The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm blue now, but this occurred when I was just a player.

2 outs, I'm pitching. Opposing team has 9 players in a coed game, and I'm pitching to player number 9 - the next batter is the automatic out.

I throw 4 straight balls. (Not necessarily an intentional walk, but I certainly didn't give her anything to hit solidly - I'd actually rather gotten her out normally, and started the next inning with an out). Her coach tells her the inning is over, and she heads for the dugout. I ask my catcher for the ball and wait. When she hits the dugout (my team is already starting to leave the field, but I don't believe anyone was in the dugout yet, if it matters), I ask for the ball and toss it to my 1B and tell her to step on the base, appealing the batter never reaching 1B.

Umpire (correctly, I believe) rules her out - 3 outs. And I get to start the next inning with the auto-out afterall.

2 questions - was the umpire correct? Was this bad sportsmanship on my part?

I've always considered myself a good sport - both when winning and losing, but will do anything legal to win a game. I don't think this was bad sportsmanship --- but the other team disagreed very vocally. Just curious to hear your opinions.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have never played or umped coed, so I'm not familiar with the rules. However, from your description of the events, I'll give my opinion. The automatic doesn't occur until the batter takes 1st on the walk, so it's probably a correct call. As a ballplayer, I would consider this bad sportsmanship. Knowing you have an out coming up, is no excuse for not pitching to someone.
I was going to go on and on, but I'll stop right here. My opinion is it's bad sportsmanship, regardless of which team I was on.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
I'm blue now, but this occurred when I was just a player.

2 outs, I'm pitching. Opposing team has 9 players in a coed game, and I'm pitching to player number 9 - the next batter is the automatic out.

I throw 4 straight balls. (Not necessarily an intentional walk, but I certainly didn't give her anything to hit solidly - I'd actually rather gotten her out normally, and started the next inning with an out). Her coach tells her the inning is over, and she heads for the dugout. I ask my catcher for the ball and wait. When she hits the dugout (my team is already starting to leave the field, but I don't believe anyone was in the dugout yet, if it matters), I ask for the ball and toss it to my 1B and tell her to step on the base, appealing the batter never reaching 1B.

Umpire (correctly, I believe) rules her out - 3 outs. And I get to start the next inning with the auto-out afterall.

2 questions - was the umpire correct? Was this bad sportsmanship on my part?

I've always considered myself a good sport - both when winning and losing, but will do anything legal to win a game. I don't think this was bad sportsmanship --- but the other team disagreed very vocally. Just curious to hear your opinions.
Speaking ASA

The ruling is correct, and it doesn't make any difference if anyone from your team was in the dugout as long as any infielder (including the pitcher) had not left fair territory, the appeal is legal.

As far as sportsmanship, getting an out is part of the game regardless of the opponent's gender.

It's unbelieveable how many AAs just continue to run when they know the automatic out is going to be the next batter. When they are put out, I just stand there and shake my head. Of course, I don't mind starting their next half-inning with an out

I don't know why the other team would complain about anything, but their ignorance.

Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Rules are there for a reason and just because you take the time to know the rules and they do not does not make for a bad sportsman, it makes for a knowledgeable one IMHO.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Question Question for my edification....

First of all, I am assuming that the original play happened in a SP game. I have not done SP for a long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ball dead in Co-ed once it crosses the plate? If this is so, you have a player entering the dugout during a dead ball. Why is that player subject to appeal? Isn't this along the same lines as the player hit by the pitch not touching first as was discussed in another post?

Somebody set me straight.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I think it is ... but in the other post, the girl HBP is out if she doesn't accept her award (unless she's unable to continue, of course).

The other difference is that they were not replacing her at first (like with a CR), and there was no reason she could not accept her award of 1B.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Question for my edification....

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
First of all, I am assuming that the original play happened in a SP game. I have not done SP for a long time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ball dead in Co-ed once it crosses the plate? If this is so, you have a player entering the dugout during a dead ball. Why is that player subject to appeal? Isn't this along the same lines as the player hit by the pitch not touching first as was discussed in another post?

Somebody set me straight.
This player abandoned their effort to advance to 1B and left the field of play. What do you suggest the umpire and defense do, just stand there and watch the other team come out onto the field? The defense cannot leave the field of play or they lose their right to protest.

To me, this is an easy one.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

Yeah Lady, you didn't hit, got a walk and to earn that walk, you must go and touch 1st. Give me a break! AA players, AA coaches, and you wonder why I gave up SP.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clear up my earlier post. I consider it bad sportsmanship to elect not to pitch to the batter. After she receives ball four, shame on her if she doesn't go to the bag. The other team should know the rules also. But you should have pitched to her.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't exactly walk her intentionally. Like I said in the first post, I'd have preferred getting her out normally and starting the next inning with the auto-out. And this was the nine-hole hitter, so it wasn't like I was afraid of her.

On the other hand, knowing that I had an out coming, I didn't throw perfect pitches either. I was trying to get her to pop one up, but she didn't bite. I figured that if (IF!) she knew she HAD to try to hit it, she'd expand the zone for me --- she just didn't.

The "bad sportsmanship" yelling was for grabbing the easy out for her not advancing to first. They didn't like that at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Every year I (reluctantly) work a few co-ed business league games, and sometimes I see play that, though within the rules of the game, is to me unsportsmanlike.

The male players range from men who play in some of the lower-level township leagues to men in their seventies to men who last played ball in LL. The women range from good "gym class" players to purely picnic level. Many of the players are obviously simply "warm bodies" out for fun or filling in slots. A few have a little talent, but the overall quality is very low.

But then there are the heroes who think that games between teams made up of such players actually prove something.

To me, when a guy who plays in a couple of men's leagues takes advantage of an inexperienced woman who is standing in front of 2B without the ball, slides in hard but legally, and trips her up so he can take off for 3B when the ball gets away, that's unsportsmanlike.

When an old man comes to bat and the coach wants time out so he can bring the outfield way in and place everybody to best advantage, that's unsportsmanlike.

When the runners have stopped with the ball in the infield, and a guy takes off for home on the throw to the pitcher because he knows the woman they hid behind the plate won't be able to make the play at home, that's unsportsmanlike.

In the situation described at the beginning of this thread, I would not have appealed the BR who did not go to 1B. I would not do "anything legal" to win in a game like that. I wouldn't hit back up the middle if I thought the pitcher might not be good enough to protect himself. I wouldn't tag some woman who stepped off the base thinking time out had been called. Maybe it's because it so disgusted me, when my son played LL, to see managers pulling every trick they could think of to gain an advantage, like using a loophole in the league rule to get around the last batter in the lineup by having the pitcher hit him with a pitch. Why? So they could go home and write in their little book that they coached their team to another victory?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, greymule, it is not against the rules to play aggressively in a rec game.

While much of the behavior you describe is lacking in class and in the layman's definition of sportsmanship, I see nothing that an umpire can do about them, with the possible exception of the hard slide, since intentionally trying to take out a player is illegal and is a judgment call. HTBT, of course.

Humiliating opposing players by making a show of defensive positioning ... maybe the "disparaging remarks ... or other acts" part of Rule 10-9A could be stretched to cover, I don't know - I guess it would depend upon how big a show it was.

I don't put your examples in the same category as mbcrowder's original situation. While it could be true that his game was a glorified picnic game, there are some fairly serious (as such things go) co-rec leagues around here, and in those leagues just giving the "girl" the benefit of being ignorant of the rules is insulting. Knowing the rules is not the same as being an "A" player playing down to beat up on less athletic teams / players. Everyone can know the rules.

[Edited by Dakota on Oct 1st, 2003 at 05:38 PM]
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming slow pitch. Is it legal? Perhaps but if I was behind the plate you'd be getting a 4th out dead ball appeal as the moment ball four was called she ceased being a batter and the short hand rule says that an out occurs when the vacant spot is reached. As to the sportsmanship, nobody says you have to shake hands either.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Assuming slow pitch. Is it legal? Perhaps but if I was behind the plate you'd be getting a 4th out dead ball appeal as the moment ball four was called she ceased being a batter and the short hand rule says that an out occurs when the vacant spot is reached. As to the sportsmanship, nobody says you have to shake hands either.
Speaking ASA

Nope, that doesn't work. It would take less than three seconds to lose that protest.

I can see it now. Bottom of the 7th, two outs and the home team down by a run and the number 9 player in the batting order which has the 10th spot vacant. A shot to the fence looks like an inside the park home run to tie the game, BUT NO! Since the 9th batter has completed their turn at bat, the out is declared for the vacant spot as the #9 player is rounding 2nd. Game over!

An umpire may not entertain an appeal during a dead ball period until all running assignments have obviously come to a conclusion. This means that if you cannot rule on a play in progress, you certainly cannot rule on the next batter due up.

Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I can't find in the rule book anything that says when a player becomes the batter. Why can't I during a dead ball call for the batter, finding that there is no batter then call the automatic out? I'm not preventing anyone from completing there running duties nor preventing an appeal. Let's say I call the third out at 3rd after a run crosses the plate and the batter runner missed 1st. I'm not stopping the runner from retagging nor am I stopping the defense from appealing for the fourth out and preventing the run from scoring. In the example that you gave will there be another batter? No, so you can announce the 3rd out and let everyone finish their respective jobs and move on. In fast pitch it would be different because it's a live ball and people could be stealing but in slow pitch it's a dead ball appeal.