The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 03:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Last week, in the now famous "Vote of Confidence" game, I was passing the home bench and heard "Timeout." I blew the whistle and made the signal just as I realized that it was the ac who had actually spoken the words. What would you have done in this situation?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Last week, in the now famous "Vote of Confidence" game, I was passing the home bench and heard "Timeout." I blew the whistle and made the signal just as I realized that it was the ac who had actually spoken the words. What would you have done in this situation?
I'd have asked the HC if he wanted one. If not, IW and play on (unless the other coach requests one at this point). If so, grant it and move on.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Another approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
1) Late in the game ALWAYS know how many timeouts each team has left - one of my partners had just granted Team A their last a few moments before and didn't tell his partners, but now I make it a point to find out for myself.
I thought I'd read it somewhere on this site, but it was offered that how many TOs a team has left isn't important. It's only important to know when they have used their last one.

That way, I can inform the team and HC at the same time (in their huddle, or as it breaks up) "COACH, NO TIMEOUTS LEFT."*

I like the idea of pre-gaming/reminding the scorer's table to notify the officials when a team uses it's last timeout. I can check the book, confirm the side, and inform the coach - and his team - immediately of that fact.

*and of course relay all of this to my partners

Last edited by T14; Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 04:58pm.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

If the situation developed as the OP described, I would also warn the HC to get control of his bench. The AssCoach gave his team an unwarranted advantage by trying to trick the officials into stopping the clock/play before the other team has a chance to tie up the girl. This is unsporting behvior.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 10:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
If the situation developed as the OP described, I would also warn the HC to get control of his bench. The AssCoach gave his team an unwarranted advantage by trying to trick the officials into stopping the clock/play before the other team has a chance to tie up the girl. This is unsporting behvior.
I'm not so sure. They could easily have been talking to the player on the court instructing her to call timeout. To me, that's morel likely what happened. There's no rule against them telling a player to call timeout, even for the bench. ACs call out plays all the time.

I'm don't know about warning the bench in a situation where I screwed up like this.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To me, that's morel likely what happened.
Morel support?

Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

This made me think about a sit from last Sunday. HC was a very petite, lovely woman with a very, very soft voice. Late in the game (closely contested) she was trying to request time out, but frankly neither I nor my partner could hear her above the crowd and finally her male assistant got my attention by yelling time out. Since I saw the HC standing next to him and she affirmed the request by nodding her head I granted the time out. Thought everything was fine, but the opposing HC runs over and says "HE can't request time out". Told him what I saw, but even after the game he was still insisting that we erred in granting the time out. Should this be handled differently? Frankly in almost any gym I don't see her being heard when the crowd gets into it. I thought it kind of petty for the opposing HC to complain and then not let it go.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
This made me think about a sit from last Sunday. HC was a very petite, lovely woman with a very, very soft voice. Late in the game (closely contested) she was trying to request time out, but frankly neither I nor my partner could hear her above the crowd and finally her male assistant got my attention by yelling time out. Since I saw the HC standing next to him and she affirmed the request by nodding her head I granted the time out. Thought everything was fine, but the opposing HC runs over and says "HE can't request time out". Told him what I saw, but even after the game he was still insisting that we erred in granting the time out. Should this be handled differently? Frankly in almost any gym I don't see her being heard when the crowd gets into it. I thought it kind of petty for the opposing HC to complain and then not let it go.
T the opposing HC for leaving his bench area to attempt to influence an official's decision; or (just thought) charge him a TO for a failed attempt at correcting an error (2-10). Yes, it was petty, and if he doesn't let it go, he's getting a T from me.

What was he doing talking to you after the game?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
T the opposing HC for leaving his bench area to attempt to influence an official's decision; or (just thought) charge him a TO for a failed attempt at correcting an error (2-10). Yes, it was petty, and if he doesn't let it go, he's getting a T from me.

What was he doing talking to you after the game?
In this league local school buildings are used on weekends. Typically the janitor in the school opens the gym and whatever hallway leads to the mens/womens rooms. Officials usually end up leaving a gym bag with their belongings somewhere near the table. Other than emergency doors, it's one way in and one way out. Also we're usually doing multiple games in the same gym so unless it's the last game and you can bolt out of there you are going to have some discussion. Usually I don't mind, it's the 80/20 rule. 80% of the coaches shake your hand, say thank you and set a good example for their teams. The others, well not so much, you learn to make yourself scarce somehow.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like to think of it as; We can only grant a timeout requested by a player/HC. I do not think it is against the TO rules for someone else to request a TO, we just can't grant it. Once we confrim that the HC wants a TO, grant it.

The only way I can see penalizing an AC/bench player for requesting a TO, is if I determined it was unsporting and could apply 10-4. Which in most cases would be a stretch for me.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed, although I don't like the idea of allowing them to benefit and not get charged the TO even if he does insist he didn't call it.

If granted a time-out based on thinking it was him and it was someone on the bench he is eating the time-out. What would make this interesting is if he didn't have any left. Anyone?

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
If granted a time-out based on thinking it was him and it was someone on the bench he is eating the time-out. What would make this interesting is if he didn't have any left. Anyone?
Already discussed in this thread. If I grant a timeout thinking it's the HC and it's not, and he doesn't want it, I'm eating crow and moving on with the game.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There is more than one way for a HC to request a T-O. You used non-verbals and judgement to determine that the HC had requested a T-O. I see no problem with it as long as you can explain it. And you explained it. Handled appropriately IMO.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I had a G Fr/JV DH a couple of weeks ago with the previously mentioned in another thread hottest coach in Cleveland. Very soft spoken lady. Her partner is a very imposing 6'5" guy with who could replace James Earl Jones on the "This Is CNN" voice over.

She wanted a timeout. No one could hear her. AssCoach/bodyguard yells time out. I look over, and she is making the T sign. Time out granted. I went over to her after the TO was over and advised her, since her voice doesn't carry that its ok to have her Assistant Coach yell it, but to be sure she does make that sign everytime, as she is the only one allowed to call timoeouts from the bench.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me