The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Agreed. Besides, wouldn't you rather err on the side of the player's safety rather than saying "Well, I'm no doctor, so I guess she can play..."
I'd rather not have the responsibility; but....
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

No way did she lose consciousness. She just got her bell rung and didnt want to jump right up. So she laid there for about 3-5 seconds. Ive seen unconscious and bell rung. That is clearly bell rung. Im not stepping in doo unless I have to - I will ask the coach if he wants to sub her out.

also if a player is unconscious you will see all her teammates on the floor calling for help. They will most likely be giving the univeral sign for "someone get your rear end here shes out cold" which we all know is the furious cand wave to call someone over...
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
also if a player is unconscious you will see all her teammates on the floor calling for help. They will most likely be giving the univeral sign for "someone get your rear end here shes out cold" which we all know is the furious cand wave to call someone over...
People that get their bell rung usually just don't fall flat on their face after getting up. That player is done until I get a Dr's note.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
No way did she lose consciousness. She just got her bell rung and didnt want to jump right up. So she laid there for about 3-5 seconds. Ive seen unconscious and bell rung. That is clearly bell rung. Im not stepping in doo unless I have to - I will ask the coach if he wants to sub her out.

Did you watch all the way to the end of the video? I agree...I don't think she lost consciousness right away. I think she lost consciousness when she got up then fell flat on her face.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Did you watch all the way to the end of the video? I agree...I don't think she lost consciousness right away. I think she lost consciousness when she got up then fell flat on her face.
Damn, I'd quit watching at that point. No way she comes back in without a note after that.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Im with snaq on this - i quit too - shes done without a note.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't watch it the first few times, either. I watched the remainder at one point just to watch the player reactions and how the officials handled it.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Damn, I'd quit watching at that point. No way she comes back in without a note after that.
Glad to see you write this, I was starting to lose faith in you!

Might have been Jeffpea's oversight too!

Remember guys, always watch the whole utube!!
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Glad to see you write this, I was starting to lose faith in you!

Might have been Jeffpea's oversight too!

Remember guys, always watch the whole utube!!
Hey, I'd refrained from commenting on that particular issue.

Frankly, my original and unstated opinion was that the video was inconclusive on the issue; and I was about to write it when the prompting came to watch the end.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
....rules say that we can determine a player is unconscious. Now we may not be totally accurate, but all that is required for them to play is a verification of their health and fortunately or unfortunately we are given that responsibility here. And for the record this is a NF policy in other rules like Football and Baseball (I would assume that this is also the case in other NF rulebooks for different sports) that I work that uses the same language and puts officials/umpires in the same responsibility for making this determination.
Peace
The NFHS Soccer rule is very similar. I had an interesting situation in a Sectional Final. Players collided in the air "knocking" heads. This occurred right in front of my spectator side Assistant Referee. The AR told me the visiting player stated "I was out for a second." I informed the coach, and requested a sub. At half time an adult came to me with the player. He said he was an MD, he gave me a paper that had 5 or so little stick figures drawn on it indicating each "test" he had preformed on the player. At the bottom was his address, the date and his Signature. I allowed the player to play in the second half. Filed a report with the State after the game and I still have the signed note. The MD was a fan of the Home team but still provided his "services" free to the visiting player.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 12:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I must have read a different statement. What I read said (paraphrasing now), while it most likely did not cause any harm to the player, it is not accepted medical practice.

Just checked, it was the treating physician:

Final edit. Looks like the trainer wasn't exactly on board, either.
I do not claim to know all the details or following the situation that closely. All I know is that there was a report that I saw that claimed the trainer and doctor said what took place was OK. Now those were reports which I would not be in the least bit surprised that did not tell the entire story or the story found other developments later on. Either way it goes, the point I was making is that this is why you want a doctor to give consent because a coach might play a player that is not capable to handle the trauma.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 12:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with you on that, Jeff. There's too much pressure on them to win to also entrust them with the decision on concussions.

You made me curious, though, so I had to read more on it.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Would love to know if there was any "history" to this pair. Agreed it appears it should be simply common foul on red but, man, does it appear the ballhandler is totally indifferent about the defender hitting the deck -- and collapsing. That's the epitome of cold.
I have always enjoyed cold women.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
for those of you that said she lost conciousness, can i ask what medical school you attended which trained you to make that diagnosis from the chair in front of your computer screen?

while you may play the role of basketball official many evenings during the winter, don't pretend to be a medical professional....if you have a question about it, ask the trainer/medical staff at the game; don't make that judgement on your own.
I use to watch Doctor Quinn medicine woman. I see a player lose conciousness, I make them get a Doc's written approval before letting player in again,and I've done something wrong.

I'm on the side of the angels here.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Getting one's "bell rung", from everything I've read is typically a concussion. You don't mess with concussions.

The way she fell gives me reasonable evidence of "lost consciousness". I'm erring on the side of caution here and there is no way that young woman is taking the floor in this game unless I get a Doctor's note.