The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Opinions....thoughts

YouTube - Melissa Curtis takes head shot

Not my game, so I don't know a lot of the details but it is a game from out area so I am curious as to how you all handle this.

Do you have a flagrant on white, or just a common foul on red?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

It actually looks like she is trying to throw a behind the back/head pass to the girl on the wing - in which case there is nothing flagrant, but I have a pc foul for the elbow. Now if I judged that she did it intentionally then no question it is flagrant IMO.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Video's pretty grainy, so it's hard to tell for sure. Looks like red grabs white's arm, and due to momentum caused by the first foul, white hits red in the face when she tries to pass the ball away.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

They really shouldn't have tried to get her up so quickly. Where was the coach on this one???
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see anything flagrant about this. Just because you get hit in the head does not mean that was illegal. And it looks like the defender caused contact with the ball handler first and prevented the dribbler from passing the ball properly. Just because you got hit in the head does not mean someone was trying to hurt you. I got nothing but a regular foul as the officials appeared to have here.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:48pm
Esteemed Participant

I agree with the others so far - looks like the defender grabs the ball handler's arm and that causes all the commotion. It also looks like most of the "damage" comes when the back of her head hits the floor.

And I also agree that they should not have tried to get her up so quickly - not with the way her head hit.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah you guys are right, went back and looked again and I do see the arm grab - and the elbow looks to be the result of the momentum caused by the grab and subsequent body spin. Foul on red that's about it - again unless you judge that the spin and elbow by white was intentional. In which case you could have a false double with the second half being flagrant and ejection.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Would love to know if there was any "history" to this pair. Agreed it appears it should be simply common foul on red but, man, does it appear the ballhandler is totally indifferent about the defender hitting the deck -- and collapsing. That's the epitome of cold.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Would love to know if there was any "history" to this pair.
That might be true, but in this play I see nothing that says this was done intentionally in anyway. The ball handler was grabbed from behind and spun around. I agree she might not have been worried about the welfare of the opponent, but that had nothing to do with the contact that took place.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

What's with the soundtrack?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see anything flagrant about this. Just because you get hit in the head does not mean that was illegal. And it looks like the defender caused contact with the ball handler first and prevented the dribbler from passing the ball properly. Just because you got hit in the head does not mean someone was trying to hurt you. I got nothing but a regular foul as the officials appeared to have here.

Peace
Agree with Rut, it looks like she's attempting to pass. Thought she got hit with the ball the first time I looked. This does not look malicious to me, just something that sometimes happens in basketball. Too bad she didn't try to help her up the first time, but who teaches sportsmanship these days? Another question in this situation as the official, would you rule she needs a doctor approval to continue playing? She looks unconcious to me and that is what I would rule.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

From the video, she appears to me to lose conciousness when she falls to the floor.

No reasonable coach is going to put that player back in the game before getting checked out anyway, but in my game it's going to require a doctor's note.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Agree with Rut, it looks like she's attempting to pass. Thought she got hit with the ball the first time I looked. This does not look malicious to me, just something that sometimes happens in basketball. Too bad she didn't try to help her up the first time, but who teaches sportsmanship these days? Another question in this situation as the official, would you rule she needs a doctor approval to continue playing? She looks unconcious to me and that is what I would rule.
Yes....I wouldn't let her back in without a doc's approval.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Another question in this situation as the official, would you rule she needs a doctor approval to continue playing? She looks unconcious to me and that is what I would rule.
Yes, she is going to need doctor's approval if I am on the game. If she is not unconscious, I do not know what she is after falling out like that.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Would love to know if there was any "history" to this pair. Agreed it appears it should be simply common foul on red but, man, does it appear the ballhandler is totally indifferent about the defender hitting the deck -- and collapsing. That's the epitome of cold.

Agree I think it is impossible to know just watching the video. It comes down to the judgement of the official on the spot, and best believe if that is me and I had to separate the two of them at the other end of the floor 30 seconds ago, I am taking that into account when I decide what W's true intent was.