The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Are any of you allowing this?

Here's a pic from a state championship game here in New Jersey that was played yesterday. Look at #15's left arm. I disallow these and every week the coach moans when I tell him to have all his players remove these.

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/shaler...2&pagtotal=177

Some of you may think I'm being "ticky tack" with this but #1 it's not technically allowed, and #2 one got caught on a facemask earlier in the season (it wasn't our game) and we were told to put a stop to allowing kids to wear these bands around their forearms and biceps. We've been told wrist bands are OK, but not these.

Are you enforcing it or allowing it?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

In my state bicep bands are allowed. Bicep bands are the bands made with the type of material that you see made with compression shirts or shorts. Bicep bands are made of a neoprene (sp?) material that is not like the cloth of a normal sweatband. Now it is hard to tell from this picture what material these are made for. In other states this might not be allowed, but we were told to allow the bicep bands to be located above the elbow and not sweatbands (look at your definitions of what is considered a sweatband).

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I enforced it when I could. But when you're one of the few doing so, it can be pretty difficult.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Cookies required to view pic. This URL sucks.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I'm staying out of this discussion. I got shot down on the Fed web site about it because I said that there are more important things to enforce than this, but at this point in time, I just don't care.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:28pm
Chain of Fools

Most of the bands I saw this year

were the thin sweatbands pulled up. Most of the time we covered it with a few players on each team in pregame and the problem took care of itself. If we saw it during the game, we just told them to pull them down- no flags.

The kids usually just tossed them off because when pulled down to the normal sweatband "area" they start to flop around.

I
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
I'm staying out of this discussion. I got shot down on the Fed web site about it because I said that there are more important things to enforce than this, but at this point in time, I just don't care.
Fair enough Grant and I understand your position. Prior to the season I might have thought the same way. But this season one did get caught on a facemask in a game and it raised some concern which was discussed in a meeting. And, since a player in our district got paralayzed from the neck down (not related to one of these bands) in a scrimmage back in August it still makes you even more cautious.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Joe, do you also look for the pads to cover the knees? What about players who cut their jerseys just below the numbers?

We were told in one of our early meetings this year to be diligent about making sure the knees were covered.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Joe, do you also look for the pads to cover the knees? What about players who cut their jerseys just below the numbers?

We were told in one of our early meetings this year to be diligent about making sure the knees were covered.
I haven't seen any who have actually cut their shirts. We usually remind them to tuck shirts in but that's not the highest priority. For the knees thing, yes!

One thing I think we can do better at is "inter-chapter" communications. Come playoff time if crews from one chapter continuously allow something that they shouldn't and a diligent crew comes in at playoff time and disallows something then we start off the game with a sour note and everyone's pi$$ed off.