The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Hey everyone,

I have two timeout situations that occurred this past weekend. Just throw your two cents in. Thanks.

1st) Boys 5-6th grade game. 3rd period – 4 seconds left. Coach A is down by 8 and calls timeout… I blow the whistle, signal time out and then hear the horn… I reset the clock to 3 seconds (where I saw it when I blew the whistle) and found out coach A had no timeouts left… Tech. Foul – 3 seconds – end of quarter…(Table told us at the half he had 1 left, then they found out they made a mistake)

2nd) Girls 5-6th grade game. 2nd OT – Approx. 2 mins left - I’m the lead… I think I hear “timeout” then look at the coach… Nothing. After about 30 seconds, I notice my partner “wacked” the coach with a T for coming onto the middle of the court screaming in his face “TIME OUT!!!”… Awarded the T, and the timeout – they lost by 4.

Tips comments concerns? Thanks
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

looks like you had a bad weekend!

Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Pat, I don't see that there was anything you could've done differently in either situation. Don't worry about them. One of the things that we stressed to coaches/AD's in the preseason was that officials MUST verify that the TO was requested by the head coach. If the head coach doesn't catch the official's eye, tough luck. If he does catch the official's eye, but doesn't have any TO's left, tough luck.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

if everyone in this case was

under the impression that the coach had 1 timeout and he didnt then just bring the players back and play on -- i dont think i would T the coach for the book telling him he had one then when he called it saying oops he didnt -- just bring all the players back on and play on.

in second stitch you hear timeout and look over and see nothing -- just look at the coach with the "what do you want look" and if he doesnt signal again then play on.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

1)unless I read this wrong or missed something why did 3 seconds go off when shooting the tech?
2)you did nothing wrong. perhaps the coach initially looked at your partner for the t.o. but they didn't respond
sh!t happens sometimes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Ok... A few clarifications...

In Sit 1 - The table told us they had one left so I had no hesitation in granting the time out for the coach. When I blew the whistle I saw something like 3.2 left on the clock... So, I placed 3 back on. After we shot the Tech... They didnt score again - but we did play the last 3 seconds of the 3rd period...

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:43pm
In Memoriam

Re: if everyone in this case was

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
under the impression that the coach had 1 timeout and he didnt then just bring the players back and play on -- i dont think i would T the coach for the book telling him he had one then when he called it saying oops he didnt -- just bring all the players back on and play on.

In a 5th-6th grade kids game where the table screwed up, I kinda agree with that. There's no rules justification to do so, but......

In a high school game, naw.......
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: if everyone in this case was

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

In a 5th-6th grade kids game where the table screwed up, I kinda agree with that. There's no rules justification to do so, but......

In a high school game, naw.......
Really?

If the table screws up you're going to penalize the coach?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

so

official book can just say "yeah sure you have 1" -- to the visitor coach

coach calls timeout and then the book says "no he doesnt"

you go "tweet -- T"

sounds like the home team just got a huge advantage.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:20pm
In Memoriam

Re: so

Quote:
official book can just say "yeah sure you have 1" -- to the visitor coach

coach calls timeout and then the book says "no he doesnt"

you go "tweet -- T"

sounds like the home team just got a huge advantage.
Yup, but what rule would allow us to do anything about it after the fact?

Was it a bookkeeping mistake per se that could be corrected? Nope, the scorebook had the correct number of TO's recorded.

It's the teams responsibility to track their own TO's. No coach, head or assistant, is allowed to go to the scorer's table at any time anyway to check on TO's left. That's a "T" if they do. If the visiting coach wanted info on # of TO's, he has to send a manager or statistician to the table to get it. He also has the option of having a visiting scorer at the table to keep the info straight. If somehow he gets the wrong info....well....it's tough....but doodoo happens.

As I said, depending on the situation, I'd straighten it out without getting into a "T" if I could- even in high school under some circumstances. But I can also envision certain situations where that wouldn't be an option imo.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 28th, 2006 at 05:22 PM]
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

i agree

with you -- try and avoid the T -- but of course there are always exceptions to the rule.