The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsandy View Post
I was coaching a game on Monday, where our player was in the process of tying up the other team's player in a jump ball, when the opposing team's coach yelled time-out!!! He was granted the time-out and the jump-ball change of possession was avoided. I told the ref that he did not need to grant the time-out, especially when there was a question as to whether which team was controlling the ball.

Can you professionals illuminate the ruling a little more?
As you describe it I wouldn't agree that there was a question as to whether or not a team was in posession. This was not a loose ball your opponent had posession of it. Therefore I'm guessing the official ruled that the coach called timeout before your player tied it up. You are correct that he didn't "have to" grant it, but if his team clearly has control then there isn't really a reason why he wouldn't. Don't confuse this with a situation where there is a loose ball and two players are going after it vying for control, in that case I would tend to withhold granting the TO request until it was clear to me that one of the players has control.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
When there is a held ball situation, no one can request time out.
Really?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Really?
5-8-3a

The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.

A player does not have control of ball during a held-ball situation.

Held ball definition: 4-25-1 (for this case)

Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.

So yes, you cannot request timeouts when held-ball happens because no one has full control of the ball.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5-8-3a

Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.

So yes, you cannot request timeouts when held-ball happens because no one has full control of the ball.

Check your vocabulary. And yes it makes a difference.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5-8-3a

Anybody can request a timeout anytime they want to. Whether or not the official GRANTS the timeout is a completely different issue.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
When there is a held ball situation, no one can request time out. But happens sometimes though, is that the held ball situation will happen, let's say for now, in the corner of the L, and the T doesn't see it is a held ball situation when a coach yells for a time out and the T will stop the ball dead to grant it. But the rules say that once a time out is granted, it cannot be revoked. So you have the time out and you restart the game with that team having the ball OOB.
You've almost got it right. If a TO is granted while the ball is jointly held; you grant the time out and still go to the arrow. In practice, however, I would inform the requesting coach that we still have a held ball and see if he still wants the TO.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 05:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsandy View Post
I was coaching a game on Monday, where our player was in the process of tying up the other team's player in a jump ball, when the opposing team's coach yelled time-out!!! He was granted the time-out and the jump-ball change of possession was avoided. I told the ref that he did not need to grant the time-out, especially when there was a question as to whether which team was controlling the ball.

Can you professionals illuminate the ruling a little more?
I'm seeing a situation in my head where the other team was holding the ball and your player was trying to tie him up. If the coach's request came even a split second before your player succeeded in tying up the opponent, the TO should be granted.

If the TO was requested after the ball was truly tied up, and the official blew his whistle to grant it; he should grant it but put the ball back into play with the arrow.

Note, the request doesn't have to come before the defense touches the ball; it needs to come before the official judges the ball is tied up. It's a judgment call all the way.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
No, it doesn't. Clearly a lot of things happen to you that don't happen to most of the rest of us.
Of all the things to jump on him about, this seems awfully petty to me. I can tell you I've had exactly one player request a timeout in the past 4 seasons, and I flat out forgot to even get his number.

Further more, I couldn't even tell you where it's written that we're supposed to get the number.
Disregard, I found it in the mechanics, but stand by the rest.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 06:12pm.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Select A Prize From The Top Shelf ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdurham View Post
how long has it been since only a player on the court could call a time-out? When was the allowance made for coaches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
it was some time in the late 90s.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Of all the things to jump on him about, this seems awfully petty to me. I can tell you I've had exactly one player request a timeout in the past 4 seasons, and I flat out forgot to even get his number.
I hardly jumped on him. I don't really care if you think it's petty. At the lower levels, the kids aren't as savvy to think about calling timeout when they are on the floor with the ball and it's about to be tied up - the coach is usually the one who calls timeout in that situation. The varsity kids are a little smarter and will do this quite often.