The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

i am a younger official in my second year in officiating high school. i started officiating when i was 14. i already have 5 years under my belt, and learn from other very talented officials who also oficiate at the collegiate level. so i feel my knowledge of the game is very decent of the game of basketball. well since i am young, many people oftentimes even other officials can be pushy and try to act like they are "big time" one way or another. well, i officiated a game this past week, a game between 2 frosh teams. a varsity official whom i know his daughter was playing the varsity contest later that day. at halftime he walks into the locker room uninvited, , He comments to me that theirs alot of violations and that i need to call more of them. my take is, at the freshman girls level, which were weaker teams in the league as of girls basketball,I think its important to call the obvious, as well as any violations when an advantage is gained over the opponent, is when i blow the whistle, otherwise if its is subtle, and an advantage was not gained, then at the lower level of basketball, why call it and make a 2 hour game last 2.5 when you have triple headers scheduled through the night? my thing is to let the players play, the parents dont pay their 5 bucks to come watch us tweek the whistle, they come to watch their son, daughter. then he made the comment, "oh, and there was only 3 fouls on one team and 5 on the other. that is not enough for freshman games." i told him," if there is one foul all game, so be it. im not looking for fouls since we only had few of them." the thing is he has to consider that it was very laid back game, not much going on at the post nor on the blocks, much of what occured was outside, and very limited pressing occured, so there is no reason that the fouls that were called were totally unacceptable just because we had few. he also told me that," hey the coach is pretty upset with a few of your calls." I told him, " hes allowed to, hes a coach. I dont expect a coach to like or agree with every call i make throughout a game. if he wants an explanation and the time permits, ill explain it. if he wants to run his mouth, then i wont waste my breath." any suggestions as to how to handle this official and the future OFFICIATING TIPS he offfers as to how to deal with this official? this is not the first time hes tried to push his ways on me.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Josh
There is no easy answer to your question. I certain everyone in this forum has a similiar story. Be polite.
Call your game and be consistent.

My reply to local official when he gets on his soapbox is "You can be a parent. You can be an official. But you can't be both at the same time."
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Cool Evaluate the source of the opinions

Josh,

Listen to the older official, smile, shake your head a lot, and wait for him to leave. Then consider what he said, as there may be a couple of things during his tirade that could help you down the road. Try to find these gems and apply them to your game. Discard the rest.

It seems that most officials think that they can teach others how to referee the game. That is why I tell young officials to watch the person who gives them advice, and see how they work the game. If they consistently do a good job, then it is probably worth your time to listen carefully and even attach yourself to their coat tails to help your career.

If, on the other hand, the know-it-all official can't referee dead, then place his comments to you in the appropriate container. Recycling is not always a good thing.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:43am
Esteemed Participant

The easiest thing to do is just nod and say "I understand"...then let it go...why get all wound up about it? If you hear the same thing from more than one "experienced official" then put it into your game, otherwise, let it go...
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Might Try This Tactic

After letting the varsity guy ramble for a minute, you might say "My partner and I would like to go over a couple of things in private. Could you give us a couple of minutes?" I can't imagine that he wouldn't leave. Then you could have a chuckle with your partner as he slinks away.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Association policy

Our Association (OR) has adopted a policy to avoid this. For 10 minutes prior to the game, during halftime, and 10 minutes following a game, the game officials are not to be approached by other officials unless invited. The purpose is to not distract from the game.

I think that a polite "Thank you for your input. May we discuss a few points regarding the game in private." would be a great response. Then, slip a note to your commissioner regarding the incident. He, the man of power, could then address the situation at the next meeting.

Best of luck
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 03:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The title of your thread is "arrogant officials." This guy doesn't sound arrogant to me, just a bit out of line. If he wanted to give you some pointers, a quiet word at your next meeting would have been appropriate. Also - you should at least consider the possibility that the guy really was just trying to help who he perceived to be a young official. He just didn't do it in the correct manner.

Having said that, I would have punched the SOB right in the face and told him to mind his own damn business. Then I would have made fun of his pants.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Having said that, I would have punched the SOB right in the face and told him to mind his own damn business. Then I would have made fun of his pants.
Am I missing something? Why would you make fun of his pants?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Gee Mr. Padgette, tell us how you really feel

Josh, sounds like this guy was just trying to be helpful. Find something useful in what he said and flush the rest. He definetly needs to work on his approach when offering constructive criticism (even though that is an oxymoron).
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 03:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Because it would make him look down and give me another opportunity for an uppercut to the nose. Then, when he was knocked out, I would have put him under a cold shower until the water started coming out his ears.

Oh wait - that was just the dream I had about a certain coach. Sorry.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The easiest thing to do is just nod and say "I understand"...then let it go...why get all wound up about it? If you hear the same thing from more than one "experienced official" then put it into your game, otherwise, let it go...
This is something I always told new officials: If you hear a comment from one observer (varsity officials were required to observe JV officials), ignore it. If you start hearing it from more than one official, then it's probably something to think about. But always smile, and thank them for their input.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Hey I can totally understand how you feel. I did the same by starting when I was 14. I had many college officials help me along the way as well. This didn't hold too well with the "older" officials in the league. Now I am a college official and I just learned to keep my mouth shut, nod my head like I was really interested and let them leave. Do I change the way I am officiating? NO, I still call it the same way. Now what someone said earlier is very true, if you hear it from more than one take it a ton more seriously. In fact try to get on video tape. Still when I go to a game I don't say a whole lot unless I am asked.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Then I would have made fun of his pants.
Probably b/c they were pleated!

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

arrogant officals

Any official who is attending a game as a parent will be hard pressed to be objective. I don't have a problem with constructive criticism, but this is not the time or place for it. The parent/official should be politely asked to leave the officials' room, and your board president should be advised and take appropriate action. - Kelly
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Cool "Objective" Parents

I have a parent who has seen fit to address playing time with me twice, and both times because he was "concerned for the sake of the team." Just so hppens that it was the 2 times in close to 100 games that his daughter had played for me that he felt she got shorted. But of course, he is addressing it out of an objective concern for the team

Kind of odd that his objective concern never seems to kick in when somebody else's kid get shorted and his daughter plays almost the whole game