The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Has anybody heard any follow-up about the Louisville game in which the court was so slippery that the officials told both coaches that they would not call travelling for sliding?

I'm just wondering if the officials were given a "good job" for handling the situation with common sense or if they were disciplined for setting aside rules and allowing the game to be played under those conditions.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Why would the officials be disciplined? I am sure there was a commissioner and/or representative of the NIT observing and phone calls went out before the decision was made whether to play or suspend the game. I would venture to guess that the officials didn't independently decide whether to play or to suspend the game by themselves. Probably at some media timeout the ultimate decision was made by the coaches and/or athletic directors of the teams and the NIT tournament representatives.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Why would the officials be disciplined?
I agree that the officials did not make the decision to play the game themselves. However, it was entirely the officials' collective judgment NOT to enforce travelling rules. This might be cause for discipline. I don't know. I'm just asking.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Oh ok, I understand now. I was thought you were saying about whether to suspend the game due to the conditions. I totally misunderstood your post. Now, that question, I cannot answer, but I will try and see what I can find out. I would be interested to know that as well.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 09:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Why would the officials be disciplined?
I agree that the officials did not make the decision to play the game themselves. However, it was entirely the officials' collective judgment NOT to enforce travelling rules. This might be cause for discipline. I don't know. I'm just asking.

Chuck

I think the officials did the logical and correc thing. How many times have we officiated a game, especially early in our careers (when we are officiating every level of game we can schedule) where we are on a court in a church or community recreation center where the court surface is somewhat less than desirable and the players, as well as you and your partner are slip sliding away. Logic tells us that to penalize the players for an inadequate playing surface is not fair nor good for the game. To further illustrate my point, for the last two years, our 12 yr old's Toledo P&R team has played at a communtity recreation center with a court that a ice hockey game could be played on. The officials that the City of Toledo hires are not registered officials (not a good sign of things to come), and these officials called traveling everytime a poor player tried to stop and and his feet slid. After one game I asked them why they called traveling, their response was because it was traveling. When questioned about the floor surface, their response was the players had to live with their calls. Well, that is both a dad and an official venting a little bit there.

But getting back on focus here, I was more shocked that the court for the NIT game was in such poor condition, and why the game was played in the first place. The officials should be commended for doing the logical thing.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

logic=common sense?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, would it kill you to type the words "Common Sense"? I dare you, i double dare you, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think this calls for a TRIPLE DOG DARE!
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 03:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
I think this calls for a TRIPLE DOG DARE!
Mark will be back shortly.He's gone to find that bee for his bonnet.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 03:43pm
Administrator

From Webster's New World Dictionary of American English, Third College Edition (1988):

logic: (1) the science of correct reasoning; science which describes relationships among propositions in terms of implication, contradiction, contartiety, conversion; (3) correct reasoning; valid induction or deduction; (4) way of reasoning, whether correct or incorrec; (5) the systerm of principles underlying any art or science; (6) necessary connection or outcome, as through the working of cause and effect.

common: (3) widely existing; general; prevalent [common knowledge].

common sense: ordinary good sense or sound practical judgement.

sense: (6a) the ability to think or reason soundly; normal intelligence and judgment, often as reflected in behavior; (6b) soundness of judgment or reasoning; (6c) something wise, sound, or reasonable; (8) the general opinion, sentiment, or attitude of a group.

I will take logic over common sense everytime. Thank you.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 03:50pm
Esteemed Participant

From the Roget's Thesaurus:
logic: GOOD SENSE, sound judgement, organized reasoning, chain of thought, etc.

logical: reasonable, most likely, SENSIBLE...

Sounds like logic and common sense are pretty much the same thing...

Can one choose something over itself???
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

To get back on subject here, I don't know if you all have heard about why the court was in such terrible shape so I'll tell you. I'm from Louisville.

The "Champions on Ice" ice skating exhibition was scheduled for two days after this game so the court was laid on top of an ice rink. On top of that, we were in the midst of a two day rain system and it was incredibly humid. You could feel the moisture in the air. The ice underneath the court was causing the condensation on the court.

Pitino was not upset with the officials in the least bit with regard to that call late in the game. He said in his press conference that the officials had told them how they were going to handle violations caused by the floor and he thought they were doing the right thing.

FYI, U of L has been making some noise about getting their own arena and U of L personnel met with the KY State Fair Board (owners of Freedom Hall) the next day to discuss the situation. I think they are going to try to use this as leverage in future negotiations with the City and State in their attempt to get their own arena.