The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Red tries to save the ball on my sideline and successfully throws the ball back onto the playing court. White catches the ball after Red saved it. For some reason my partner on the endline opposite side blows his whistle.

After he blows the whistle white shoots the ball and it goes in the basket.

I just give him one of those why in the hell are you blowing your whitles on my line and what are you even doing watching way over here looks. I am sure some of you have giving those or may have even had them given to you before.

So I ask him why he blew the ball dead and he says that he thought the kid was out of bounds and I told him that he wasn't. He said well I guess I just have an inadvertent whistle. I said yep.

He wanted to count the basket that white launched after he blew his whistle. I said no, we are just going to give the ball back to white since they had possession when you blew the whistle.

That is correct isn't it. Luckily, I have not had to deal with too many of these situations. What are the rules or procedures for handling an inadvertent whistle. I don't have my books with me today.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

You were correct - ball becomes dead when whistle is blown. Simply tell them "Official's error - inadvertant whistle" and give the ball to the team that had player control when the whistle was blown for a spot inbound. If there was no player control, go to the arrow.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

That is what I thought. Thank you very much. Also I was wondering if I mispelled inadvertant. I guess I did unless you mispelled it.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

The case book calls this an "accidental whistle." If Team A is in control when the accidental whistle sounds, they get a spot throw-in (you did it right). If neither team is in control, go to AP. Case 7.5.4

Z
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
That is what I thought. Thank you very much. Also I was wondering if I mispelled inadvertant. I guess I did unless you mispelled it.
Nope...it's "ent" your original was correct - haven't had my 2nd cup of tea yet this morning.......
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer accidental instead anyway. It is easier to spell
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Just for fun!

The human mind is a wonderful thing. Even though the words are mispelled below, I bet you can still read it. I got something similar in an email a few months ago.

Its been porven taht hmunas raed wolhe wrods. Tehrefroe, as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltetres are in teihr porepr pcale, the hmaun mnid can siltl raed it. So, why are we so cncoenred wtih seplilng?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I do vrey mcuh lkie taht. I am a vrey bad sepller and tihs hleps me.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach bail me out of an accidental whistle earlier this year in a freshman game. A1 is bring the ball up diagonally with B2 beside him. B2 has his hand on A1 but in no way is hindering his movement. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I feel a sneeze coming. I sneeze as I am spitting out and there is a little "tweet". Coach yells, "I told you to keep your hands off him!" I think, works for me, and report the foul.

So...still only one accidental whistle in all my games
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

The best 'out' I've heard so far to get out of an 'accidental' whistle is to turn and ask the coach "you did say you wanted a time out didn't ya coach"??

When he says "no", we (officials) say ok, my bad, and give a spot throw in for the team that had control at the time.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
The best 'out' I've heard so far to get out of an 'accidental' whistle is to turn and ask the coach "you did say you wanted a time out didn't ya coach"??

When he says "no", we (officials) say ok, my bad, and give a spot throw in for the team that had control at the time.
I would never do this.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't done it yet either. However, I also know of some folks that make up a foul call on a player 'just because they put air in their whistle and had to call something'.

If I ever get in the situation where I put air in my whistle accidentally, I hope I'll own up to it without punishing an innocent player.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 09:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
Couldn't let this pass. It was too easy. You misspelled misspelled. How classic can you get?