The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question Clarification on NCAA Player Control rule

Going through my new NCAA books (not new for everyone, just for me... if you recall starting a league soon using NCAA rules).

4-15-1 states that a play shall be in control when holding a live ball or dribbling a live ball while inbounds.

It therefore goes to reason (and is I think backed up by the table in the back w/ rules differences; they are just brief hah)...

Team B is in the bonus. A1 has the ball. If A1 goes for a shot, releases the ball (thus is an airborne shooter) and crashes into B1 who has mainted LGB, etc... the basket 1) goes in 2) does not go in.

I THINK I am reading that in 2, B1 would go shoot the bonus free throw(s). Is that right? Because it can't be a player control?

Then what happens in 1? Does the basket count AND B shoots the bonus? Because 6-6-1 states that a live ball shall not become dead until the try in flight ends.

Help

Thanks
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Yes in Men's. No in women's which is same as NFHS.

Last edited by refguy; Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 03:24pm.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post

It therefore goes to reason (and is I think backed up by the table in the back w/ rules differences; they are just brief hah)...

Team B is in the bonus. A1 has the ball. If A1 goes for a shot, releases the ball (thus is an airborne shooter) and crashes into B1 who has mainted LGB, etc... the basket 1) goes in 2) does not go in.

I THINK I am reading that in 2, B1 would go shoot the bonus free throw(s). Is that right? Because it can't be a player control?

Then what happens in 1? Does the basket count AND B shoots the bonus? Because 6-6-1 states that a live ball shall not become dead until the try in flight ends.

Help

Thanks

I saw this play down in the KC opening weekend games (possibly one of the Memphis games, but admittedly, 6 games in 2 days, lots of basketball and beverages, I don't remember for sure). The crowd around me was somewhat confused.