The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA injured player rule

Okay, need some help here from someone who knows NCAA rules.

Watching a D1 game live today. V11 drives to the basket and is fouled by H44 while attempting a shot. (Lead called it, but Trail came in with the intentional....it was definitely a foul but the intentional part was very questionable)

Anyway, V11 had to leave the game. With the new NCAA rule this year with the opposing coach picking the FT shooter when an injury happens, is this a situation where the Home coach would pick the shooter or not? What are the situations when the opposing coach does get to pick the shooter?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What are the situations when the opposing coach does get to pick the shooter?
It doesn't apply to intentional or flagrant fouls.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

If the fouled player is unable to continue, the coach from the team who committed the foul will pick the shooter from the 4 remaining players on the floor, provided it is not an intentional or flagrant foul. If the foul is ruled flagrant or intentional, the coach from the team whose player was fouled will pick the shooter from any team member.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Okay, need some help here from someone who knows NCAA rules.

Watching a D1 game live today. V11 drives to the basket and is fouled by H44 while attempting a shot. (Lead called it, but Trail came in with the intentional....it was definitely a foul but the intentional part was very questionable)
I saw that play(St. Louis@Richmond?). When the foul occurred I immediately thought intentional/excessive contact was a possibility. When the trail came in with "crossed arms" I was glad my instincts were validated.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
If the fouled player is unable to continue, the coach from the team who committed the foul will pick the shooter from the 4 remaining players on the floor, provided it is not an intentional or flagrant foul. If the foul is ruled flagrant or intentional, the coach from the team whose player was fouled will pick the shooter from any team member.
Was this put in by the NCAA so a team can't fake an injury in a crucial moment of the game to allow their best player to shoot the FT and then the "injured" player would miraculously recover within the next minute or two? My initial thought was "that's a dumb for an injured player" but thought about it a little more. It is a good idea to do this, forcing the coach to take a time out if he wants the injured player to shoot the FTs instead of having an equal or better FT shooter take the line.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Was this put in by the NCAA so a team can't fake an injury in a crucial moment of the game to allow their best player to shoot the FT and then the "injured" player would miraculously recover within the next minute or two? My initial thought was "that's a dumb for an injured player" but thought about it a little more. It is a good idea to do this, forcing the coach to take a time out if he wants the injured player to shoot the FTs instead of having an equal or better FT shooter take the line.
Yes, its called the whiny Marquette rule.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
What do you think the chances are for the NFHS (and other associations) to adopt something like this?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What do you think the chances are for the NFHS (and other associations) to adopt something like this?
Hopefully nil.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I saw that play(St. Louis@Richmond?). When the foul occurred I immediately thought intentional/excessive contact was a possibility. When the trail came in with "crossed arms" I was glad my instincts were validated.
No, it was actually Northern Iowa at Missouri State.

Here is the video. It's toward the end and they replay it during the interview. Yes, I know that they keep using the term "flagrant"....

Video : Panthers Nip Missouri State 55-54
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No, it was actually Northern Iowa at Missouri State.

Here is the video. It's toward the end and they replay it during the interview. Yes, I know that they keep using the term "flagrant"....

Video : Panthers Nip Missouri State 55-54
Oh...well that is an easy "excessive contact" foul...perfect call.

Not sure how you consider it "questionable".
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Oh...well that is an easy "excessive contact" foul...perfect call.

Not sure how you consider it "questionable".
Look at it in this video about 10 seconds in.

YouTube - Northern Iowa at Misouri State mens basketball, Jan. 30

The only part of the defender that touches the shooter is his left arm, which makes contact with the shooter's arm and the ball. The fall looked nasty, but it wasn't because of any excessive contact.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
The new rule change stems from the 2nd round NCAA tournament game between Missouri and Marquette played at Boise, ID. The game was tied with about five seconds left when a Missouri player was fouled and stayed down. Missouri put in a sub from the bench, who statistically was a worse FT shooter than the fouled player, and he made both. The problem was that Missouri then sent the fouled player to the table to check back in following the 2nd FT! (The officials correctly denied his re-entry at this time.) This made the situation look suspicious.

I attended this game and had the chance to speak with one of the officials from it at a camp this past summer. He welcomed the rule change because it takes the pressure off the officials. He stated that there was no way that an official should be put in the position to have to determine if the player really is injured and can't attempt the FTs.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look at it in this video about 10 seconds in.

YouTube - Northern Iowa at Misouri State mens basketball, Jan. 30

The only part of the defender that touches the shooter is his left arm, which makes contact with the shooter's arm and the ball. The fall looked nasty, but it wasn't because of any excessive contact.
There is absolutely no way from that video that you can say it wasn't excessive contact.

It looked like a clothesline on an airborne player to me. I have no problem with the intentional.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
There is absolutely no way from that video that you can say it wasn't excessive contact.

It looked like a clothesline on an airborne player to me. I have no problem with the intentional.
Why? After watching it live and seeing that video, I don't see how the Trail could come and get that. The Lead had a much better look at the defender's left arm (That one that actually made contact), and the right arm didn't touch the shooter. I realize the drive started in the Trail's area, but I thought he was reaching quite a bit. (For full disclosure, I am a fan of the home team)