The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 06:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When in Rome......

Inconsistantly consistant.....that's my Association when it comes to certain practices such as this - I go with the flow.

I've had the R - "After the game we are going to stand and watch the handshakes and then walk to the table with the ball and thank the table. After all, we didn't run onto the court, why should we run off?"

I've also had the R - "After the game I will look to the table to see if everything is ok and we're outa here."

It also goes for taking the court:

I've had the R - "At 12 minutes go to the table, at 4 minutes get captains, at 1 minute get coaches." I've had 10 minutes, 3 minutes and 1 minute....

I had an R the other night say - "We're taking Captains as soon as we hit the floor. 12 minutes it's the table, and after player introduction its coaches."

Ho hum, to each their own......
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Bingo, include this on the pet peeve thread for me. Game over........outta there.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Inconsistantly consistant.....that's my Association when it comes to certain practices such as this - I go with the flow.

1. I've had the R - "After the game we are going to stand and watch the handshakes and then walk to the table with the ball and thank the table. After all, we didn't run onto the court, why should we run off?"

I've also had the R - "After the game I will look to the table to see if everything is ok and we're outa here."

It also goes for taking the court:

2. I've had the R - "At 12 minutes go to the table, at 4 minutes get captains, at 1 minute get coaches." I've had 10 minutes, 3 minutes and 1 minute....

I had an R the other night say - "We're taking Captains as soon as we hit the floor. 12 minutes it's the table, and after player introduction its coaches."

Ho hum, to each their own......
1. I would tell this R to enjoy himself, and that I'll meet him in the locker room. But I can say with certainty no R around here worth impressing would say this. We actually do jog onto the court, but that's beside the point.

2. This differs quite a bit here as well.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Why do some officials insist on doing this after a heated contest where T's have been given out? This has happened to me on several occasions over the past couple of years. I give out a T to a coach towards the end of the game, and he is still hot and bothered by it when the buzzer sounds. I am wanting to get off the floor and into the locker room before he can confront me about it, but my partner is lollygagging, trying to track down the ball and return it to the scorer's table and thank the nice ladies for what a great job they've done.

I don't want to abandon my partner out there, seeing as though the coach could just as easily confront him on his way to the locker room, and then he's all alone, but I absolutely hate having to stand around waiting for my partner to gather up the stinking ball and open myself up for a needless post-game confrontation.

Thoughts?
I really don't see why all the fuss about this mechanic. The R is by rule suppose to confer with the scorer at halftime to determine the possession arrow is pointed in the proper direction and to approve the score at each half. Why not take the ball over to the table at the same time? Also, often we wear our jackets out to start the game and leave them at the table. We then pick them up at half time.

Now, I realize there is nothing in the book that says we have to be at the table to confer with the scorer. We could make arrangements before the tipoff to have the scorer give us a thumbs up if everything is correct. Some of our officials do this for the score at the end of the game. However, this is different in that the game is over and we have no more responsibilities unless there is a problem with the score.

We can also have a pre-arrange signaled to have them flip the arrow. Also, we could leave our jackets at the table. However, we are just going to have go pick them up after the game, which again puts you in a possible confrontation with the coach.

Here's how we handle it in my area. We wait at the center of the court until all players and coaches have left, then approach the table. If the coach wants to stay and be confrontational, we have a tool to use to take care of this situation. It's called a T.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 10:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. I would tell this R to enjoy himself, and that I'll meet him in the locker room.
While I certainly understand your point, as a fourth yr official who just started working some V games this yr, it would not be in my best interest to utilize this approach.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I really don't see why all the fuss about this mechanic.

While your points are all good, the discussion is about the END of the game, not half-time.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Oh, never mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While your points are all good, the discussion is about the END of the game, not half-time.
My bad!

Now I understand! Yeah, leave the ball alone at the end of the game!
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
While I certainly understand your point, as a fourth yr official who just started working some V games this yr, it would not be in my best interest to utilize this approach.
Under normal circumstances, I'd be with you. This is my second year in this association, a I'm really in no position to do something like that. However, I am not heading to the table. I'd be willing to stand by the door while he does what he feels he needs to do. But if he's going to stick around for the handshake, he's on his own. He's just asking to be forced to call a T, or open himself up to a free verbal shot from a coach.

I'm not sprinting off the court like the cops are chasing me, but I'm not wasting any time either. I jogged onto the court, and I'll jog off thank you.

In all honesty, I think my first response would be, "You're going to do what?" I would think he was joking.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac,

Thank you for your apologies to all of us in MA. I guess if there is a good thing about having to stay for the handshake it's that we don't have to worry about whether to return the ball to the table or not. I mean might as well since we have to hang around for the dog and pony show.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

At the end of the game......

I am outty 5000 Geeeeeeee!!!!!

Peace
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
...I jogged onto the court...
Hmmmm...that might look good.

We don't do that around these parts...except now that I think of it, some of the guys may have done that at State.

Do a lot of you jog onto the court for pre-game warm-ups?

We just kind of saunter out there looking cool...
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Hmmmm...that might look good.

We don't do that around these parts...except now that I think of it, some of the guys may have done that at State.

We just kind of saunter out there looking cool...
It's standard practice here.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 03:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Have Large Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am outty 5000 Geeeeeeee!!!!!
When I'm R, I have whomever is closest to the ball scoop it up, take it to the locker room, then I take it home with me. I have a nice collection of hundreds of new basketballs in my rec room, each a memory of the game from which I heisted it. Gonna have to build another rec room pretty soon, since the walls are just about filled up.
Not really.
But frankly, I think BillyMac and Mark Padgett have been doing this all along. At their ages, they've probably got about a thousand or two each!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Ghost Of Emily Latella ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Oh, never mind!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Watch My Reverse Layup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
... and then I get into the layup line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)