LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:45am
TODO: creative title here

Timeout, inadvertent whistle situation

Happened to me in a game last night:

I'm the lead.
H makes a two-point shot.
V1 inbounds the ball to V2.
V HC requests a timeout. My partner glances at the coach, acknowledges the timeout request. At the same instant, H3 steals the ball from V2.
Partner blows his whistle for V's timeout, after the ball is clearly in H3's possession.

We end up not granting V's timeout request, and grant H a throw-in.

Two questions:
1) Did we screw this up?
2) After the inadvertent whistle, could V have been granted a timeout before H's throw-in?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Why are you thinking of this as an IW? I think you guys kicked this one big time.

Remember that, in essence, it doesn't matter when you blow the whistle (it may look that way to the crowd and the other coach, but it doesn't matter). It matters when the timeout is requested.

If the coach requests the timeout when his team is in possession of the ball, you grant him the timeout, regardless of what happens inbetween the time you acknowledge his request and you put air in the whistle.

Just make sure that interval is as short as you can make it.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Fiasco. Grant the TO. You'll save yourself alot of hassle.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

to answer the rest

I agree with the posts above. Doesn't matter when it is granted it matters when it was requested....To answer the rest of the question, yes. Either team may be granted a timeout during a dead ball. So if you actually had had an IW then a timeout can be granted.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Two questions:
1) Did we screw this up?
2) After the inadvertent whistle, could V have been granted a timeout before H's throw-in?
1) Yes, as stated by previous posters.
2) Could have and should have.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm the lead.
V HC requests a timeout. My partner glances at the coach, acknowledges the timeout request. At the same instant, H3 steals the ball from V2.
Partner blows his whistle for V's timeout, after the ball is clearly in H3's possession.

Two questions:
1) Did we screw this up?
I've had this exact thing happen, grant the time out, tell the Hcoach that you saw the request before the steal and that's it. H coach of course is not going to like it, but I expect that. V gets ball after time out.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I'm the lead.

Two questions:
1) Did we screw this up?
Once he blew the whistle and killed the play the TO is granted. I'll leave who should get the ball to your collective judgement. But not granting the time-out was incorrect.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:15am

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the TO was requested before the ball was stolen or not... I was on the the endline.

So if the TO request happens before the steal, call the TO.

If the TO request happens AFTER the steal and my partner blows his whistle for the TO, then we have an IW situation, correct?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the TO was requested before the ball was stolen or not... I was on the the endline.

If the TO request happens AFTER the steal and my partner blows his whistle for the TO, then we have an IW situation, correct?
You have not read all the responses if your are still asking this question.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:17pm

Yep, I missed a couple of responses while I was typing my first reply. (*facepalm*)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No

5.8.3 situation E

A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official: or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out.

RULING:
In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted: once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped.

In (b), and accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)

Last edited by Clark Kent; Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:45pm.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Think Twice Coach.....

The other night, B15U Rec league. I'm T during foul shots.

A1 sinks last of two free-throws. As I move down the court to be the new L, B Coach says to me, "I want a timeout when the ball comes across half court."

"You got it coach."

As B1 dribbles to the Division Line he sees B2 along the end-line and throws a half-court pass to B2 about 10 feet from the basket. No one is between him and the basket......

TWEEEET! Time out, B!

I know the coaches intent was - as soon as his player crossed the division line under pressure, but..... he requested it and it was granted.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Three distinct events:
1. Coach requests time out.
2. Official grants time out.
3. Official signals time out by blowing whistle.

3 always happens after 2, though the time lag varies. If I find myself in a situation where I hit the whistle as a steal is in progress, I tell the aggrieved coach "I'd already granted the time out request, coach."

They hear the other coach's request, and they want that time out granted when their kid has the ball. I don't get much flak about it.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've noticed a serious amount of whining about this from "aggrieved" coaches the last couple of weeks. Loose ball situation, kid retrieves ball on the ground, coach quickly requests time, we grant it.

Coach either claims the ball was loose or tied up and we shouldn't have granted it.

Personally, I don't care and expect the whining, but so much focus on a second quarter possession makes no sense to me. Why waste the timeout? Why waste breath wanting to argue something like this?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I've noticed a serious amount of whining about this from "aggrieved" coaches the last couple of weeks. Loose ball situation, kid retrieves ball on the ground, coach quickly requests time, we grant it.

Coach either claims the ball was loose or tied up and we shouldn't have granted it.

Personally, I don't care and expect the whining, but so much focus on a second quarter possession makes no sense to me. Why waste the timeout? Why waste breath wanting to argue something like this?
Like when an NFL calls a time-out to avoid a DOG penalty on 3rd and 13?