The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 206
Coach wants a timeout...

...after the first free throw. He tells you before the first free throw is administered (while you're reporting the foul). Do you give it to him as soon as the first free throw is finished or do you make him ask for it again?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,732
I always tell them to request the timeout at the proper time or when they want it called. I do that so that if they change their mind it is not on me. I have yet to have a coach not understand or get mad because I did not give them a "pre-determined" timeout.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I always tell them to request the timeout at the proper time or when they want it called. I do that so that if they change their mind it is not on me. I have yet to have a coach not understand or get mad because I did not give them a "pre-determined" timeout.

Peace
What he said.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,910
I agree with the others. I'll say OK coach, but I'll look at you after the first to make sure. Then I do that and if they still want it, grant the TO.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:19pm
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
With that being said, is it correct procedure to grant a pre-determined TO in the following situations?

a> after a team scores, the throw-in teams coach says give me a time out when we cross half court.

b> after a dead ball the defensive teams coach says if they score give me a time out?

Or should we have them request again?
Personally, knowing in advance on those type of situations makes managing the game easier. It’s nothing like granting a time out when coach really called the play “five out” or you didn’t hear coach requesting at all because of the crowd noise.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:20pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
...after the first free throw. He tells you before the first free throw is administered (while you're reporting the foul). Do you give it to him as soon as the first free throw is finished or do you make him ask for it again?
As the others have said, you simply follow the rules. You grant a TO only when it's legally requested. It's covered in NFHS rule 5-8-3.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:21pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
With that being said, is it correct procedure to grant a pre-determined TO in the following situations?

a> after a team scores, the throw-in teams coach says give me a time out when we cross half court.

b> after a dead ball the defensive teams coach says if they score give me a time out?
No and no.

Rule 5-8-3.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:27pm
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yep, I guess the key words are granted only when...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As the others have said, you simply follow the rules. You grant a TO only when it's legally requested. It's covered in NFHS rule 5-8-3.
The rule does not specify that a coach may not request a timeout for a future occurence. It only says specifies when an official may grant a timeout.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:35pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
The rule does not specify that a coach may not request a timeout for a future occurence. It only says specifies when an official may grant a timeout.
Yup, it sureasheck does tell you when to grant a legal request for a TO. That's exactly why you can't grant pre-requests. It ain't specified in the rule as being one of the only occasions during which TO requests may be granted.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, it sureasheck does tell you when to grant a legal request for a TO. That's exactly why you can't grant pre-requests. It ain't specified in the rule as being one of the only occasions during which TO requests may be granted.
JR, the rule book gives NO guidelines on the requesting of a timeout. None. Only the granting of a timeout.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
With that being said, is it correct procedure to grant a pre-determined TO in the following situations?

a> after a team scores, the throw-in teams coach says give me a time out when we cross half court.

b> after a dead ball the defensive teams coach says if they score give me a time out?

Or should we have them request again?
Personally, knowing in advance on those type of situations makes managing the game easier. It’s nothing like granting a time out when coach really called the play “five out” or you didn’t hear coach requesting at all because of the crowd noise.
Have them request again and, more importantly, tell them that they're going to have to request it when they actually want it.

The only thing that should be "easier" is that you now know the coach wants the TO, but you shouldn't cop out by granting it early.
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
JR, the rule book gives NO guidelines on the requesting of a timeout. None. Only the granting of a timeout.
Take another look at 5-8-3. They request, we grant, assuming the timing of both is proper. There is no provision for a "delay" between asking and receiving.
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Take another look at 5-8-3. They request, we grant, assuming the timing of both is proper. There is no provision for a "delay" between asking and receiving.
Again, the timing is specifically linked to the "granting" and not the "request" as outlined in the rule.

I understand your point, but I also do not know for sure that because there is no provision mentioned, it is not allowed.

I'm just not convinced that it's not something that is allowed. I agree that it's poor procedure and, as JRut pointed out, can lead to confusion and therefore shouldn't be used, but I'm not really willing to concede - for the sake of argument - that it's illegal per se.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Again, the timing is specifically linked to the "granting" and not the "request" as outlined in the rule.

I understand your point, but I also do not know for sure that because there is no provision mentioned, it is not allowed.

I'm just not convinced that it's not something that is allowed. I agree that it's poor procedure and, as JRut pointed out, can lead to confusion and therefore shouldn't be used, but I'm not really willing to concede - for the sake of argument - that it's illegal per se.
A basic rule of thumb is when a rule does not specifically allow something it is a stretch to assume you can do it. In a situation like this it really is a stretch. BTW, a coach can only request a timeout. Officials actually grant them and I am not granting one with "if...." and "when this happens...." as apart of my duties.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head coach ejected; timeout interp verticalStripes Football 11 Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:17am
Timeout fonzzy07 Basketball 3 Fri May 05, 2006 07:29am
30 second timeout Rita C Basketball 15 Sat Jan 14, 2006 05:41pm
Timeout??? Bchill24 Basketball 6 Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:34am
Timeout Rookie Basketball 17 Wed Dec 12, 2001 04:44am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1