The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I'd like some feedback on how to handle an excess timeout situation ... Team A called their final timeout with about a minute left in the game (HSV). I knew it was the final TO, but could not get the head coach's attention, so I let the assistant know it was their final one.

Close ballgame ... Team A scores to cut Team B's lead to 3 points with about 30 seconds left. I am old L on Team A's bench side. Before Team B gets the ball for the inbound play, Team A's head coach (and the rest of the bench) is hollering for a timeout. I try to tell the coach that they do not have one left ... in the meantime, my partner grants the timeout request from new L. We met briefly and his logic was we would get in more trouble by "ignoring" their request.

So we allow the timeout, charge the technical, Team B makes the two free throws and goes up by 5 then gets the ball back, game-set-match. Team A (visitors) coach jumps in the face of their own scorekeeper for not letting him know they were out of TO's.

We did not have much time to discuss it because we only had the short interval between the made basket and Team B inbounding the ball, so I could not "make sure" Team A wanted the excess TO. In that situation, I doubt they would have wanted one.

My question is how far do you go trying to not hear a coach/player calling an excessive timeout?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

You did what you could. You let the bench know. I am glad he jumped his book and not you.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rpwall

My question is how far do you go trying to not hear a coach/player calling an excessive timeout?
rpwall,
As long as my partners and I know how many TO's are remaining, so that we know what to expect from the benches, then I'm good.
If a TO is requested, I'll grant it immediately.
Worrying about excessive YO's is someone else's job.

I think you went beyond your allowable duties and almost created a disadvantage for Team B, which I know was not your intention.
mick
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up Give it to 'em!

Coach wants his TO, then give it to him. Then, assess the T that goes with it. It may be okay to "not quite hear" the request the fist time, but if he continues, give it to him. It's not your fault that the assistant (or his book) didn't bother to help the head coach!

You could have said something like, "Coach, team B already had the ball at their disposal to throw it in. Therefore, I couldn't grant you the TO, and besides, you don't have any left."

Then listen to him THANK YOU profusely for missing the call!!
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 11:35am
Suppref

Let him have it....

My take on this is each team "has" 3 full and 2 30 second time outs, but they can "take" as many as they want after that for the penalty. I beleive that we do them a courtesy of letting them know how many they have left. After that it's up to them.

Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 02:12pm
Administrator

First: NFHS R2-S11-A6/NCAA R2-S11-A6 states that the Timer through an official shall notify the team and its head coach that it is has taken its last allowable time-out.

Second: NFHS R5-S12-A2/NCAA R5-S12-A1 states that a team may request time-outs in excess of it allotted number and the request shall be granted. The penalty is an technical foul charged to the team. (Under NCAA rules it is considered an indirect technical foul even though it is charged to the team and not an indiviual.)

You said that the head coach was not cooperative when you tried to inform him that he had used up all of his allotted time-outs. You let his assistant know, so don't lose any sleep over that part. But you cannot tell a team that they cannot have an excess time-out. If they want the time-out they are entitled to it but there is a penalty to be paid.

Just ask Chris Weber.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
You did what you could. You let the bench know. I am glad he jumped his book and not you.
Please warn me if I'm doing book at a game that you're officiating.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Technicals to Bonus?

In response to this post, does the technical foul for calling excessive TO's go toward the bonus?
Also, does any Technical fouls called on the Coach go toward the Bonus?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
... But you cannot tell a team that they cannot have an excess time-out....
I hear you, I was just trying to give the coach a chance to retract his request.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Technicals to Bonus?

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
In response to this post, does the technical foul for calling excessive TO's go toward the bonus?
Also, does any Technical fouls called on the Coach go toward the Bonus?
Yes and Yes. (Fed rules)
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I had a clinician at a camp tell me once that we, as officials, "are not in the time out business." That means that we grant them as requested and that is all. We may check the book for our own knowledge, but we never tell a coach how many they have left. If we get wrong information and then pass that wrong information along, we are the bad guys.

If a coach ever asks me about TO's, I always refer him to the home scorekeeper. If the scorekeeper does his job, the coach will have all the info he needs. If they request a TO they do not have, I just give it to them.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Kinghorn
I had a clinician at a camp tell me once that we, as officials, "are not in the time out business." That means that we grant them as requested and that is all. We may check the book for our own knowledge, but we never tell a coach how many they have left. If we get wrong information and then pass that wrong information along, we are the bad guys.

If a coach ever asks me about TO's, I always refer him to the home scorekeeper. If the scorekeeper does his job, the coach will have all the info he needs. If they request a TO they do not have, I just give it to them.
I guess I always considered this a part of game management or preventative officiating. Checking with the official scorekeeper on time-outs and letting coaches know as the game winds down is something I've always done. Is the consensus here that we should not do this?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 06:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
I guess I always considered this a part of game management or preventative officiating. Checking with the official scorekeeper on time-outs and letting coaches know as the game winds down is something I've always done. Is the consensus here that we should not do this?
I only do what the rule requires me to do - notify the coach when he has no timeouts left. The more you notify him during the game, the more chances you have to be wrong.

Of course, you would only be wrong based on information given to you by the scorer.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds to me that the rule cited by Mark D. was not followed. He notified the assistant, and the rules specify team and head coach - not the bench or an assistant. I can't believe that, before putting ball at disposal after last TO the ref had no opportunity to notify the head coach.

I don't have my book at hand, but this begs a few questions. What is the call if no official notice is given? Does the technical foul rule for excessive timeouts supercede the rule that notification be given? Should they get a freebie since the initial rule on the last TO was not followed?

Think about the rule on notification prior to end of halftime. If no notification is given, what is the call when the team does not show up on time? This seems to parallel that situation.

I can see this being no T because of failure to give proper notice to the coach, with heartfelt apologies to the opponents.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Just ask Chris Weber.
My all-time favorite time-out!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith