The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Allowing a Coach to Call a Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57049-allowing-coach-call-timeout.html)

CDurham Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:18pm

Allowing a Coach to Call a Timeout

How long has it been since only a Player on the court could call a Time-out? When was the allowance made for Coaches

Thanks

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 660449)
How long has it been since only a Player on the court could call a Time-out? When was the allowance made for Coaches

Thanks

I can't even remember a time when a coach couldn't request a time out. For as long as I can remember coaches can request at time out.

BTW, you're gonna get ripped apart by some of the guys on the forum if you don't say "request". Coaches can't call time outs... they can request it, officials grant it. Just a fair warning:)

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:33pm

It was some time in the late 90s IIRC. Players still had to request them when I played, but coaches could request them when I started calling...at least, that's how I remember it.

TimTaylor Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660456)
BTW, you're gonna get ripped apart by some of the guys on the forum if you don't say "request". Coaches can't call time outs... they can request it, officials grant it. Just a fair warning:)

What he said:D:D:D

Seriously though, it's a good thing to get used to using the correct terminology.....

CDurham Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 660459)
What he said:D:D:D

Seriously though, it's a good thing to get used to using the correct terminology.....

Haha yeah its a habit to break going from player to official. You always hear from coaches "Call timeout"

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660456)
I can't even remember a time when a coach couldn't request a time out. For as long as I can remember coaches can request at time out.

It is a good distinction to make because coaches must know that just because they say "timeout" that does not mean it is supposed to be granted automatically.

And for the record I hate this rule as I think coaches overreact or assume a lot of things as a result of their request. They should teach their players to request a timeout as we are actually paying attention to them.

Peace

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:55pm

Our local kids rec league doesn't allow coaches to request timeouts. OK - they can try, but we ignore them. :)

Oh yeah - we also don't have a coaches box. Can you tell that all four members of our rules committee are officials? :)

bas2456 Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660462)
It is a good distinction to make because coaches must know that just because they say "timeout" that does not mean it is supposed to be granted automatically.

And for the record I hate this rule as I think coaches overreact or assume a lot of things as a result of their request. They should teach their players to request a timeout as we are actually paying attention to them.

Peace

I'm beginning to despise the rule as well. It's difficult to pick out the coach's voice in an intense situation more often than not, especially when we're on the other side of the court from their bench.

TimTaylor Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660462)

Peace

I agree. Especially in areas where we work only 2 man, there's a lot of things we have to be paying attention to, and listening for a coach's T.O. request is low on the priority list. This one I would like to see changed back to what it used to be - only a player on the floor can request a timeout.

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:43pm

The other thing is that I'm so used to going over to the table to say "Blue Time out, 30 seconds, COACH, start timer". But when a player requests a time out, I will remember the number but I say "coach" by accident at the table and then say "I mean, number 32".

I'm sure that happens to a lot of us.

Smitty Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660479)
I'm sure that happens to a lot of us.

No, it doesn't. Clearly a lot of things happen to you that don't happen to most of the rest of us.

trsandy Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:47pm

I was coaching a game on Monday, where our player was in the process of tying up the other team's player in a jump ball, when the opposing team's coach yelled time-out!!! He was granted the time-out and the jump-ball change of possession was avoided. I told the ref that he did not need to grant the time-out, especially when there was a question as to whether which team was controlling the ball.

Can you professionals illuminate the ruling a little more?

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 660482)
No, it doesn't. Clearly a lot of things happen to you that don't happen to most of the rest of us.

You mean to tell me that after a whole season of only coaches requesting a time out, that in your last game of the season a player requests a time out and you go over to the table and don't even slightly have to think about it for a second and say in your head "right, a player requested it this time".

Smitty Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 660484)
You mean to tell me that after a whole season of only coaches requesting a time out, that in your last game of the season a player requests a time out and you go over to the table and don't even slightly have to think about it for a second and say in your head "right, a player requested it this time".

That's exactly what I'm telling you. It just happened this past week as a matter of fact. Probably the second player timeout I've had this season. No problem at all reporting the number. I work hard at this job. I don't find myself in any of the bizarre situations you post about regularly. There is a correlation there...

representing Wed Feb 10, 2010 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by trsandy (Post 660483)
I was coaching a game on Monday, where our player was in the process of tying up the other team's player in a jump ball, when the opposing team's coach yelled time-out!!! He was granted the time-out and the jump-ball change of possession was avoided. I told the ref that he did not need to grant the time-out, especially when there was a question as to whether which team was controlling the ball.

Can you professionals illuminate the ruling a little more?

When there is a held ball situation, no one can request time out. But happens sometimes though, is that the held ball situation will happen, let's say for now, in the corner of the L, and the T doesn't see it is a held ball situation when a coach yells for a time out and the T will stop the ball dead to grant it. But the rules say that once a time out is granted, it cannot be revoked. So you have the time out and you restart the game with that team having the ball OOB.