The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt Violation Help

Do you guys and girls look at where the player is or where the ball is on a Backcourt Violation. In other words do you always see if the ball has Frontcourt status vs. Backcourt status rather than where the player touches the ball.

Had a bang/bang play on a throw in from the side line near midcourt. Team A is in their front court ball is passed to A1 near the mid court line where she touches it (gains possession) and then she steps over the line into the backcourt. I called a Violation.

I saw that the ball had Frontcourt status on the possession and then she preceded into the backcourt.

Is this the right thing to look at??

Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:14pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
where she touches it (gains possession)
This is very difficult to visualize. Wanna try again??
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
This is very difficult to visualize. Wanna try again??
haha sure. I was just trying to say where she gained possession. I don't know why I added all the other.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:33pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Question

Quote:
haha sure. I was just trying to say where she gained possession. I don't know why I added all the other.
Touching the ball does not confer control. If the ball was just touched in the f/c and not controlled til it was retrieved in the b/c, I've got nothing. Start 10 sec count and play on...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Touching the ball does not confer control. If the ball was just touched in the f/c and not controlled til it was retrieved in the b/c, I've got nothing. Start 10 sec count and play on...
Right. The question I have is the applying the principles. Do you all say "Okay ball had Frontcourt status" or do you look at the position of the player to determine if it's Backcourt or not. I think its hard to explain. All I can say is do you look at the ball (determine status) or the position of the player??

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Right. The question I have is the applying the principles. Do you all say "Okay ball had Frontcourt status" or do you look at the position of the player to determine if it's Backcourt or not. I think its hard to explain. All I can say is do you look at the ball (determine status) or the position of the player??

Thanks
I'm not sure what you're asking. You need to know both. In your situation, the status of the ball is determined by the status of the player who is holding or dribbling it.

The way I read your situation, it's a violation. If she gained control with FC status and then stepped into the BC, it's a clear violation. Once she gains control, the throwin is over. Unless she gained control in the air and landed in the BC, in which case there is a clear exception that applies.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Exception Applies?

If the sitch is as I think it is, that is, on a throw-in, 9-9-3 may apply:
A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.
Since there is no team control during a throw-in, and team control had not yet been established in the frontcourt, his/her control of the ball in the backcourt would not have been a violation due to this exception.
Is this applicable to the situation you are trying to describe?
(I'm not sure this answered the question)