The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Head coach ejected; timeout interp

Fed Rules:

In 2004, the head coach may request timeout with the rule change that year. The interpretation meeting for that year said that the if the head coach is ejected, the newly designated head coach may request timeouts. I also saw this interp in the 2005 NFHS/NCAA rules difference book.

However, 2006 Casebook 3.5.2 Situation B states that if a head coach is ejected, the new head coach cannot call timeouts.

Is the Casebook interp correct? I like the 2004 interp better. I would like to hear your opinions.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes
Fed Rules:

In 2004, the head coach may request timeout with the rule change that year. The interpretation meeting for that year said that the if the head coach is ejected, the newly designated head coach may request timeouts. I also saw this interp in the 2005 NFHS/NCAA rules difference book.

However, 2006 Casebook 3.5.2 Situation B states that if a head coach is ejected, the new head coach cannot call timeouts.

Is the Casebook interp correct? I like the 2004 interp better. I would like to hear your opinions.
A replacement head coach could NEVER call timeouts where I live.

Why would you "like" the other way better? It's not like a football head coach gets ejected often.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I like it better based on definition.

Head Coach ejected. The newly designed coach assumes all head coach responsibilities and priviledges. Such as, responsibility that all players are legally equiped, timeouts etc.

I know this won't happen too often. But I just want to clarify it before it does
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

The 2004 case book, i.e. interpretation was changed in 2005.
That's what it is today and that's what we have to live with.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
If the head coach elects to coach from the press box or is ejected the team looses it right to have the coach call a time out.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, how tough are you guys on this rule? If your HC is on the sideline and he tells his Def. Coordinator, "we have 2 timeouts, use one if you need it," and the Def. Coordinator says, "OK, TIME OUT." Are you granting the timeout or are you ignoring the DC?
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I talk to the coach about this prior to the game and if an assistant calls a TO I look right at the coach and make him call it. If I hear them talking about calling a TO after the next play I will remind him that he has to do it. preventative officiating with this one, they coach usually appreciates the help.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
Just out of curiosity, how tough are you guys on this rule? If your HC is on the sideline and he tells his Def. Coordinator, "we have 2 timeouts, use one if you need it," and the Def. Coordinator says, "OK, TIME OUT." Are you granting the timeout or are you ignoring the DC?
Since I will have already found out who the head coach is on my side and reminded him before the game starts that he is the only coach from whom I can accept a time out, I will happily and quietly ignore the DC.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I find it just as easy to tell the coach before the game if I hear "time out", I assume it is him and will grant the time out. If this is not what he wishes, then he needs to keep his assistant coaches quiet all night long. After that, we don't usually have a problem with assistants calling anything.
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Just point at a player on the sideline next to the coach, have him step out and ask for a timeout
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
I apply this the same as any other rule. Advantage/disadvantage .. time/situation.

Just got done doing my game of the season. #3 in the state was upset by a local rival. Head coach on my sideline is a very prominate coach. Everyone knows who the head coach of this team is. Late in the game (less than 2 min), Asst. Coach is screaming at me, TIME OUT TIME OUT... I just stare at him. (NOTE: Clock is stopped for a first down here and R is holding ready seeing this arguement going on).

The head coach looks at him and says "we only have one left..you sure?". I say to HC "You want it?". He just walks away. Asst. Coach resumes screaming at me at the top of his lungs. Again I just look at him... "your not the head coach".. I say. Coach did get his time out and he didn't lose a second. Was fun though...Asst. coach had been riding me all game but I'd been turning a deaf ear. Was fun to get him back a bit.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I kind of suspected people were handling this one a little differently. There's nothing I hate more than trying to enforce a rule on a sideline and having the response be, "we've been doing it all season."

Our WH reminds them during the pre-game conference. If I have an assistant try to call time out, I always look to the HC and ask "Time-out?"

I had my first sideline warning this year on Friday night. Home team is on the 5 going in on 4th and 1. During my pre-snap, I glance up my sideline and do a double take - the HC is standing on the numbers with his hands on his knees and his clipboard on the ground. When I told him what we had, he said, "I've been doing this all year." Ugh!