The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hypothetical situation, but it happens often enough: Rebounding action; B5 twists his ankle and falls to the ground. A5 secures the rebound and outlets to A1 who dribbles quickly toward the frontcourt. We now have a 5-on-4 situation.

If B5 is seriously hurt, we can stop the play immediately. But if he doesn't seem seriously hurt, when do we stop the play?

In HS, we stop the play when Team A moves away from the basket, or as soon as team control is lost (including a try for goal).

But in NCAA, it says to stop play when Team A "whithholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position". (10-9-8a)

I'm pretty sure that means that if A1 shoots and misses, but A5 is in position to tip the ball back up, we allow the following action (tip/rebound). I thought there was an AR that explained that point, but it's not in the book, and not in any book back to '02-'03.

Was this issued in a bulletin at some point? If so, does anybody have the text or a link?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 01:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck, it was in a bulletinn about 2 years ago (I think, the years are kinda starting to run together)...the gist of it was that you don't stop play until Team A is no longer attempting to score...so the rebounding/tip activity is allowed to continue...

Had a play just like this last Friday...B2 drives in, lands awkwardly (but not fouled) and goes down in key as A5 rebounds and outlets - off to the races. A1 shoots, misses, A4 grabs rebound and passes it out to point guard at top of key - whistle, stop play, let coach attend injured player, and then gave ball back to A for throw-in...
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Chuck, it was in a bulletinn about 2 years ago (I think, the years are kinda starting to run together)...the gist of it was that you don't stop play until Team A is no longer attempting to score...so the rebounding/tip activity is allowed to continue...

Had a play just like this last Friday...B2 drives in, lands awkwardly (but not fouled) and goes down in key as A5 rebounds and outlets - off to the races. A1 shoots, misses, A4 grabs rebound and passes it out to point guard at top of key - whistle, stop play, let coach attend injured player, and then gave ball back to A for throw-in...
Rocky, This was a topic a few weeks ago because it happend on a Friday game and a Saturday game in the same week that was being observed. A1 goes down and then a fast break the other way, team "B" missed first shot an then got the rebound and immediately went back up for the shot. Both crews were told they should have blown the whistle when the rebound was secured. They "R" on one of the games was going to e-mail her 10-9-8a. I dont know if he ever did or what the outcome was though.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Is there a place to view the old bulletins? Are they on ncaa.org? I looked on my college association's website, but didn't see it.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 01:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck - I believe they are archived at the ncaa.champadmin.whatevertherestofitis website...try checking there. Like I said, it was a few years back (could have been early 80's for as good as my memory is)...

Scott - hopefully whoever the R was didn't email "her" the rule. That probably wouldn't go over too well...a phone call with a "Hey, had a question about our post-game last weekend" would be much better (and not career suicide)... there's a reason why all us "veterans" tell the newer people to always nod and say "I understand"...
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Is there a place to view the old bulletins? Are they on ncaa.org? I looked on my college association's website, but didn't see it.
Chuck, try the new NCAA web site.

http://www.eofficials.com/

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 8th, 2005 at 01:20 PM]
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 01:37pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck - from Jan., 2000 bulletins:

Injured player down on court, play is continuing: How to handle:

If the injured player is bleeding profusely, has a compound fracture with bone sticking out, can not breath or is unconscious; stop the play immediately regardless of who has the ball. This is a situation where the safety of the injured player is more important.

If the injured player is down for reasons other than described above and the ball is being taken to the basket, do not stop the play until the basket is scored or the rebound is secured. We do not want to take away an imminent basket.

If the injured player is down for reasons other than described in #1 and the opponents are going toward the basket and pull the ball out to set up an offense; blow the whistle and stop the play for the injury.

The trail official should stay with the injured player for protection.

Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck - I believe they are archived at the ncaa.champadmin.whatevertherestofitis website...try checking there. Like I said, it was a few years back (could have been early 80's for as good as my memory is)...

Scott - hopefully whoever the R was didn't email "her" the rule. That probably wouldn't go over too well...a phone call with a "Hey, had a question about our post-game last weekend" would be much better (and not career suicide)... there's a reason why all us "veterans" tell the newer people to always nod and say "I understand"...
It was a veteran official. They discussed it and she told him to e-mail her the rules reference because they disagreed on the point. He could get away with it a lot better than I could have. I would have done what you suggested, nod & "I understand" .......
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 05:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
Quote:

It was a veteran official. They discussed it and she told him to e-mail her the rules reference because they disagreed on the point. He could get away with it a lot better than I could have. I would have done what you suggested, nod & "I understand" .......
Wow...he got off easy then. Must bo one of those REALLY veteran guys from Seattle!