily be the C tableside (in NFHS or NCAAW) or the T opposite (in NCAAM) after garden-variety fouls.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 02:43pm
In Time Out

Maybe ask some questions but listen when the clinicians give you pointers. I had a couple say totally opposite things but no point in getting in a disagreement or having an excuse. "Shut up and listen" When your center step down toward the rim for the rebound and watch your primary but if you see a foul missed that might be out of your primary(not by much) then don't be afraid to call it. Be careful there as you can get chewed out for both.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Maybe ask some questions but listen when the clinicians give you pointers. I had a couple say totally opposite things but no point in getting in a disagreement or having an excuse. "Shut up and listen" When your center step down toward the rim for the rebound and watch your primary but if you see a foul missed that might be out of your primary(not by much) then don't be afraid to call it. Be careful there as you can get chewed out for both.
Essentially, I've determined that the best result from getting opposite advice from clinicians (sometimes back to back) is hearing both sides of it and allowing myself to develop my own philosophy. Clearly, that only goes so far, but I'm more amused by "opposing clinicians" now than anything else. Used to annoy me....
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. They don't like Ya Buts. just listen
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 05:17pm
In Time Out

also get sleep, don't stress out about the games and just try to take in what you can. I kind of burned out my first camp but my understanding and techniques really improved as the camp went on. For first time campers it can be a big adjustment so just try to keep positive even if you make mistakes.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 06:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I kind of burned out my first camp.....
Based on your posts, I'm guessing it was this kind of camp.

Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
So I'm going to a camp this summer that's all 3 whistle. I've immersed myself in the manual, and watch as many games as I can but I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on what are some of the big differences are?

What was the learning curve like? What are some of the mistakes you first made? What do I need to know that the manual DOESN'T tell me.

Thanks.

PS If anyone has FIBA experience, that would be great since that's what I'll be using.
The learning curve for me really was not that high, as I came along at a time when I was learning both at the same time. That being said to understand 3 you must understand 2 and why they add another official. The main thing that anyone that works 3 Person is to know the rotations and switches. After that it is just officiating. The manuals often to do tell you that part when to rotate and when to not rotate. At least not one that I have read so far.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 07:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Out Of Three ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
This is why Wisconsin has trouble accepting 3 man crews.
It's worse here in The Constitution State. 95% of our regular season games are two person. All of our league and conference championship tournaments are two person. Early rounds in the state tournament are two person games. It's not until the state quarterfinals that three person crews are used. There's a lot of pointing going on in these quarterfinals as the guys try to help each other out. I saw a switch this year, with just a common foul, and no change of possession, where the trail moved all the way to the endline, kept on circling around, and ended up as the new trail, only on the other side of the court from where he started.

It's going to be worse next year. For several years we've worked a scholarship holiday tournament, at several sites, for free, with three person crews. Next year the officials will get paid, and our board will make a large donation to the scholarship fund. With home teams at several sites paying for officials, do you think that they're going to want three person crews?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked 2-man for a couple years, and worked some 3-man HS games this year. After reading the manuals, the biggest challenges for me were:

1) seeing the rotations of my partners. For example, in 2-man I really focus on my primary, but in 3-man you also have to keep a peripheral vision on your partners. I found that to be difficult, and it would break my concentration on my primary.

2) as C or T in 3-man, your primary changes regularly. So it was a challenge initially to instantly adjust to the new primary when the L would rotate and you all of a sudden had a whole new area to cover.

The bottom line is that I felt that I was not officiating as well as my 2-man games, because these two things were distracting me during the game.