The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Timeout

This is why I hate doing little kids tourneys. If something goofy is going to happen, it will happen in these tourneys. Here is the situation:

Tied ball game 35-35. Both teams have used their allotted timeouts for the game. Team A inbounds the ball in their BC and dribbles directly into a half court trap at the division line. The T is right on top of the play at the division line (away from the benches) and I am L on the endline (and have slid strong side). Over top of all the noise in the gym I hear "Timeout"! I look over to see the coach standing up as I hear "Timeout" again. My partner at the division line and I both whistle and grant the timeout.

The problem being..."timeout" was being yelled by a partner directly behind the coach...Opps. We were saved by the tourney rules though. Tourney rules states: "Coaches shall remained seated at all time (unless they are calling timeout or assisting an injured player). Penalty: Technical Foul"

Either way we have a technical. But lets say that rule is not in effect.

5.8.3 Sit E addresses a misunderstood coach (saying "Side out" instead "timeout") but what if a) a fan "requests" timeout or b) an assistant coach or player on the bench?

I believe I've read a case play or interpretation on this situation but of course I cannot find it. Of course most of us would rather not have the bench be able to grant timeout but we can't change that.

-Josh
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
This is why I hate doing little kids tourneys. If something goofy is going to happen, it will happen in these tourneys. Here is the situation:

Tied ball game 35-35. Both teams have used their allotted timeouts for the game. Team A inbounds the ball in their BC and dribbles directly into a half court trap at the division line. The T is right on top of the play at the division line (away from the benches) and I am L on the endline (and have slid strong side). Over top of all the noise in the gym I hear "Timeout"! I look over to see the coach standing up as I hear "Timeout" again. My partner at the division line and I both whistle and grant the timeout.

The problem being..."timeout" was being yelled by a partner directly behind the coach...Opps. We were saved by the tourney rules though. Tourney rules states: "Coaches shall remained seated at all time (unless they are calling timeout or assisting an injured player). Penalty: Technical Foul"

Either way we have a technical. But lets say that rule is not in effect.

5.8.3 Sit E addresses a misunderstood coach (saying "Side out" instead "timeout") but what if a) a fan "requests" timeout or b) an assistant coach or player on the bench?

I believe I've read a case play or interpretation on this situation but of course I cannot find it. Of course most of us would rather not have the bench be able to grant timeout but we can't change that.

-Josh
If the coach didn't want it, just resume play at point of interruption.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Game management vs. by the book....

Always, be patient with the whistle and verify that the coach is the one calling time out. I would look at him and make him say it again especially if you have informed him that he is out of time outs.

By rule, if you granted a time out, it must be taken.

By game management, coach did not call, you have a IW and go with POI which is the ball back to team with the ball. I would chose this and take the heat from the other coach. I would tell him that he would get the same break as the other guy.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Game management vs. by the book....

Always, be patient with the whistle and verify that the coach is the one calling time out. I would look at him and make him say it again especially if you have informed him that he is out of time outs.
Did this the other night with a jackass coach. The jackass really wanted a timeout.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

This is why I didn't like the rule change that allowed coaches to call the timeout during a live ball. I've probably had coaches mad at me because I didn't hear them make the request. I'd rather they be mad than me grant one that I wasn't 100% certain that it was requested.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
By rule, if you granted a time out, it must be taken.
Not if he doesn't request one. What you call good game management here is also the rule.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
This is why I didn't like the rule change that allowed coaches to call the timeout during a live ball.

(Almost) no one here likes the change.

It's not going away.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Tourney rules states: "Coaches shall remained seated at all time (unless they are calling timeout or assisting an injured player). Penalty: Technical Foul"
So it isn't legal for him to stand and clap after an outstanding play? I'll never understand why local know-nothings come along and try to change rules set by national organizations. All they had to do was not elect to use the coaching box rule.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 07:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
This is why I didn't like the rule change that allowed coaches to call the timeout during a live ball. I've probably had coaches mad at me because I didn't hear them make the request. I'd rather they be mad than me grant one that I wasn't 100% certain that it was requested.
I think that I know what you mean, but I just want to check. If I'm not mistaken, the NFHS rule change was from not allowing coaches to ever request a timeout, to allowing coaches to request a timeout when previously only players were allowed to request a timeout under the same circumstances (player holding or dribbling the ball, during a dead ball period). I don't believe that the NFHS allowed coaches to request a timeout, even during a dead ball, previous to the rule change?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)