The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Working 3-person Saturday afternoon. Two good partners. I'm the L tableside near the end of the game. Dribbler runs defender right into a blind screen -- time and distance not an issue as the screener was stationary for a long, long time -- and looking through the back of the screener peripherally, it looked like the defender planted the screener.

But I had two partners looking right at it and, well, I trust them.

In the locker room, both said how the girl embellished the contact and actually smacked her hands on the floor to try to draw a call from both of them.

Now, what if I saw this as an elephant and jumped in -- to "save the day."

There's a reason we don't reach very often and are willing to allow a partner to be wrong rather than jumping in ourselves: Who's to say our view of it is the *right* one?
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 06:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Now, what if I saw this as an elephant and jumped in -- to "save the day."
Sounds like a really small elephant. The rule only applies to full grown African elephants.*

*Indian elephants are smaller.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
*Indian elephants are smaller.
And their ears aren't shaped like Africa.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Set up a scrimmage/practice game/kiddie game and schedule this official to work.
Get the two coaches on board with the following plan ahead of time. You arrange for a time when the official is ball-watching outside of his PCA and then you have two players in his area start an altercation. Could be as simple as having one kid go to the ground holding his face and yelling. Have a bunch of other people holler, "He punched him! Didn't you see that, ref? It was right next to you."

This individual needs to understand why it is important to watch his primary area. Until a severe off-ball situation happens there, he won't grasp the concept.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Set up a scrimmage/practice game/kiddie game and schedule this official to work.
Get the two coaches on board with the following plan ahead of time. You arrange for a time when the official is ball-watching outside of his PCA and then you have two players in his area start an altercation. Could be as simple as having one kid go to the ground holding his face and yelling. Have a bunch of other people holler, "He punched him! Didn't you see that, ref? It was right next to you."

This individual needs to understand why it is important to watch his primary area. Until a severe off-ball situation happens there, he won't grasp the concept.
I've had two recurring fantasies while watching two ball watchers work a JV game in front of us.

The first fantasy is that I'm the coach of one of the teams and I use the fact that they're ball watchers to get away with everything I possibly could.

The other fantasy is that I'm playing in a rec game with those ball watchers working and use my knowledge to get away with anything *I* want to. I'd probably limit myself to quick pushes in the back on rebounds and just manhandling the post player, though.