The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

A Good Night

Things didn't start great this morning. I got an e-mail from my assignor saying that the G Fr game of my Fr/JV DH was cancelled. Grrrrrrr. I prefer $75 checks to $40 checks.

Get to the school late due to traffic. Same school I've been to four times since Christmas so the staff recognize me. AD tells me, relax. Visitors aren't here yet. So my partner and I sit and chat with the AD n the athletic offices. FIrst V referee shows up. "WTF are you guys doing sitting here?" Visitors not here yet. Sat around longer. Second V Official shows up. We continue to wait. AD is on the phone. Only thing we hear is "Well why are all the officials here?"

This school (notorious for this kind of crap) claimed they thought it was their home game. The AD is hot. We use the Arbiter. He says, "Is there anyone on your faculty that can read?" That got us a laugh. He wrote us each our contracted game check and I was home by 7:00pm. $40 for doing nothing and home in time to watch LeBron embarass the TWolves.

It started bad, but the day ended well.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Things didn't start great this morning. I got an e-mail from my assignor saying that the G Fr game of my Fr/JV DH was cancelled. Grrrrrrr. I prefer $75 checks to $40 checks.

Get to the school late due to traffic. Same school I've been to four times since Christmas so the staff recognize me. AD tells me, relax. Visitors aren't here yet. So my partner and I sit and chat with the AD n the athletic offices. FIrst V referee shows up. "WTF are you guys doing sitting here?" Visitors not here yet. Sat around longer. Second V Official shows up. We continue to wait. AD is on the phone. Only thing we hear is "Well why are all the officials here?"

This school (notorious for this kind of crap) claimed they thought it was their home game. The AD is hot. We use the Arbiter. He says, "Is there anyone on your faculty that can read?" That got us a laugh. He wrote us each our contracted game check and I was home by 7:00pm. $40 for doing nothing and home in time to watch LeBron embarass the TWolves.

It started bad, but the day ended well.
Best no-game night in my opinion!

Had a tripleheader night once where the visiting team knew they were away, but their AD forgot to schedule a bus for his team's travel that night, so we got delayed about an hour because of it.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Worst part of the cancellation? The H Freshman coach is the Hottest Coach in the county. I know. I pick the winner of the award. When I first met my partner tonight, who had never worked that school before, I broke that news to him. Then while we were sitting in the office, she walked in. He almost fell out of his chair, poor young lovesick puppy. He said he was going to call the assignor and volunteer to do all their games for free.

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worst part of the cancellation? The H Freshman coach is the Hottest Coach in the county. I know. I pick the winner of the award. When I first met my partner tonight, who had never worked that school before, I broke that news to him. Then while we were sitting in the office, she walked in. He almost fell out of his chair, poor young lovesick puppy. He said he was going to call the assignor and volunteer to do all their games for free.
Damn, I guess it just went from best to so-and-so night. You still got to see her though, didn't you?

What was she wearing?

We have an assistant coach for a good school in this area that is pretty hot, probably the hottest of any coaches, H or C. I don't think she's that much older than me, she graduated from that school a few years before I graduated from mine, I think... And the other AC is pretty good looking too. That HC is lucky, I wish to be in his place haha.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Damn, I guess it just went from best to so-and-so night. You still got to see her though, didn't you?

What was she wearing?

We have an assistant coach for a good school in this area that is pretty hot, probably the hottest of any coaches, H or C. I don't think she's that much older than me, she graduated from that school a few years before I graduated from mine, I think... And the other AC is pretty good looking too. That HC is lucky, I wish to be in his place haha.

Saturday, she Requested a time out. My partner granted it and as he walked towards the table she bent over to pick up her clipboard and I thought my partner was going to forget where he was.

--- Me
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saturday, she Requested a time out. My partner granted it and as he walked towards the table she bent over to pick up her clipboard and I thought my partner was going to forget where he was.
Been there, actually forgot where I was for a few seconds
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I'd rather work a game than have it cancelled. But that's just me I guess. I suppose if you're doing it for the money, it would be a great night.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'd rather work a game than have it cancelled. But that's just me I guess. I suppose if you're doing it for the money, it would be a great night.
WOW! I'm sorry I don't meet your standards of motivation. I've been out of the house every night for the last three weeks except for Sundays and 1 Monday. I guess getting paid for a night off is immoral. I apologise. I will donate my check to Haiti, and go to confession.

--- Me
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's harsh, frankly.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Maybe harsh, but when a guy is irritated that a game is cacelled, not because the game is cancelled but because he will be getting a smaller check, then goes on to boast about getting paid for working no games, I tend to wonder about that guy's motivation. I think it's a fair response. If you're going to post, you need to expect differing reactions.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The money is nice. But if I was doing this for money, I would've burned out long ago. The guys that do it for money DO burnout.

If you are going to post on this website, expect different responses too.

Here's one:

Get off your freakin high horse.

--- Me
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Maybe harsh, but when a guy is irritated that a game is cacelled, not because the game is cancelled but because he will be getting a smaller check, then goes on to boast about getting paid for working no games, I tend to wonder about that guy's motivation. I think it's a fair response. If you're going to post, you need to expect differing reactions.
You have a right to your reaction, I just think it's harsh and not warranted; and I think you've imputed motives to him without sufficient evidence. That's just my opinion and reaction to your post.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
you have a right to your reaction, i just think it's harsh and not warranted; and i think you've imputed motives to him without sufficient evidence. That's just my opinion and reaction to your post.
+1
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Let me add too, that if you officiate the way you judged me, send me your state ID number so I can add you to my DO NOT PARTNER WITH list.

--- Me
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Get off your freakin high horse.
Little defensive, aren’t we?

I agree with Smitty in that I’d much rather ref than talk about reffing.
Closed Thread