The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Question?

Can a referee sit a coach down without calling a technical on them?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:00am
This IS My Social Life

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
No. The Head Coaches' Rule granting use of the coaches box upon state adoption (10-5-1a) is either all or nothing. It's not like baseball where you can restrict a coach to the dugout.
Partner two weeks ago actually told a coach, "Go and sit down or I'll give you a technical."
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've seen partners do it, but I wouldn't.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Based on what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've seen partners do it, but I wouldn't.
+1

If you're there.....you're there! If he deserves a seat belt, he earned it. Whack him!

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 09:31am.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

If you want him to sit down, why wouldn't you whack him? Pet Peeve of mine. If the coach needs to sit, you need to grow a pair and whack him. There are no bonus points for NOT whacking a coach.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Along the same lines: I have seen an senior official, during a dead ball, stop the game, pull two opposing players off the floor, both of whom had been playing rough and tell the coaches to provide a sub for each. He didn't T them up, just wanted them off the floor for a cooling period.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

You can tell a coach do to a lot of things, it does not mean they have to listen. Some coaches will listen, other coaches will take offense. But if you stick a coach then you will not have to worry about what they are going to listen to because now by rule they are required to sit.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

haha . . . I saw a game end on this one. My old man was a coach and the ref told him he had to sit down.

The ole' ball coach informed him, no where in the rules did he have to sit down.

The official told him he was responsible for managing the safety and conduct of everyone invloved so he was telling him he had to sit down or he'd have him removed.

Coach says there is no where in the rules that says I have to sit.

The official tosses him. No coach remaining on the bench high school rules say the game is now over. Game ends!
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:21am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Gator, Redskin, Gamecock or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
The ole' ball coach informed him, no where in the rules did he have to sit down.
Steve Spurrier?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You can tell a coach do to a lot of things, it does not mean they have to listen. Some coaches will listen, other coaches will take offense. But if you stick a coach then you will not have to worry about what they are going to listen to because now by rule they are required to sit.

Peace
This leads to my problem with it. I've seen partners tell a coach to sit and not do anything when he refused. I've seen varsity refs do it in games I was watching. Of course they didn't do anything, you can't T a HC for standing within the coaching box.

Now, you've just issued an "order" that wasn't followed and have no recourse.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This leads to my problem with it. I've seen partners tell a coach to sit and not do anything when he refused. I've seen varsity refs do it in games I was watching. Of course they didn't do anything, you can't T a HC for standing within the coaching box.

Now, you've just issued an "order" that wasn't followed and have no recourse.
I completely agree with you on the "request." My point is that you can tell a coach a lot of things; it does not mean they will listen. And telling a coach to sit down when they do not have to under the rules is playing with a fire in a gasoline tank. It can easily explode on you if you get the right coach. But you can T a coach for all kinds of things and this is why if you feel that way as an official, just T the coach and they will be obligated to sit down by rule. So I would never make a request like this. But I have told coaches to "move on" or to "stop saying" certain things that I feel are inappropriate. But those are used as warnings and not used to dictate what a coach should or should not do.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
i completely agree with you on the "request." my point is that you can tell a coach a lot of things; it does not mean they will listen. And telling a coach to sit down when they do not have to under the rules is playing with a fire in a gasoline tank. It can easily explode on you if you get the right coach. But you can t a coach for all kinds of things and this is why if you feel that way as an official, just t the coach and they will be obligated to sit down by rule. So i would never make a request like this. But i have told coaches to "move on" or to "stop saying" certain things that i feel are inappropriate. But those are used as warnings and not used to dictate what a coach should or should not do.

Peace
+1
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Possibly ? Kind Of ? Almost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
If a technical foul is charged to bench personnel for an unsporting comment made to an official, or any other of a variety of reasons (pregame dunk), then an indirect technical foul also gets charged to the head coach, who then loses his privilege of standing in the coaching box.

Once he loses this privilege, he still can stand for a few reasons: to request a time-out or signal his players to request a time-out; to confer with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out for correctable error, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake to be prevented or rectified; to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game; during a charged timeout, intermission between quarters and extra periods; and to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player.

If, after losing his standing in the coaching box privilege, he is standing, and doing something that's not on the list above, like yelling plays to his players, then, yes, the official can tell the coach to sit down.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Gee - maybe the NF should adopt the rule we have in our local kids rec league - no coaching box.