The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Some questions that I have been wanting answered and some questions from last nights varsity girl game:

What do you all think about during the fifteen minutes between walking on the floor and going through the anthem and stuff (besides doing captain meeting, checking for illegal uniforms, checking book, counting number of players, finding the flag, and looking for the hot girl in the stands--because I knew everyone was going to say that)?

I get so bored and I want to do things that will help me be focused and most prepared to start the game.

Situations from last night: girl gets hit and will be shooting bonus, she appears to be a bit shaken up although it did not look like much of a hit; coach comes out after couple seconds and then they substitute their best player to shoot the free throws; meanwhile player now looks fine

This has probably been discussed before but do we have any discretion to say "she looks alright now coach, she can shoot"; seems like so much room for Coach to abuse the rule, if your player acts at all hurt and is not great free throw shooter, just go out and get her

Second scenario: held ball, possession to blue; blue trying to bring ball in bounds, blue sets illegal screen before throw in completed; green ball; does possession arrow change or would blue still get next held ball; I believe blue would get it again although I have not relooked it up; follow up question: why? why have the rule that makes it so tricky, why not just say they set an illegal screen and so they blew their chance to have the alternating possession, why this technicality that the throw in must be completed or the alternating possession does not change?

Thanks for all input
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

To your first question (other things to watch during that long interval before the game). Look for court irregularities (things hanging from the ceiling, supports or straps from the backboard that the ball might hit). Go talk to the cheerleaders to make sure they know how much room the crew will need during the game. Watch what the teams are practicing because it's often a clue as to what they will run when the game starts (if the 6'8" center is only practicing 3-pointers, he might not be an inside presence). And like you already mentioned, find the cutest mom in the stands. See if there are marked coaches boxes. Is there an X on the floor for subs? Are the team's chairs too close to the floor? Are the chairs set up too close to the scorer's table such that the coach is already out of the coaching box when he stands up? There are many things to do to keep your mind occupied.

To your second question. If the player seemed shook up, let the coach sub. We're looking for trouble when we start trying to diagnose the severity of an apparent injury.

Z
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

What do I think about? Player count, properly equipped, dunking, my IRA investments, what kind of dog will win "best in the show" this year ...

When I have a player shaken up, I will ask the player if he/she can continue. If not, I will beckon the coach. If the coach comes out on the floor without me calling for them, then we have a T situation.

The illegal screen is a foul. Does AP arrow change when a foul is called on a throw-in? No. You have to judge if the throw-in completed before the foul or not. If the throw-in completed before the foul, arrow gets changed, if the throw-in did not complete, the arrow stays the same.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
Rule 3.3.5

A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/OR comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time out is requested by and granted to his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the timeout.

Case book Play 3.3.5 (b) also backs this up.

It's not a "t" if a coach enters the court to tend to an apparent injured player without being beckoned on by an official.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IAABO_Ref

It's not a "t" if a coach enters the court to tend to an apparent injured player without being beckoned on by an official.
10-4-2 begs to differ.

Would I call a T on a coach coming on court to tend to an injured player? I never have. However, if I suspect the coach of shenanagans of having the opportunity of substituting the "best foul shooter" by coming on court - I might consider it.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
The player looked shaken-up. You are passing medical judgment on whether or not a player should continue play. ItÂ’s simply not your job. Also you must be a better official then I if you know who this coach is going to sub for that player and not take a TO.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:03am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blewthat
Some questions that I have been wanting answered and some questions from last nights varsity girl game:

What do you all think about during the fifteen minutes between walking on the floor and going through the anthem and stuff (besides doing captain meeting, checking for illegal uniforms, checking book, counting number of players, finding the flag, and looking for the hot girl in the stands--because I knew everyone was going to say that)?

I get so bored and I want to do things that will help me be focused and most prepared to start the game.

Situations from last night: girl gets hit and will be shooting bonus, she appears to be a bit shaken up although it did not look like much of a hit; coach comes out after couple seconds and then they substitute their best player to shoot the free throws; meanwhile player now looks fine

This has probably been discussed before but do we have any discretion to say "she looks alright now coach, she can shoot"; seems like so much room for Coach to abuse the rule, if your player acts at all hurt and is not great free throw shooter, just go out and get her

Second scenario: held ball, possession to blue; blue trying to bring ball in bounds, blue sets illegal screen before throw in completed; green ball; does possession arrow change or would blue still get next held ball; I believe blue would get it again although I have not relooked it up; follow up question: why? why have the rule that makes it so tricky, why not just say they set an illegal screen and so they blew their chance to have the alternating possession, why this technicality that the throw in must be completed or the alternating possession does not change?

Thanks for all input

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, the officials had to be on the court for H.S. games thirty (yes I said thirty) minutes before tip-off. Of course we still have to be out there thirty minutes before tip-off for men's college games.

My thoughts are why are they not playing the only song that should be played at basketball games: Sweet Georgia Brown.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 02:55 AM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio